American Honda Motor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 20, 2017

2.8

Communications Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Honda Motor (Torrance, CA).

Interview

Applied on-line thru corporate website. Quick phone interview first, then I was invited to corporate HQ for a 1 on 1 interview where I met with other team members.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Honda Motor.

Interview

My HR recruiter was very bad.
    She called me suddenly to ask if I'd be interested in interviewing. When I said yes, she asked if I would drive to the office (~1 hour away) at that moment. When I said no, she spent an hour asking me standard and specific interview questions. She then scheduled a time for us to interview a few weeks later. When we interviewed again, she asked me the exact same questions.

After she interviewed me for an hour, she told me the hiring manager was about to call. I had not been warned about this. You don't spring an interview on people. This turned a one hour interview into a 2.5 hour surprise ordeal.

My hiring manager actually impressed me so much that I decided to work at Honda. That was in spite of the HR experience. Probably the worst interview experience I've ever had.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Senior Environment and Safety Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Honda Motor (Torrance, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

The overall interview process was smooth and efficient. I was contacted for a phone interview by AHM Human Resources within one week of submitting my application via the online system.
    Following my 15-20 minute phone interview I was contacted within two weeks for an in-person interview. I met with two of the scheduled three individuals regarding my experience and the opportunity. Everyone was pleasant and nice.

Interview Questions

• During the group/panel interview I was asked to pitch the group on a current product or campaign.   Answer Question

Field Technical Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at American Honda Motor (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Met with two technicians for about an hour.
    They seemed to be unfamiliar with newer technology processes as well as alternative ways to prevent a buy back situation. Surprising as they are in California, which is notorious for buy backs.
    Then with four executives for about an hour and a half. Posed multiple questions, the standard interview group process. I thought my background and the answers I gave were solid.

Interview Questions

• Technicians asked general repair questions, basic stuff any mechanic should know.
      Then went into more difficult aspects that would require someone with in depth knowledge. Such as code questions, and how to find the way to repair.
      When I gave specific in depth answers, they seemed not to be aware of the techniques to get to the root of the problem.
      The second half was a disappointment to say the least.
      I can say this, it was very unprofessional and a true waste of my time.
      Answer Question

Field Technical Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Honda Motor (Torrance, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online on Honda's website. Got a phone call which involved a few job related questions but no where near a formal "phone interview". Was then selected to go to a in-person interview. They flew me out, and paid for plane tickets and hotel. They were interviewing multiple people for this position that week, the interview date was locked and not the "at your convenience" type.

The interview was 2 part- a normal business interview and a second skills/knowledge assessment. Met with 6 people total. All were friendly and not too intimidating. I was the only one in the building wearing a suit and tie so maybe keep it more casual, sports jacket with a button down shirt. I felt like I looked like I was "trying too hard"

They are going to ask you about being comfortable relocating. Who has to be involved in that decision (wife, family, etc) What current job skills are relevant to this position. Name a time when this, this and this happened, what did you do... type of questions.

The skill assessment was 2 parts one electrical, one powertrain/mechanical. It was all verbal, you need to prove that you're knowledgeable and can handle yourself in any situation (that's the whole purpose of the job). Some questions were brand specific so if you don't have a background fixing honda's or acura's you're going to be at a loss.

Hiring decisions were made the following week. They were nice enough to call and let me know the outcome eventhough I didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Explain how to do a voltage drop test, why its necessary, and why it's favored over other methods of getting the same information.   Answer Question
    • Explain a time where you were unable to, or struggled with, diagnosing a problem on a vehicle   Answer Question
    • Explain and give examples of good & bad O2 sensor readings and behavior   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at American Honda Motor in March 2016.

Interview

I applied in November of 2015 for the business planning co-op and the corporate affairs co-op. I didn't hear anything until mid-december of 2015 when I received a pre-interview questionnaire. Filled it out, returned it to Honda. Honda received it and said I would hear back within 2 weeks. Didn't hear anything back. February 2016 comes around, and Honda is at my school's job fair. I go and talk to them in person, tell them I applied, have a great conversation with the recruiters. They take my resume. About a month goes by and at this point I figure my chances at Honda are done for (I have a great GPA and pretty good resume too - but as a Marketing major it is hard to see why I may have been overlooked for some roles in their operations based in Ohio). First or second day of March, I finally get a call and am asked to interview for a position I didn't even apply for -- a new co-op position they are implementing in their procurement division to try to implement some internal marketing to get all of Honda's north american plants on a cohesive page with all suppliers. (Sounds like a weird job description - but that's how it was described to me). I think, what the hell, decide to go for the interview knowing it would be great to work for Honda as my parents both have worked there before. I interviewed the same week I was called and asked to interview. It was a weird process: I get to the purchasing office and right away you notice the sterile - yet open - office environment that Honda uses. White uniforms... need I say more on the sterile topic? Everyone looks hard at work and I notice how many people have backpacks on meaning people must take work home sometimes - I like this because it shows people are serious about their work here. Anyways, they take me out of the office and down to the old tunnel that attached the old motorcycle plants to the main manufacturing plant into the old nurse's station into a crammed office. If that description sounds sketchy - be assured - it was a little sketchy feeling. I was interviewed by two guys who were really nice. BE WARNED THOUGH - they are not interested in your resume. I was asked one question from my resume and it was, "What is your best margarita recipe?" in regards to a bartending job I worked my freshman year of college. They pick your resume for a reason - so when you send a resume into Honda, be sure it has everything you want on it. That is your biggest selling point. In the interview they were more concerned with what kind of worker and organizational fit you would be. STAR method? Study it... go over questions, be concise, think of a variety of contexts to talk about your experiences. Don't expect eye contact either! They wrote down nearly everything I said. It felt isolated at times and maybe like they were disinterested but they are serious about finding the right candidates and I admired that. Don't be afraid - as they told me - to ask for the question to be repeated or to take a pause before some questions. Be able to back up all your answers too! They will catch you if you are BS-ing because they ask a lot of "Why did you that?" or "How did that happen?" or "What was the original _________". Go into the interview knowing what to expect to an extent - know it is not an interview about "getting to know you as a person" - its about getting to know how well you would fit and your chances of being successful in their workplace. LAST THOUGHT: If they go to your school's career fair you MUST talk to them. They had my resume that I brought to them at the career fair and didn't seem to know that I ever applied online or submitted a resume online. As I said, they hand-picked my resume from the ones they got from the career fair. ALSO: I received my conditional offer of employment (pending a physical, background check, etc.) exactly 1 week after my interview. They told me they like to make decision's within a week especially knowing college students balance multiple job offers at once.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you worked with someone of a different background with whom you had a disagreement?   1 Answer
    • Describe a time you had to follow a policy for your employer that you did not agree with?   1 Answer
    • What is the hardest school/work related problem you have had to answer in the last year and what made it so difficult?   1 Answer
    • Describe a time you had to balance many time commitments?   1 Answer
    • What kind of software are you familiar with and describe a project with which you worked with it?   1 Answer

Track Safety Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Honda Motor (Torrance, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Recruited got back to me a month later and set-up an interview. Interviewed in person. Was called back for a second interview at the track. I didn't hear anything for a month and then got an e-mail saying I did not get the job. The interview was pretty basic, but the position was really unique so it was hard to make my experience seem relevant to the position.

Interview Questions

• Are you OK working in desolate areas?   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at American Honda Motor (Rancho Santa Margarita, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed by all three sales managers on the same day. They will ask questions about your work history and experience in sales. You will need to acquire a Salesperson's License.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach a sales opportunity? What steps will you make from initial contact to a closed deal?   1 Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Honda Motor (Torrance, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

I was first called by an HR Specialist and had a relatively easy conversation about my background. I was then move forward to an in-person interview with the hiring manager.

The interview with the hiring manager took about 1 hour a week later. The questions asked during my interview where not difficult and felt as more of a review of my background. I have to point out that I was a former Honda associate for 8 years and had been referred by an associate for the position. So, I felt very comfortable with the interview because I was very familiar with the business.

Interview Questions

• The usual behavioral questions and business case questions were asked.   1 Answer

Field Service Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Honda Motor (Torrance, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Technical exam with basic questions from Techline Support. Second part of interview with management was okay, no curve balls. Everyone was kind and respectful and even got follow-up from one of the hiring managers after the interview, which is unusual unless you're offered the job. HR was very difficult to contact. She did not send expense form to submit until many weeks later after many attempts, and then three months later have still not received reimbursement. Wouldn't expect this from Honda.