American Income Life Manager In Training Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Income Life Manager In Training Interview Questions

1.7

15 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clackamas, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Clackamas, OR) in December 2015.

Interview

If you haven't been job-searching long enough to see how frequently this company posts essentially the same job listing, with various degrees of sales pitches and various degrees of professionalism, you won't necessarily know what you're getting into until you are in the interview and seeing some red flags.

I had a nice pre-interview conversation by phone with a HR manager after I had submitted my resume by email. Then, I arrived at the interview a couple days later only to discover that this HR manager, who had said she would be there to lead my interview, was out of the office, and the executive assistant did not have record of my interview having even been scheduled. Another person was there waiting for his interview, and I was brought in to the office along with him for a joint interview, with no acknowledgement as to why made to this other individual and no apology to me for their error.

The manager who lead the interview told both the other applicant and me some supposed reasons why he had selected us to come in. I almost called him on it; the office had no record of my interview, he had not seen my resume, and I still can't get over how he thought his glowing comments of me seemed genuine.

I was offered a position at the end of the interview, but the other application was as well. The other applicant was extremely introverted, and I sat somewhat in disbelief.

This is a sales position that eventually will lead to a sales position with maybe some management of lower-level employees. I think "management" means hiring/interviewing, like what I was going through.

I guess you are supposed to want this position badly, and I just wasn't buying what he was selling. I almost felt guilt-tripped for having major concerns about the job and about how people make a living without being a cut-throat salesman.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for American Income Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mansfield, MA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at American Income Life (Mansfield, MA).

Interview

I received a call out of the blue from this company when I didn't even apply. That should have been a red flag, but they lured me in with promises of a $50k starting salary and future growth into management. After a quick phone screen they asked for an interview in person. Conveniently, no one ever mentioned that this was a sales job (something I definitely did not want) with 100% commission. Commission isn't necessarily a bad thing, but lying to my face by saying I would have a salary is plain dishonest and unethical in my book.

The in-person interview was a bit strange, I felt like I was being sold a time share. There was a quick 5 minute interview individually, then they brought us into a conference room as a group of six people for a "group interview". The group interview was basically a 2 hour slideshow showing how awesome this company was, how much money we would make, and a bunch of other empty promises. There were a ton of red flags during this portion. Training takes a month, and not only is it unpaid, but you have to pay $200 out of pocket to take a licensing exam. The guy doing the presentation also started to name drop brands like Rolex and Bentley to prove his point about how rich we could be. Another red flag was that this operation is clearly a classic pyramid scheme, in the sense that once you get people working under you, you make a decent percentage of money off of them. I could see how this would encourage high rates of turnover and new hires to maximize the money that the managers make.

I was offered a second interview and declined. I felt cheated and lied to by this company and would advise everyone to stay far away.

Manager In Training Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Income Life.

Interview

Received a phone call from this company and had not applied. They left a message and asked if I could call back and set up an interview time. So I called back and they proceeded to go into a full blown phone interview. I was unprepared to say the least an my answers to her questions were not good. Regardless of that she asked me to come in for a face to face interview. I agreed, but I was skeptical about this company so I did some more digging to find out who they really were. Just another insurance company trying to get me to work for 100% commission. They danced around the fact that they were an insurance company, and the commission thing. I am glad I did find out who they really are so I will not be wasting my time going to the face to face interview. STAY AWAY!!!

Interview Questions

• Describe an instance when you had to use your leadership skills   Answer Question

Manager In Training Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at American Income Life.

Interview

Had a short phone interview and then was invited to the office for an in person interview. I walked in with three other people at the same time and we all had an interview with the same person. I was called back and asked a few questions and only lasted a few minutes. I was told that I would move onto a "competitive group interview." They tried to make it seem like the whole process was very competitive, but it was obvious that it wasn't when everyone that I walked in with was also in the group interview. The group interview mostly consisted of watching videos and randomly being called on to say what you thought about it. Everyone that worked there was really nice but no one had worked there for long and the whole thing seemed really fishy. Couldn't run away fast enough.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2015.

Interview

They called me and said they wanted to ask a few question on the phone. After the lady asked few questions, she invited me to the interview on the next day. The next day I arrived with a number of people to the company. They seemed real and gave me a sheet to work on. Then I was escorted to this office to do an interview. He asked me a few questions and was feeding me the answers, which surprised me.

Then the interviewer said I had to wait for a group interview. I expected a real group interview. I was surprised to see a man, who was the district manager, conducting a presentation about overrated stuff. I then realised that it was a door-to-door sales based on commission.

They were so fishy in everything starting with the job ad up to the job offer. They told me to come back the next day. I went home, read the reviews - which were so awful - and decided to go out of curiosity. I went the next day and I seemed to be alone. The receptionist said I was the only one chosen - which was wrong. They basically elected everyone. when I was assigned to talk to someone, I showered them with questions and they didn't know what to say.

I was surprised to see a couple of new people in the lobby doing the same thing we were doing the previous day. They basically do this everyday to get people to go out there to do the sales for them.

Interview Questions

• you don't have to worry about the questions. My advice: when you get a call with the acronym AIL, ruuuun run ruuuuuuuun .   Answer Question

Manager In Training Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Income Life.

Interview

Applied online and received a phone call the morning after to set up for an interview. I walked in ten minutes early and was met with a friendly face at the receptionist desk. It felt like a comfortable ambiance, but the office was a bit stuffy. There were about five others waiting (supposedly applying for the same position). I filled out a form and was asked for a resume (wise to bring more than one). I completed my form and waited for my name to be called. Within five minutes I was called in and met with someone roughly the same age as me. She asked me basic questions, but was pretty vague about the position. I was told that I was an ideal candidate and that if I could stick around to meet with the exec, but I had to rush somewhere. I was told I would get a call within two days for a follow-up, however, did not get anything back.

Interview Questions

• What is one of your biggest accomplishments that sets you apart from others?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Vancouver, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

Starts with a 'phone interview', then a brief face-to-face conversation, followed by a group session where they explain business model, then another two interviews. Whew! They try to promote a 'you made it!' idea, but it looked like everyone interviewed was allowed to stay for the presentation. They immediately invited me for the 4th (of the 5 step process) interview after the presentation. The whole thing sounded way too good to be true.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

I replied to a Craigslist post and sent in my resume and a very brief cover letter (because their post was so vague it didn't give me a whole lot to go on). They called me back within two hours and after a 3-minute conversation in which I said the magic words "looking for a long-term career," they scheduled me for an interview the next day. They still hadn't told me what the company was, but I did some Googling that I'm pretty proud of, figured out who they were and read up on them so that I'd be prepared.

At that interview, I waited with several other people for about half an hour, talked to a guy alone for about 5 minutes, then they sent me into a group interview. They showed us a few videos about the company, a whole lot of spin about how this is the best insurance company ever and they're all about helping people (which may or may not be true, according to varying reviews I've seen), asked a few questions in the group setting (which they had already set up to be "competitive"), and explained a lot of the perks/benefits/pay structure. Then they pulled us back out one at a time for another <5-minute one-on-one conversation; I again said some magic words (some stuff about being competitive) and they scheduled me for a "fourth-round interview" (apparently the phone call was 1, the first 5-min conversation was 2, and the group was 3, and they expect 5 total) for the following day.

They really emphasized the money you can make there if you're competitive enough, and especially the passive income on the management track, but it's important to know that ALL of their management positions start out with being an on-the-road, door to door insurance sales person. From what I could tell it doesn't involve cold-calling, but still - I don't have a car, don't want to spend my life on the road, and even though I'm pretty sure that I could play their game really well I don't particularly want to sell my soul in order to do it.

I'd call the interview process long but easy. Many rounds, but at each one you pretty much just have to show that you have a pulse and that you're willing to parrot back their keywords. I didn't go back for the fourth-round interview because I'd decided it's not the job for me and didn't want to waste any more of my time or theirs.

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Income Life (Minneapolis, MN) in August 2014.

Interview

There is a multi-step interview process. But I was told this over the phone and during my first interview.

My over the phone interview was positive which was the reason I came in. Following that, I met with a member of the senior staff who took about 1/2 hour for our interview. Which to me seemed normal. I was invited to the next step of the interview process where I did learn a great deal about the company, its values and the services it provides. I was invited back to meet with the partner of the firm and was offered and accepted the position. I can see by reading through the posts below that some people didn't have the same positive experience as I had. With that said, I thought I would share my experience as it was different and feel as though the company and people at the company are bright, positive and successful. For me, it was a good fit. .

Interview Questions

• Knowing that we all have areas of improvement, what would mine be at this time.   Answer Question

Manager In Training Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at American Income Life.

Interview

I received a call after posting my resume on various boards. I asked what the position was for and they said it was a management in training position. I looked into the company and was skeptical but went anyways.

I arrived for the interview and was given a questionnaire for personality traits and to gauge interest in the position. I walked in the room with several other candidates and the gentleman told me it was for a management position. The first half of the process was a presentation. The presentation was of how much money you could make by commission and by getting people under you-Pyramid Scheme. They loosely covered the product but then claimed you would be making 1k-5k a week starting out minimum. I doubt this is true because if it were they wouldn't have to recruit so aggressively. There was a five minute follow up interview with a manager followed by time for my own questions. This position turned out to be a sales position where you were responsible for your own start up costs and was paid entirely on comission with an unpaid training/shadowing period.

I recieved a call back in the afternoon for a follow up interview. This was on a Tuesday afternoon and they wanted mid-morning within the next two days. I declined those days because I am a Catering Operator and had contractual obligations for an event. I gave a list of other times that were close The Lady on the phone got very rude and said she would expect me to be more eager.. I declined follow up interview I would expect a company that truly values it's candidates to take their current obligations to customers seriously. Glad I got this sign early and dodged that bullet.

Smelled Fishy