American Income Life Entry Level Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 26, 2017

1.6

13 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Entry Level Manager Interview

Interview

4 to 5 step, DOE
Phone screening, followed by personal interview, then group interview which shares Business Plan, then you MAY be invited back. 4th interview reviews training, licensing , and compensation.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking to AVOID?
    Any management experience? Describe...
    What do you bring to the table?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for American Income Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Income Life (San Antonio, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

Well, i was told that I was being interviewed for a managerial position, wherein I would be overseeing 10 - 20 employees. However, when I arrived there were about 25 or 30 other people all "interviewing" for the same position. Then i was called back to an office, asked 2 or so simple questions about what matters to me in a job, and then lead back to a room where all of the other people interviewing for the same position were sitting in chairs, facing a screen, awaiting a presentation. I was given a questionnaire about management (what qualities make a good manager, what qualities do i have that would help me be a good manager, etc, Then we began a 40 minute presentation about the company, which does seem to be a legitimately good company by way of the services it provides (something almost no insurance company can say, as they are largely defined by greed and immorality). Unfortunately, during this presentation, we learned that we weren't really being interviewed for a managerial position (as i had guessed given the size and make-up crowd that was there). It was framed as though we 'have to start at the bottom, as insurance agents, to learn what we need to know in order to be managers,' and that whoever was hired would be made managers after several months of learning the ropes as entry level agents. This cant really be true, because of the 25 - 30 people, allegedly 4 to 7 would be hired, and all of that 4 - 7 cant all be managers, so it appears as though they mislead me to get me in the door. The presentation was initially about company history, and then about how much money you can make working for them if you stick with the company. Additionally, you have to pay to get a license to be an insurance agent, which they allege is something they can not pay for or reimburse you for by Texas law (which is, I'd say, highly probable, as Texas is a state managed by idiots on behalf of business interests).

AIL seems like a legitimately good company that does really good things for Unions and their members, but these hiring techniques don't paint a pretty picture for what life will be like working for them.

The combination of being mislead, and learning that it would be 2 months before we started officially working and making money were turn offs...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menomonee Falls, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Menomonee Falls, WI) in June 2016.

Interview

It was a group interview then a call back for a one-on-one interview later. The group setting was just basically like being in a classroom as a teacher just reads off a powerpoint slide. The one-on-one interview was really simple and generic as they already decided who will get offers based on resumes and who got call backs from the group interview. Topics in the one-on-one interview were compensation/ day-to-day as well as company growth opportunities.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newton, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Income Life (Newton, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

It was less than 10 minutes and pointless. Half of the candidates were accepted and asked back for second round. The managers seemed to not really care about us and only wanted those begging to work to stay. It seemed very gloomy and dark. Later I heard that it was all commissioned based and no real salary in place as you get your salary.

Interview Questions

• Why are you a good fit for us?   1 Answer

It was not what I expected and did not convince me of future growth.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Income Life (Houston, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

Fraud. They are not hire manager, not as same as the job post. They try to hire Sale Agency. Then Just group of people (Interviewers) sit there, and listen nothing. Just like you in school, ask your name and work background.

Because it was a trap and fraud.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Income Life (Santa Ana, CA).

Interview

I walked in this large waiting room, and there was over 10 people waiting for an interview before me. I had responded to an ad on CraigsList, and was scheduled for an interview right away.
    My interviewer was late for the interview and I waited for about 30 minutes. The "HR Director" called me finally in for an interview, it was more of a conversation than an interview. Very informal. Of course no salary was discussed, but to my assumptions it is commission based. I was extended an offer right away, and was told to wait for about an hour or so for a group orientation.
    At the moment I said yes and I went outside to wait.
    But then I realized, that is what they do. They take everyone that applies, and then it's whoever sticks...
    It felt like a total waste of time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lyndhurst, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Lyndhurst, NJ) in October 2015.

Interview

They asked all kinds of questions on why I would be a good fit for their company. Had a big presentation on a projector teaching us about what they do.

Interview Questions

• Why are you a good fit for our company?   1 Answer

It seemed a little sketchy.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Santa Ana, CA).

Interview

First, you are in a room with a bunch of applicants filling out a personality questionnaire. Then you go in for a 1 on 1 interview. I felt it was deceptive because you are told you are interviewing for a manager position but it's just a sales position selling life insurance.

Interview Questions

• How motivated are you on a scale of 1 to 10?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountlake Terrace, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Mountlake Terrace, WA) in September 2013.

Interview

I sent my resume by email. Within 10 minutes I had a phone call from HR. I was asked a few questions about past management experience. I was then given a choice of appointments for the next day that were 20 minutes apart with a man named Mr. Ng. (I have never had a 20 minute interview before. I did set up an interview for the next day. In the mean time I tried to do an internet search for the Toshner group and could find nothing. When I arrived at my interview the next day there was approximately 15 other people there for interviews. I was given a sheet to fill out that asked me some questions. One question was what 5 traits do I think a god manager should have. One was what I am looking for in a career. What am I looking for in a company. What do I not want in a company. I was then taken in for an interview with a man who was not Mr. Ng. When I said my interview was with Mr. Ng I was told he was interviewing other people. I was then asked to tell him about myself. Then I was asked about my management experience. This interview lasted all of 5 minutes. ( and started 10 minutes late). I was then told I had made it to the 3rd round of interviews and that it would start at 10:30. (it also started late). I was told the 3rd interview would be a presentation that would tell us about the job and the company. It would be led by Mr. Ng. I was told that it was actually an interview and that during the presentation Mr. Ng would be watching us to see who took notes, who paid attention and who asked questions. Was also told to be very personable during the presentation. I was told the 3rd interview/presentation would take 1 hour but could take longer. I told them I had to leave by 11:30. The entire presentation that I saw was about selling life insurance. When I left I was followed out by the person who interviewed me. I was told that prior to the presentation Mr Ng. said if i was chosen for the 4th round of interviews he would give I sign that I was chosen and that sign had been given so i was chosen for the next round. I don’t know what this was based on since I had not spoken during the presentation. I was then asked if I had a few minutes to talk. I was told the job was for a sales associate . I said that I was told I was interviewing for a entry-level management position. I was told that everyone starts as a sales associate. I said I thought this was misleading. I was told the position was commission only, that I would be an independent contractor with no benefits and would have to provide me own phone lap top and would not be reimbursed for gas

Interview Questions

• None. Only question that had to do with the position was if I had any management experience. Later found out the job was for a salea associate position   Answer Question

I was asked to come back the following day for the next round of interviews. After finding out the real name of the company - American Income Life not Toshner Group- and doing some research on the company I knew it was not a company I would want to work for. I felt I had been misled about the position I had applied for and flat out lied to about the company name. I let them know I would not be coming back for the next round of interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worthington, OH

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at American Income Life (Worthington, OH).

Interview

I received a call from an AIL employee who said they were interested in me based on my resume posted on Monster.com. I told him that I was interested in a management position. He gave little to no information about the job and stated that he was just setting up interview appointments. I arrived at my appointment and was handed a "candidate form" to fill out while I waited 15 minutes for the interviewer. Meanwhile at least a dozen other people walked in for interviews. All were given the standard candidate form to fill out and asked to wait.

The interview occurred with someone other than who I was scheduled with and held in a public space (the lobby), which I was told was more relaxing.

The interviewer briefly and vaguely described the company, using one sentence. He asked two questions. 1.) How would you describe character? 2.) On a scale of 1 - 10 how would you rate your competitiveness?

I asked him two questions. 1.) What they're looking for in a manager and 2.) If the position was salary or commission.

The answers were that everyone starts as a Benefits [something] (sales position not manager) and commission; that I would learn more about it at the next interview and he started to walk me back to the office.

I told him that I was not interested in either a sales or commission only position and that I would have appreciated full disclosure up front regarding the job so as not to have wasted my time.

Here's the deal: If you're looking for an insurance sales position and you want to work as a contractor on commission, you'll be able to score "the opportunity", no sweat.