American Girl Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at American Girl

2.3

Kitchen Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Girl (Natick, MA) in June 2014.

Interview

Great questions and conversation about food service industry. I met with 2 managers at the location and had a brief tour of the facility. I also had a phone screen interview before and after the in person meeting

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you disagreed with a co worker or supervisor and how did you resolve it.   Answer Question

SALES CLERK Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Girl.

Interview

A Sales manager or the HR manager will conduct the interview and determine the right fit. There are positions for Stock, Sales, Bistro, Security, Hair Salon, and Visual. All departments require people to be friendly and team players, since the work environment involves constant interpersonal communication.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time where you didn't get along with one of your co-workers   1 Answer

Negotiation

Pay is set. Must have weekend availability.

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at American Girl (Saint Louis, MO) in October 2015.

Interview

They have a packet full of several open ended questions and they ask you two from each page. They're pretty standard. You have to pass a background check and a drug test, I think.

Interview Questions

• Name a time that you went above and beyond to help a customer, coworker, or friend.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Girl (Kansas City, MO) in July 2012.

Interview

After submitting an application online, I heard back from the HR dept a day later. The woman left me a voicemail, describing that she wanted to set up an in-person interview. I called her back, and asked if I could have a phone interview (I am in Maryland, the position was in Kansas). She said that was fine, and we set up an appointment later that week.

She called right on time, and started with a couple of really basic introduction questions. Then, she spent about 40 minutes asking questions that I thought were EXTREMELY difficult considering this was basically an entry-level position that only required a high school diploma. Of course, I can't remember most of these questions.

I didn't do very well on the interview, or so I thought. About a week later, I got a phone call asking to set up another phone interview. When the time for the second interview came, they called right on time. Again, I thought the questions were pretty tricky considering this was an entry level position. However, I had done a little more research this time, so I was more prepared. The interview ended up lasting about an hour, and they said they would let me know within a week or so.

Sales Lead Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Girl in February 2009.

Interview

Very Easy, Used general HR questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tysons, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Girl (Tysons, VA).

Interview

I found the ad for a Sales Lead on Craigslist. I had to follow up a few times before I got a response. When I did, the HR person was pretty unprofessional. Literally, the reply was "r U sure U want this job?? It is hourly?? No signature - nothing. I suppose that was a clue to the professionalism of the store. Anyway, went to the first interview with the Assistant Store Manager, and of the three people I met, she seemed the nicest. Next was the manager, and she didn't seem to be at all familiar with my resume, or with American Girl for that matter. The third interview was with who would become my supervisor, and first, she was 20 minutes late, without informing me or apologizing, then she spent the interview ranting about how it was a "toxic" work environment because what the company says and what it does are two different things, and her main complaint? They made it so difficult to fire people. I asked about their training and discipline process, and she literally gave me a blank stare. Apparently there is only hiring and firing in their world. It was a sad experience.

Interview Questions

• What was unexpected was not any particular question, but how disorganized and strangely hostile towards employees the interviewer(s) seemed. There is a problem employee in almost every workplace, but if you think all your employees need to be fired, you are probably the problem, not them. The third interviewer in particular seemed to have no awareness of how she was coming across, or that an interview isn't just about the employer selecting an employee, but also vice versa. I expected more from what I would consider a more 'upscale' or sophisticated company.   Answer Question

It seemed like a somewhat disorganized, drama-filled environment. I may have misjudged, but didn't want to risk finding out.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Girl (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

Initial phone interview asking about previous experience and then two days later short in person interview at store. Was offered job onsite and filled out all my paperwork that day

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you went over the top to give a customer a great experience   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Girl (Lynnwood, WA).

Interview

They asked me about my experience over the phone and then invited me to come in for a formal interview. I originally interviewed for a server position but they didn't have any seasonal server positions open so I came back for another, shorter interview for the sales position.

Group Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Girl (Chicago, IL) in August 2014.

Interview

First phone interview, then in person interview with direct supervisor followed by in person interview with local HR. The entire process took quite a while but they were hiring two of the same positions at the same time.

Interview Questions

• How you connect to the brand?   1 Answer

Host Interview

Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Girl (Franklin, TN) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online. A few weeks later, I was contacted by the manager wanting to schedule an interview. I went to the interview location one week later at the scheduled time, was greeted in a very friendly manner, asked to fill out a paper application as well as availability forms and such, and then waited until the manager could speak with me. I was very comfortable, this was definitely one of the best interview processes I've experienced.
    I received a call a couple days later giving me an offer. I had to go back to the interview location to accept the offer in person.

Interview Questions

• "How would you handle a mother insisting on being seated at a certain table, even if it is reserved for someone else?"   Answer Question