American Income Life Sales Agent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Income Life Sales Agent Interview Questions

Updated May 19, 2017

1.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Little Rock, AR) in January 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by someone who said the MGA found my resume on Monster. I was asked a few questions and then set for an interview. I was given vague information when I asked which company the agency represented and only told the agency name.
I arrived early as asked, and was surprised to see the number of people in the lobby. (about 10 additional) We were asked to go into a conference room where we were shown a presentation of the company and given information on the compensation structure. We were told to complete a questionairre(personality test) and then were each called into a 1 on 1 interview.
I expected the 1 on 1 to be more professional and detail oriented, giving information about my past work experience and able to ask questions about the job, however the man that interviewed me only asked "if I would have issues obtaining a license" (I have a non resident lic as I just reloc to the state) and "what questions do you have about the presentatin you just heard?"
I asked how long he had been with the company and he said 2 years(funny out of the 6 people I met everyone had 2 or less years tenure, except the MGA who did the presentation, he said he had 12. Also the person that called me back to answer my questions said he also had 12 years with AIL
After I asked him if he had even looked at my resume, and gave it to him, he turned to page 2 and mentioned one company I worked for then, asked if I had questions about the presentation.
I asked questions I had and he could not answer them stating he would have someone contact me. Affter about 15 min I ended the interview.
I was contacted shortly by the man that said he referred my resume, and he answered my questions, and told me I wouldnt need to go through the next process just to let him know when I could start and gave me the dates.

Interview Questions

• Would I have a problem obtaining the licenses? (I have been lic 19 yrs and am licensed in 49 states as is listed on my resume)   1 Answer

As an insurance professional, this company did not represnt itself as a legitimate company in terms of agents, and professionalism. All agents are going to be 1099 but they never tell you that until you are in the 1 on 1. Also, they just get as many people in to interview as possible and if you have the funds or can obtain them to get the license, they pass you along to the next phase and hire you. I can only assume from my experience that they have a high attrition rate as over half the people I met were under 2 years tenure. And 12 year tenure for the other 2 people, seems odd... only 2 or 12 year tenured people. That sounds staged.

Other Interview Reviews for American Income Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Henrico, VA

Interview

Just as the other reviews say, it's a pyramid scheme and a scam. do not waste your time on them at all. They try to convince you that they choose you in particular to take their management part, become a sales agent, but it's all a lie.

Interview process is extremely long and unnecessary, this isn't a real job, they sit you down for a sales presentation and try to convince you to join and pay your own fees to become a licensed insurance salesperson

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Londonderry, NH

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Londonderry, NH) in August 2010.

Interview

I received a call from AIL that they found my resume online and wanted to interview me for a sales position. They set up the interview for the next day at their Londonderry office. I arrived for a 9:15 interview at 9:06, to a packed waiting area, with people filling out applications. I was asked to fill out an application, and then a manager would see me. I was called into a small conference room, where the regional director briefly looked at the application and my resume, and asked very few questions. The receptionist then lead me to a larger conference room with about 12 other people, where were given a presentation about the company and asked to fill out a personality test.

The product seemed reasonable enough, but the requirements were absurd. We would be a 1099 contractor, responsible for the use of our own cell phone, laptop, and vehicle without any reimbursement. Travel would be all over the state of NH with hours consisting of nights and weekends. We were required to get our insurance license through the state of NH, which totaled $400, without reimbursement. Later we were told they would want us to receive our license in Maine and Massachusetts, which would be an additional $290 every two years. Salary appeared to be 100% commission based, but he couldn't explain the details because it was "very complicated."

There were no direct benefits because of the 1099, but they would provide information on providers we could use.

The whole process was supposed to take 15 minutes, and it turned into 2 hours of wasted time.

Interview Questions

• What do you think the direct mail response rate is on average?   Answer Question

Sales Agent Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Income Life in May 2010.

Interview

I came in for the interview and found out once there that it was a group interview with about 6-7 canidates. In round one they described the company and position a bit and told us they would bring back top 2-4 canidates for round two, but they didnt really ask any question to of us to see who would be in the top. round two consisted of the same guy going into more detail about the product and how easy it was to sell and how there was no cold calling which is only partially true. they had me come back the next day to have a one on one. there the guy told me i had the job and would have to pay 200 buck for a book and a class and 80 bucks for tests to get my license.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiations...pure comission

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (San Jose, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

Was invited to an interview at their local firms. Came early and sat down on a chair. Was interviewed by one of their agent managers. Was not even asked any technical questions, just about myself and what are my work ethics. Told me that the job had a salary and a commissioned based bonus. Was told that I should receive a phone call later today regarding a second interview in this three interview process. Was called that day at around 7pm and was invited for another interview. Second day, came there and was again "interviewed" by another agent manager that told be that this was a 100 percent commission based. I felt then that this was one of those pyramid scams. Interviewer started throwing out how much money I can make and started doing all this math on paper. Said that they would "hire" and instructed me to come tomorrow again and pay a 80 dollar training fee. Igot out as soon as I could. I felt that everyone that got an interview was offered a job. Pyramid Scam 100%. I don't appreciate them wasting my time.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?   1 Answer
    • What are your availabilities look like?   1 Answer

Pyramid scam. Workers and managers are inconsistent in job descriptions and benefits. Complete waste of time and gas.

Sales Agent Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at American Income Life in January 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by American Income Life (AIL) by email about a sales/sales management position. The first meeting was with about 10 other candidates who were all there for the same position. We all had a quick 1:1 interview with a senior salesman. Asked about why you want to work here, why would this job fit you, and what you are looking for, etc. This took a minute or two. Then we are sent to a conference room for a presentation about the company. History, culture, salary/commissions, growth potential, the job position and what the responsibilities are, expectations, etc. Then there was the final 1:1 interview with the state director of AIL (took a little over 30 minutes). Essentially a Q&A session. He explains any unanswered questions you have and tries to determine if this is what you really want to do. He doesn't really ask many questions. Just a quick background and the why you want this job, why are you a good fit here...the same old questions. I got a call a few days later with an offer. Interesting point for ya, they say they provide you with leads and that you never need to make cold calls or start your sales career with family/friends as clients. It sounds a bit too good to be true.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (San Diego, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

Basically everything I expected from reading everyone else's experiences. I was told that I was interviewing for a manager position, and my group was told that there was a base pay. I found out during the next interview (which was mainly me asking questions), that the salary would be 100% commission. After learning that the position wasn't what I expected, I felt mislead. The entire process seemed kinda sketchy as well. After I told my second interviewer that I was no longer interested and thanked him for the opportunity just to be polite, he replied rudely and asked, "So..... Why are you here then?"

I was told I'd have to work crazy hours. If you have sales experience and don't mind paying the ~$300 fee to become licensed to sell insurance, go for it? This job just wasn't for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Columbia, MD) in June 2012.

Interview

I didn't seek the offer out, rather I got a phone call inviting me to a one on one interview the next day with one of their managers. The told me "to dress professionally"--always a red flag, as this should go without saying.(The manager whose name was discussed in the phone call was not the manager who sat down with me, but rather the man who called me.) I was one of many in the waiting room of the office and, when called, was taken into another room to be interviewed. I was asked about my interests and how competitive I would rank myself as being and then told briefly about the company. After five minutes of this I was told that they would be "moving forward with me" and asked me to stay for a presentation on the company.

In the presentation they (3 managers) made the company sound almost too good to be true. Unlimited potential pay, niche marketing plan, and a chance to truly help people. They stressed the hard work it would take and made the job (basically a sales position, in spite of that fact that we were all told we were being hired as "managers") like both a pleasure and a challenge--which it probably is to those suited for it. They stressed many times that not everyone was suited for it and while there was the potential for huge profits, that came with time and skill. While I felt it was a sales pitch, I didn't feel like they ever were intentionally deceptive. They tried to tell you the facts, but make it sound as enticing as possible. As the presentation concluded, we all filled out a personality profile (part written response and part multiple choice), were asked to indicate what times we would be available to come in for an interview and why we thought we would be right for the job.

I don't know how many of those that pass the initial interviews are called in for a final interview, I had no way to judge it, but I certainly was. I got a call the day before in the late afternoon to confirm the time of the interview. During this final interview the manager (the same one who had called me initially and conducted my first interview) went over the pay in great detail, the benefits (life and dental), and the training process. Again, I sensed no deception, just honest responses to honest questions. If you don't give it some thought this would probably be yet another sales pitch, but with research and intelligent questions one could really understand to offer in front of you. Every question asked was met by a truthful reply. I really respected my interviewer for that. I was offered the position and told to make my decision on the spot--to commit to them as they were willing to commit to me or not.

Interview Questions

• How well would you get along with their sales demographic (nurses, police officers, fire-fighters, teachers, and other union members)?   1 Answer
    • What do you want to improve about yourself?   Answer Question
    • How competitive are you? Why do you say that?   1 Answer

I declined simply because the hours were not in line with what I need. For the first 90 days they need you to be able to devote twelve hours a day for six days a week to them (9am to 9pm) and even go out of town a few times. While I'm not scared of hard work, my classes are in the evenings and their prime sales times are from 2pm to 9pm. The have "flexible" hours, yes, but those don't come until much later in your career and at the risk of giving up your most productive hours of your work day. It's a great opportunity and they appear fair and upfront, but it comes with a lot of initial sacrifice. It really was just not something that would work for me nor their company. While they were very willing to try do what they could to help me, I really felt it was not in either of our best interests. They would benefit from having an employee fully able to devote that time and energy to them and I am willing to accept a smaller pay-check from some other company for more time with my loved ones and my studies.

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Columbia, MD) in June 2012.

Interview

Was called by one of the managers and then had a general interview just asking basic info about myself in the office. The next interview was the same day. The company discussed the ins and outs of the company in a group interview and gave a list of questions that each potential employee had to stand up and answer. The 3rd interview was more personal and consisted of offer and acceptance and you had a chance to ask any questions.

Interview Questions

• Give three reasons why you would be a good fit for the company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Income Life (Saint Louis, MO) in February 2013.

Interview

Wasn't so much of an interview as a presentation to a group of 20 or so prospective employees. It felt like a timeshare presentation. The setting made me think that they'll take absolutely anyone willing to do the job. The "interviewer" didn't ever say that all the positions they have are 100% commission based; I had to ask.

Interview Questions

• Didn't ask any questions at all. It was a presentation and breakdown of the company, sales pitch, and commission structure.   Answer Question