American Express Specialist Business Development Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Express Specialist Business Development Interview Questions

Specialist Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2012.

Interview

I received a call from HR in under 24 hours after submitting my resume. The opportunity is an entry level position. If you want to make descent money...do not take this position. Your base will be $38K with and OTE of under $50K and yes your commissions are capped(they really aren't commissions because even if you don't hit your quota you get the same "bonus" 2K a quarter and if you exceed your quota still get the same $2K bonus/quarter). As far as opportunities for advancement...they promote based on seniority not merit and you must be in the position 18-24 mo before they will even consider you for a promotion.
The initial interview was pretty basic...asked questions about my resume and background. Once I heard the compensation and advancement opportunities I stopped listening.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Specialist Business Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

Phone interview (was lied to about amount of guaranteed commission for first year, was told would be $12,000 and when I started, I was informed it would be $8,000. Also told that the administrative part of job was less than 25% when it ended up being a great deal more. Only a few hours a day devoted to actually making sales and rest of time was spent on other duties)
    Then had face to face with manager and a fellow SBD.
    Then had to develop a sales presentation using a fictitious company and had to do a "cold call" where one of the managers acted like a potential client and I had to "close" them

Interview Questions

• The face to face was actually more conversational, not a lot of the usual interview questions   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations, salary, benefits etc are set in stone