American Institutes for Research Research Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Institutes for Research Research Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Jun 28, 2017

2.7

15 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Featured Interview

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research in April 2016.

Interview

The recurter called and told me the description of the job. Made an appointment for a phone interview. On the phone interview day nothing hard was asked... The interviewer mainly described the job and asked if that is something I would be interested in

Interview Questions

• They just want to know if what they are offering you is something that you would interested in doing   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for American Institutes for Research

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research in February 2016.

Interview

Submitted an application online, didn't hear back right away. Several weeks later I get a call from someone in HR looking to do a phone interview on the spot. They called at 1pm while I was at work and I didn't pick up the phone. Returned their call and left a message with some times that would work for me and directed them to email me if they'd like an alternate time. No response. 2 days later the same woman calls again at 10am (not one of my suggested times). I call back and get a voicemail - leave a nearly identical message to the 1st. This goes on for a week or so, back and forth. I stopped trying to call back - if they can't be bothered to schedule something in advance or communicate with applicants in a reasonable way I can only imagine how awful it must be to actually work there.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with HR: easy and quick. After 1 week and a half, the HR contact called me to schedule an in -person interview in their DC office. The in-person interview lasted around 3 hours: interviewed with HR, a Research Assistant, 2 managers, and back to HR. The interview went smoothly, and I had positive experience there. The HR gave me a feeling that I had a high chance to get accepted, and promised to call me whether I got the position or not. He told me that I should hear back from him in around 1 week and a half. After 4 weeks, still nothing happened. Throughout that time, I contacted the HR twice to check my status, and received responses that the Hiring Manager was still deciding. I ended up hearing nothing from them. The whole process was long and frustrating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online in June of 2015, and was contacted to do a phone interview several weeks later. After the phone interview, I was scheduled for an in person interview with 4 people from the company that would take around 3 hours. It was rescheduled twice, but I finally had the in person interview in late August of 2015. I thought it went very well. I was promised repeatedly by the person in charge of recruiting that I would hear back from them whether or not I was accepted. He said I should be getting a call for him to tell me whether I was accepted or rejected in about a week. Two weeks went by, and I hadn't heard anything, so I left a voicemail to check on the status of my application. He said no decision had been made, but he promised to call me back with a decision even if that decision was no. He said it would be another week. Two more weeks go by, and I still haven't heard anything, so I left another voicemail and he gives me the same spiel and promises he won't leave me hanging. I never heard from them again. I thought it was incredibly rude and disrepectful of my time to promise me I would get a rejection call from them and then leave me hanging indefinitely. If they had been upfront about it at the outset and said "due to the high volume of applicants, we only plan on notifying people who have been accepted" I would have understood, but they specifically said dozens of times that they would notify people even if they had been rejected, and that turned out to be a blatant lie.

Interview Questions

• Describe to us the research process of a study that you've conducted.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Boston, MA) in July 2015.

Interview

I got a surprise call from HR. I didn't even know which company was calling at the time and didn't know which position he was talking about since I'd applied to this position weeks and weeks ago. He seemed pretty friendly and willing to explain the position to me again. We talked about my past work experiences in education and I got an offer for an in-person interview on the spot.

The in person interview was a 2 hour long process, where I met with 5 different people, including a research assistant, 3 research associates, and one senior researcher. Everyone seemed pretty nice though they all had different styles. They focused a lot on organization and open communication skills and asked a lot of behavioral questions. I don't recall any technical questions other than a general question about whether or not I had any experience analyzing data.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage your time when you're working on different projects at the same time?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

It was a phone interview which took about 15 mins. My supervisor and program director briefly described the job requirements and asked my interest of work. Since it is a summer intern, the program director said it was OK if I was not familiar with the software they were using and suggested me to learn it during the internship.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research.

Interview

The whole process lasted about three months from when I first submitted my resume in early November to when I finished my last interview in February.

Overall, the process went by fairly quickly, and the hiring manager was very courteous throughout our communication. I had a pleasant experience overall. Once you're accepted to do the final interview, expect for it to last about 2.5-3 hours long. If you're traveling far, they take care of the expenses and travel accommodations including: airfare, hotel, and ground transportation.

Interview Questions

• 1) Tell me about yourself?
      2) What is your experience with program/project management?
      3) What is your communication style?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC).

Interview

This process took a long time for me. I applied at the end of a month (the posting had only been up for about two weeks). I checked every day to see if my application status had changed and then about three weeks later I noticed my application was under review and that they had taken down the job posting. Another week passed and then I received the screening call from HR other reviewers have mentioned (keep in mind this is a month after I applied). The call went very well and I was told that my information would be passed on to the hiring manager.

Two weeks after that I was contacted again and asked to schedule a phone interview with two staff members. The questions were all standard and a eight days later I was asked to come to DC for an interview. The interview was intense; I met individually with six people, some of my interviews were done over the phone. At the end I was told that they planned on moving quickly and would hear from them in a few days. Well, two weeks later I was offered the position with an above market average salary.

It was a long process and it was a little unnerving at times, but it was a pleasant overall experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, but that was because they offered me $5,000 more than I had anticipated.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in May 2014.

Interview

I interviewed with six different people in a back to back format. The whole process took around 5 hours or so and was fairly draining. Unfortunately, for an entry level staff they did not pay for hotel or travel, so it was a pricy interview. I had a follow up phone interview which was actually more difficult than the in person interview. My one complaint is how long it took to find out about the decision.

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

I had two 30 minute phone interviews with AIR staff members and then about a 2.5 hour in person interview (I had 30 minute interviews with four members of my program and then a 30 minute interview with HR). Throughout my hiring process a staff member from HR kept in close contact with me and updated me on where they were with their hiring process.

My interview questions were very straight forward. I was asked to walk through my resume, discuss why I was interested in this area of research, discuss my undergraduate coursework, talk about my research skills, long term professional goals, etc. I don't remember being asked a lot of behavioral questions.

Negotiation

I was offered $35,000 and I was unable to negotiate. As far as I could tell during my time there (by talking to other staff, looking at people's hourly wages on the proposal budgets) AIR does not do a lot of negotiating at the Research Assistant level.

I do know junior level coworkers who were able to successfully negotiate a small signing bonus ($1000 or under) or extra vacation days. If you are unable to negotiate salary I would definitely ask about a signing bonus or extra PTO.