American Income Life Sales Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 13, 2017

1.3

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at American Income Life.

Interview

They try very hard to make you feel like this is a normal 9-5 desk job, and not an awkward door to door sales shenanigan. Very long, strange power point presentation, with around 20 other candidates at the same time. At the very end they told us that they need your credit card info to work there because if a client cancels, they take the money back from you- no thanks.

Interview Questions

• In order to do this job you need to drive to clients houses at various times, are you willing to do that?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for American Income Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tacoma, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Income Life (Tacoma, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview itself was a positive experience. The amount of deception conveyed by the hiring manager about the actual job duties was astounding. The position was described as requiring no cold calls with renewals provided for you. This was not the case. There was also no base salary.

Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at American Income Life in February 2015.

Interview

They were recruiting very heavily on Craigslist, I answered two separate ads that described different job titles (no company name listed on either) and both ended at the same place. Anyways, 5 stage interview process with a "recruiting" video which gives a vague idea of the actual starting position but is really just a sales pitch.

Interview Questions

Didn't want to sell insurance

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woburn, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Woburn, MA) in June 2014.

Interview

Received a phone call from a director at AIL and was invited for an interview the next morning at their Woburn location. The person indicated that they had found my resume interesting and wanted to see if I could be a "good fit". At their offices the next day, I found that they had lined up nearly 50 interviews as well, all for sales positions. The interview itself was short and superficial. The discussion did not touch on my previous experiences and/or background. The interviewer only wanted to gauge whether or not I could work with "blue collar" clients. The interviewer suggested that I meet his own director in order to advance my candidacy further. I declined to do so and thanked his for his time.

Interview Questions

• Please tell us about your ability to work with blue collar clients.   Answer Question

I think the AIL lacks gravitas and prestige.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Altamonte Springs, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Income Life (Altamonte Springs, FL) in February 2014.

Interview

Lied about position I'd be interviewing for, person I would be interviewing with, and that the position would be salaried however was actually 1099

Interview Questions

No interest in working for a company that begins a relationship by lying

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Income Life (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

I was interviewed for about 10 minutes to make sure I owned a car and laptop. Then I was transferred to a room full of 30 or so individuals. We all watched a video about AIL regarding its perks and too-good-to-be true salaries and scenarios.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't a difficult or unexpected question. Instead, I did not expect that applying to a "Sales Manager" position would end up being a typical sales job where an employee visits homes, gives laptop presentations, and tries to make a sale.   Answer Question

I was not interested in a sales job. I was looking for a management position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Rancho Cucamonga, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

Went through a group interview, was a pretty big waste of time. They showed a power point presentation and kept emphasizing that they weren't the same as World Financial Group. The "managers" there were not professional looking at all. Half the group left during the slideshow

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Redmond, WA) in November 2009.

Interview

Based on two interviews that I had with American Income Life/ALTIG (Redmond, WA office) during the 2009 Thanksgiving week, I have concluded that the Company is untrustworthy.
    During my first interview, I was shown a presentation of the job description in which the manager emphasized on earnings of $100K your first year.

During my second interview, when asked about how much first year sales people average in income, the HR & sales manager told me around $50K - $70K. Furthermore, only about 5% of the first year sales people will make around $50K - $70K because there is a 95% turnover rate. That means, 95% of its’ first year sales people quit or are fired during the first year! First year sales manager average $60K their first year.
    For most of my questions, I received a very general answer in which the wordiness of their response and their body posture told me they knew the answers, but didn't want to tell me the truth.

The most inconsiderate part in which this Company handled itself was in regards to my start date. I had given them a specific timeline of when I would like to start. Instead, they proceeded to verbally tell me that I should start earlier and before I knew it, had given me a new start time and my schedule as to what I should do between now and then. My start date request seemed to have been moved up before my eyes and my consideration for it was not really considered at all. It was all about them. They did not once asked if I approved of the new start date. Instead, they offered me the job with the new start date.

Interview Questions

As a result of them being inconsiderate of my start date goal, presenting misleading information during their job description presentation, and in providing abstract answers to my very clear questions, I denied the offer as I felt that I could not trust the Company and the facts that it presents to me at face value.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at American Income Life (Winnipeg, MB (Canada)) in July 2017.

Interview

I was called asked if I was looking for PT or FT I said full time they said great we have 2 positions available. Next they asked if I had a valid license. the whole screening call was a bit bizarre.
    Once I got in there they asked a bit about my history and then my goals. then it came when I asked the questions as to if this was a commission based position he wouldn't answer right
    away and started rattling off the benefits to commission and asking why I had always been on salary . Then said what's wrong with commission are you"scared" I had a landscaper star working here 8mths ago and how he's making 75K. In my mind this interview was over and I abruptly told him I did not think this was a good fit. This guy was a joke and had no business interviewing anyone.

Very unprofessional process to get you in the door and not much better once your there.

Interview Questions

• Why have you only worked for salary positions versus commission   1 Answer

Sales Manager? Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakville, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Income Life (Oakville, ON (Canada)) in January 2016.

Interview

I did not apply for this position, I was contacted by a "hiring manager" based on my resume on Monster.com. Very vague job description was provided and when I asked for more details, I was provided with the same information, copy and pasted. From the get go, I was completely skeptical of the company as a whole, but out of curiosity I went for an interview.
    The office was empty, with a few rooms off to the sides. I sat in a hallway with about 10 other people waiting to be interviewed. I was asked to "come prepared" with a copy of my resume. I was asked for my resume when I checked in and later realized, that it was actually a copy for the hiring manager to review in the interview. When I was called into the office, I was complimented on my outfit, that it was his favorite colour. Then, the hiring manager made a comment that they had only been in the office for 3 weeks and that was the reason why the office looked so empty and undecorated. Generic questions were asked. Nothing that would give them a sense of what sort of worker or employee you'd be. More or less wanted to make sure you could manage a conversation which would mean that you'd be qualified to work for this company.
    After a very general discussion about staying for a meeting with the owner, I was placed in a meeting room which eventually filled up with the candidates that I saw earlier waiting for my interview. We were all given a personality test, which is common for employers to give. Generic questions were asked on the 6 paged personality test. However, on one of the pages there were two questions that were absolutely insane. The two questions were something along the lines of this :1. I value sleep. Actually, if I do not get enough sleep I turn into a grumpy monster. 2. I take comfort in knowing that my paycheque is deposited bi-weekly into my bank account. It is as comforting as a steaming got cup of laxative tea. I wish I was kidding.
    After this, I had to sit through a ONE HOUR SEMINAR with the "owner" Byron Paz, who boasted about his success with the company. How he started out as a refugee, and could not go to university to be an engineer because he could not afford to pay as an international student. So, after being a labourer and hating it, he turned his life around with AIL. I am not sure with the tactic was, but he mentioned at least 30 times that he had been with the company since 2002 and that he has been there for over 10 years. He also mentioned that he had over 40 employees working there, but there was 5 at most. He also had some of his employees sit in on the meeting so that he could " reference " them when talking about the levels of management/pay scale. Byron continuously made horrible jokes, nothing inappropriate, just bad timing. In another setting, it would have been appreciated. But not after filling out a joke of a personality test and sitting through a presentation that would be more appropriate on a first day of training. He was gauging to see if people were laughing and eating up what he was saying.
    At the end of the seminar, we were handed forms with pricing to pay for our insurance license.
    Followed by an analogy comparing a hand shake agreement on becoming a part of the team ( upon a follow up interview ) to a marriage proposal.
    If I man provides a woman with a ring, and she says " can I have the weekend to think about it, I have two more dates scheduled" do you think that man should still honour his proposal? If we bring you in for a follow up interview, and "shake your hand" and say welcome to the team, and you say " thank you for the offer, can I have some time to think about it" we now know that you are not the right fit for this company.
    Byron Paz actually compared going on interviews to going on dates. And compared a wedding proposal to his hand shake agreement.
    We were then given a exit questionnaire, to which I did not fill out and left as soon as the seminar was complete. If it wasn't so obvious to leave sooner, I would have.
    This company has so many red flags, I don't even know where to begin.
    They state to provide supplemental benefits and insurance to unions only. There has to be grey area and loop holes. I can't imagine what it took to become government regulated. There are VERY few locations in Canada, and I can see why, there is no possible way I would trust this company with my benefits and life insurance never mind want to work for this company.