American Heart Association Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Heart Association Interview Questions

Updated Feb 22, 2017

3.2

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Heart Association.

Interview

The interview process is very similar to those at other nonprofit organizations. Upper management at the American Heart Association uses LinkedIn to find potential candidates so make sure to keep that up to date. I hear the interview process is different between offices but, in general, there is usually a phone interview, and two in person interviews before the position is offered.

Interview Questions

• What do you think will be the most challenging and most rewarding part of this job?   1 Answer

Fundraising Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Heart Association.

Interview

The process took more THREE MONTHS. I was offered the job, but I declined the offer. Throughout the course of interviewing with them, I was obviously applying for and interviewing with other organizations.

After applying online, someone from HR called to ask general questions about my experience. After that, I was sent a link to take an online video interview. There were five questions. I was given 30 seconds to read the questions, and 2 minutes to answer. No one was on the other end (it's just a recording). The experience was a bit off-putting, but I survived. After that, I had to fill out a personality profile which consisted of 350 questions. A bit much to say the least.

After the video interview, I was invited to attend a panel interview. There were three people in the room and the interview took about two hours. Be prepared to talk about your resume in-depth. You will be asked about every job you've listed (why you joined that organization, the relationship you had with your supervisor, the positives and negatives of the experience, why you left, etc). The next step involved a phone interview with a higher level VP that lasted about one hour. I was told at the end of that call that I was one of two final candidates.

Two weeks went by without a word. I followed-up with all the appropriate parties after each interview. Regardless of which way they went, I expected to hear something either way. I continued to follow-up with them, but received no response. After two weeks, she finally called. When I told her I had accepted an offer with another organization, she was clearly upset. She told me I was her top choice, but I was quick to remind her that I had made several attempts to connect with her and never received a response.

I'm guessing the #2 candidate had also accepted another job because two weeks after all of that happened, I saw that the job had been reposted. Hopefully they learned their lesson.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the AHA? Why are you interested in working for the AHA? What drew you to this opportunity? How will your previous experience make you successful in this role? What specific skills will you bring to the position? How do you hold yourself accountable? How do you handle conflict? How do you define success? What is your communication style? What would say were the strengths and weaknesses of your previous supervisor? What would your previous supervisor say were your strengths and weaknesses? Why will you be successful in this job? What efforts have you implemented in other positions that would make you succeed in this role? How do you organize your time and manage work priorities? How do you deal with difficult customers?   Answer Question

I accepted an offer with a different organization.

Senior Director of Corporate Events Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Heart Association (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

1st step phone interview from HR, 2nd was a video recording of myself answering questions, 3rd was an in person with hiring manager - this was lengthy, and new, but HR was very helpful. Once the 3rd interview occurred, I was not emailed or brought in - no further contact. While HR was very helpful, there was not a warm environment once in the office.

Interview Questions

• Numbers numbers numbers - they seem to only be concerned with revenue stream - programming didn't come up.   Answer Question

Health Equity Director Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at American Heart Association.

Interview

The whole process thankfully went very quickly due to my availability and that the hiring manager happened to be in town that week I submitted my application. It starts with a video interview with 5 questions. The recruiter sends info to supervisor of the position and then I was contacted for an in person individual interview with the department director. That went great so I went on to interview with the vice president of the department, which was over the phone. Not a fan of phone interviews. Just know your stuff about the company, specifically the department. They loved all the specific questions I asked them about the program, surrounding target population, and future growth.

Interview Questions

• Explain your experience with health programs.   Answer Question
    • Explain a time you got overwhelmed, a time you were proud of, a difficult job assignment, a time you made a wrong decision and result, a project that you were assigned that you were frustrated with and results   Answer Question
    • What 3 words would a former boss use to describe you and what would they say are your 3 weaknesses.   Answer Question

Fundraising Director - Education Sector Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at American Heart Association (Houston, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

I completed a video interview that consisted of seven questions. You were given 30 seconds to review each question and two minutes to answer. This was my first video interview. I found it challenging to answer questions to my computer screen. Without being able to develop rapport with another person, I felt at an extreme disadvantage. The questions themselves were the type that I expected and were not difficult. The format itself was just new to me.

Interview Questions

• What is the largest territory you have covered and how many hours have you spent in your car covering that territory on a weekly basis?   1 Answer

American Heart Association Response

Aug 10, 2016 – Talent Acquisition & Engagement

Thank you for sharing your experience taking one of our video interviews and glad that you had a positive experience overall. Taking video interviews for the first time can be a little challenging ... More

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Heart Association (Tucson, AZ) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process for the American Heart Association intern program was in depth and values based. I fell in love with the company and the cause. Everyone in the Tucson office was so welcoming and displayed their connection to the fight against cardiovascular disease and stroke. The interview included three directors interviewing myself.

Fundraiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Heart Association (Milwaukee, WI) in June 2016.

Interview

The initial interview was very well done and was a qualifying interview. The second interview was with two people in the fundraising area; both individuals had previous experience in the position. Both interviews were about an hour in length. The first interview stressed the mission of the AHA and the fundraising goals for the area, in the second interview the fundraising goals had grown by $100,000.00 and the interviewers told me to throw out the mission statement, there was an apparent conflict of corporate and local goals, in so much that it was a relief not to advance in the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Imagine myself in the position, what would I do in a deadline situation, when "those little kids will do anything for a stupid plastic necklace."   1 Answer

Temporary Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at American Heart Association (Irving, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

2 person interview, interview only lasted 20 minutes (bad sign) and they didn't ask me any of the "typical" interview questions. I think they saw my age when I walked in and that's all they needed to know .......

Interview Questions

• We talked for 5 minutes about my commute to work . . . they did ask why do you want to work here which was the same question they asked me on the phone interview, and the same person was interviewing me ....   1 Answer

Director of Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Heart Association (Dallas, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

Emailed with talent coordinator within a week of applying. Was sent a link for a personality assessment and for a prerecorded online video interview. Withing a few days had an in person interview with the marketing supervisor.

Interview Questions

• If you're hired what would you do on your first day?   Answer Question
    • Discuss a time when you and a supervisor didn't get along   Answer Question

Administrative Associate Interview

Interview

I applied online and received a call and email from their corporate office(?) in Montana. This made everything feel disconnected, as I wasn't interviewing with people that I would be working with. I had a phone interview that lasted about 30 minutes. Unfortunately the interview was rushed as the interviewer was behind schedule and seemed to have many other applicants to call that day. But other than that she was very kind. After this interview I received a email containing 3 Microsoft office skills assessment tests for word, PowerPoint and excel. I am trained in Microsoft office programming but some of the questions REALLY stumped me. You are given 3 attempts on each question which I'm sure effects your score as well as the time it took to answer each question. Although I technically passed each exam I still did not receive a call back.