American Express Travel Counselor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Express Travel Counselor Interview Questions

Updated Dec 26, 2016

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in December 2016.

Interview

***APPLICATION IS COMPLETE...I HAVE NOT COMPLETED ENTIRE EXPERIENCE YET, so I have not received an offer or a rejection. Just want to help people who are in the beginning or middle of the process so far.

I have completed the application process with a referral from a friend who currently works for Amex. The application itself is easy. In the past I have applied for a position with the in-bound global corporate customer care department. I made it to a phone interview with that position, but unfortunately goofed on my resume with stating I had my degree when I was technically one class short. I told the recruiter that I was one class shy of my degree and she nicely explained to me that American Express verifies everything on my resume and therefore that would look deceptive to a recruiter on paper. I am positive that is why my interview process with that position stopped and I was declined for the position. Between the application and the phone interview, I had to do the online assessment. Make sure you have an uninterrupted, distraction free hour to complete the assessment. It is not terribly difficult, but it did take reading and some serious math skills on my part to finish. I finished the assessment with time left over, and felt good about 90% of my answers.

Interview Questions

• Several questions for this interview were, "Why did you apply for the entry level travel counselor position" "Tell about a time where you provided an extraordinary experience rather than an ordinary experience for someone" "What is your proudest achievement up to this point in your career?" "What is something you are passionate about?"   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Express (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview was a digital interview using hirevue an app. It's basically a recording of yourself that is stored in the hiring teams files and can be watched at their convenience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Miami, FL) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview was a digital interview using hirevue an app. It's basically a recorded interview. It was extremely difficult for me concentrated in the questions when I was watching myself talking to a computer screen. A week after I received a phone call for a second interview. This time, the HR's person was very polite and it was a real pleasure the experience because it was real simple questions about myself and the interest in the Travel field.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawrenceville, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Express (Lawrenceville, GA).

Interview

The interview process was easy and pretty straightforward. There will be an assessment, virtual, and what they called a round robin where 3-4 other applicants will move from table to table answering questions from HR. The assessment asked about 10-15 questions. virtual interview asked 5 questions which you may take on your phone. The phone interview go over work history and Touch up on questions from the virtual interview. HE will also go over pay, perks and so on

Interview Questions

• If you can travel any where where would it be and why?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Lawrenceville, GA) in April 2016.

Interview

Standard interview filled with questions about past work history, and how it would relate to this job. Do some research and know the blue box values. Make sure you answer every question with the STAR format and you will be successful! Good Luck!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you went above and beyond your job to help a customer who was in need.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had to bend or go around policy to satisfy a customer, in what situation is this acceptable if any?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiating was possible. Set rate for position.

Travel Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Express in April 2016.

Interview

The interview process is thorough, it takes a total of 3-4 weeks. First you apply and take an assessment, depending on the score of that you are invited to complete a virtual interview, then a phone interview, then a physical interview. The background check is very thorough as well.

Interview Questions

• What was a critical task you encountered with one of your employers in the past, and what did you learn from this task?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Miramar, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Express (Miramar, FL) in January 2016.

Interview

My process was rather quick. I applied online on round January 2nd and got a reply on January 4th saying that they reviewed my application and they would send me an email with an invitation to do a video interview. The invitation came 2 mins after that first email and I did the interview that same day on January 4th. On January 6th I got a call and the young lady asked if I was free to do a phone interview and I said yes and I did the phone interview right then and there the whole call lasted for about 30-35 minutes. The questions were basically asking about my work background and experience. After completing the phone interview I was told that she would like to invite me for a face-to-face interview the next day which was January 7th at 9am. I arrived at the American Express office in Miramar at 8:45am with 2 other candidates. I was then invited in at 9am promptly and we all a got a brief introductions to the 3 team leaders who would be interviewing us. They were all pleasant and all gave brief introductions of themselves. My interview here was about 40 mins long with a variety of situational questions as well as questions specific to the job I was applying for. After the interview ended I spoke with the Operations Manager for the Travel division who was very nice and she just asked me a few additional questions. After the interview ended I was told that I would get a response in the next 1-2 weeks. If i got the job I would get a call if not I would get an email. Good news I got my call on January 15 and they offered me the position which of course I accepted. My 11 week training as a Travel Counsellor begins on February 8th and I am looking forward to it. So the whole process from application to getting the job took 13 days, all that was surprisingly quick to me.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time that you went above and beyond to please a customer?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Express (Jacksonville, FL).

Interview

Very lengthy and really bad company too investigate you. Had 2 people calling and doubling up on questions. The right hand did not know what the left hand was doing!

Interview Questions

• An example of going above and beyond in work   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation just offered entry salary. Interview was great, as was by actual employees, who were nice and asked relevant questions. Online testing was ridiculous!

Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at American Express (Dearborn, MI).

Interview

In person, with situational questions. The interviewer was very kind and put me at ease. She was willing to repeat questions if needed and seemed present during the process. I was given a tour of the offices and felt very comfortable being myself and being understood and respected.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a client who calls and is upset with you over something you did not do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

The process is so long! It started mid November and just now they sent me a general email saying I wasn't selected. I didn't hear back for almost 1 month. The interviewer talked mostly about himself and how great and amazing he was. They are also very unorganized. They sent me an email to say the second interview was a phone interview, then send another email to say it would be an in-office interview. All BS.

Interview Questions

• No difficult question. All of their questions are give me an example of when...   Answer Question