American Institutes for Research Research Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Institutes for Research Research Associate Interview Questions

Updated Apr 26, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and a few days later received the HR's email scheduling an initial telephone screening. It was quite standard and lasted 10-15 minutes collecting basic information, at the end of the call the HR asked me to submit a set of my independent writing samples in order to be considered for the second round of interview. I emailed her three writing samples of mine and waited for about 2 weeks before they further contacted me to schedule the second phone interview with the hiring manager. The second interview lasted for about 30 minutes asking for experience in relevant skills required by the position. It was a pleasant conversation and the hiring manager was friendly and courteous. 3 days later I was informed to confirm with a date for an onsite interview. Flight and accommodation were both taken care of by AIR, which was good. The onsite interview was 3-hour long talking with 6 interviewers with a 2-interview panel in each hour, starting from those who are in the position I applied for to senior fellows. 3 of them were in the DC office, so it was part remote. All of them were friendly and courteous and asked questions basically related to my research experience and particular skills with very few behavioral questions as I remember. The last hour with two senior fellows was a lot more technical and difficult than with the previous two panels. I gave half-baked answers to two questions in this round. Overall it was a positive experience meeting nice people, and the entire process was very professional. Two weeks later I was informed that they just chose someone else.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for American Institutes for Research

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

very positive interview process overall. The lady who contacted me was friendly and explained the organization completely. They seem like a solid company really focused on the benefit of supporting schools and educators.

Interview Questions

• Given all of the sources of information circulating on the internet, how do you consider which sources to site and which to leave out?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research in March 2015.

Interview

The first round was a short phone interview with HR, followed by a short phone interview with a Senior Researcher from the team. This was within a short time frame, and followed by an in-person 2.5 hour interview: meeting local HR, a three person panel interview with the team, a one hour analytical task and a short debrief with HR. I was told that I would be contacted within a week but I heard nothing. I followed up by email to HR twice after two and four weeks and received no response. I would have appreciated even a template rejection email given how long the in-person interview was and really soured the interview experience which would otherwise have been positive.

Interview Questions

• All situational questions at the panel interview: give us an example of a time when you had to work with a dysfunctional team, when did you have difficulty communicating with a client, what is an example of a complex project you managed   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research.

Interview

Phone interview, self introduction, past research experience, research projects that I have been involved in, what role I played, one or two behavior questions, ask if I have any other related experience that might contribute to the position, if I have any questions for the company. Briefly introduced about the position, the team, location, but never really heard back from the recruiter.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

I met a PhD level researcher from AIR at APHA (American Public Health Association's annual conference) in November. We had a brief informational interview. Afterwards, she introduced me to one of their internal recruiters, and they both encouraged me to apply for the open position in the Health Policy department at their DC headquarters. I submitted an application, and they invited me for an onsite interview. Because of the holidays, that process was a little lengthy, and I didn't go to DC for the interview until the end of January. They paid for my flight and hotel. I spoke to 6 people in 2.5 hours, beginning and ending with HR reps. They mostly asked me to describe my experience with quantitative and qualitative research methods as well as various data management and analysis software packages. There weren't any particularly intense technical questions. After that, it was 3-4 weeks before they contacted me with a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience working with qualitative data.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

First got a call from HR for a screening interview. Then had an in-person interview that lasted a few hours with several members of the team the position was with. The in-person interview was at AIR's offices downtown. The meeting had a polished and professional feel; it's clear that they do a lot of interviews and their HR team seems to be organized, though a little slow (but so are most HR departments).

Interview Questions

• The questions were straightforward and about experience in the different skills required for the position.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research.

Interview

I found the interview process to be straight forward and thoughtful. I received a call from Human Resources to review my interests and then had two phone interviews with various members of the leadership. The phone interviews were followed by an in-person interview that was quite congenial. It seemed like a great place to work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Interview

applied online
    Contact by HR 4 weeks later.
    HR contact was very professional.
    Flew in 2 weeks later, hotel and flight paid.
    Met with a handful of people: direct boss, colleague, phone interview.

Since it is a research institute, I was expecting very bright question and meeting ivy-league level people. Wrong math notation. Unaware of new methods. I asked to see the project, it's something I could do in a day with coffee. Data analysis is equivalent to 3rd year college level.

They sensed I am not too excited, asking for high pay. No offer next day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in April 2013.

Interview

Initially, two interviews were conducted at the Society for Industrial Organizational Psychology Conference, followed by a phone interview and a series of interviews at the headquarters in Washington DC. In DC, I met with a series of workers at different levels of the organization who each had their own specialization within the organization. It was a very thorough and professional experience.

Interview Questions

• Please describe the three types of validity and how they are different.   1 Answer

For personal reasons - I wanted to stay in Los Angeles for my girlfriend's career and had another opportunity already lined up.

AIR seems like a great organization with smart and friendly workers. I wish they had an office on the west coast!

Research Associate Interview

Interview

Three rounds of interview, including two phone interviews and an on-site interview. Be sure to read their publications, especially those written by your potential interviewers. I feel this is the most effective way to impress them. Be prepared for both behavioral questions and technical questions.

Interview Questions

• What's your plan in five years?
      Difference between quasi-experimental and experimental design?
      Answer Question