American Institutes for Research Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

American Institutes for Research Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Feb 9, 2017

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

Phone screening with the recruiter followed by phone interview with two senior software engineering managers. They mainly asked theoretical technical questions and had specific answer in mind. Any alternative valid options were not taken seriously. It was obvious that the interviewers were not able to evaluate analytical problem solving creative thinks skills.

Interview Questions

• What is the minimum and maximum number of entries in a JOIN operation?   Answer Question
    • What is a good indexing method for word-search in documents to populate a list of documents as you type?   Answer Question
    • What is the time complexity of a binary search algorithm?   Answer Question

Item Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in June 2016.

Interview

Three interviews, one face to face, two by phone. They had an editing task where they had random writing samples which were to be edited. The expectation was that the item writer knows obscure science facts by rote.

Linux Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

I have done many phone interviews, but nothing has been as odd as my experiences with AIR. First call was a quick series of technical questions that were almost unrelated to the job offered. The questions were programming oriented questions for a Linux systems administrator job. I thought that was the end of it and was sent a email stating I was not selected. Shortly after I was emailed again asking for a second phone interview. They canceled that one at the last minute. It was rescheduled and we started talking about my past experience. Mid way though me talking they said it was 'not a match' as they were looking for 10-15 years of experience in the Linux systems administration field and I had about seven.

I hear that AIR is a great place to work but they have a pretty unusual set of gatekeepers there.

Project Manager, Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview with the recruiter was in detail and a good experience. The first round of interviews were rescheduled with reassignment of interviewees. Then came the interview with the first technical person. It was a positive interaction with the person although the questions were not related to the position. The interview with the second technical person, although I understood the questions, the questions were not related to the position. I felt that the technical interviewers are accomplished people in the technical field. At the same is like they were not aware of the requirements of the position that they were interviewing. I initially applied because I had a good perception of the institute. Now I think that they have good people in a chaotic environment.

Interview Questions

• Questions were not difficult but were not related to the position. The questions were more related to day to day work of the person doing the interview.   Answer Question

Lead SQL Server Database Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in December 2015.

Interview

Initial phone interview took 2 weeks to set up and schedule. The actual interview was 5 questions delivered by a non-technical HR person. The interview was recorded and I was told it would be played back for their technical people later. Didn't allow for any clarification in terms of what was being asked or give/take in terms of actual discussion. Was also asked how many miles it was for me to drive there which seems like an odd question for a phone screen. Found out later the HR person was 1000 miles away. No information about the company or position was offered.

Interview Questions

• Lots of questions about Microsoft Best Practices. Best to study beforehand as they expect you to have the answers memorized.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

Process took almost three months and consisted of 11 interviews. One of which was a phone screen. On one of my interview days, two of the people I was scheduled to interview with just didn't come into the office that day and we had to reschedule the interviews as SKYPE calls. For one of the skype interviews the person actually didn't realize which job I was applying for and hadn't even looked at my resume. She essentially asked me questions about my current employer to try and find out what we were doing relative to the work she was doing. One of the interviewers also couldnt' figure out how to use Skype and the interview started 15 minutes late.

I was brought back for a second round of in person interviews with additional leadership. I found this group to be a bit more professional but not particularly engaging other than one person. But I was told the feedback was positive and that the next step would be a meeting with the CEO.

Apparently while I was waiting to have that meeting scheduled, a candidate "emerged" from what I was told. At that point they essentially stopped communicating with me until I eventually called and put them on the spot. I was told essentially in the window while they were waiting to get the meeting scheduled they came across another candidate that was a better fit. You can read a lot into that scenario. I don't think they did anything unethical, just unprofessional and disrespectful to a candidate that you get that deep into the process with. Absolutely have the right to move on, but could have been handled a lot better.

Interview Questions

• In hindsight I think they were more interested in my current employer and what we were doing than they were me the candidate.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with HR: easy and quick. After 1 week and a half, the HR contact called me to schedule an in -person interview in their DC office. The in-person interview lasted around 3 hours: interviewed with HR, a Research Assistant, 2 managers, and back to HR. The interview went smoothly, and I had positive experience there. The HR gave me a feeling that I had a high chance to get accepted, and promised to call me whether I got the position or not. He told me that I should hear back from him in around 1 week and a half. After 4 weeks, still nothing happened. Throughout that time, I contacted the HR twice to check my status, and received responses that the Hiring Manager was still deciding. I ended up hearing nothing from them. The whole process was long and frustrating.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online in June of 2015, and was contacted to do a phone interview several weeks later. After the phone interview, I was scheduled for an in person interview with 4 people from the company that would take around 3 hours. It was rescheduled twice, but I finally had the in person interview in late August of 2015. I thought it went very well. I was promised repeatedly by the person in charge of recruiting that I would hear back from them whether or not I was accepted. He said I should be getting a call for him to tell me whether I was accepted or rejected in about a week. Two weeks went by, and I hadn't heard anything, so I left a voicemail to check on the status of my application. He said no decision had been made, but he promised to call me back with a decision even if that decision was no. He said it would be another week. Two more weeks go by, and I still haven't heard anything, so I left another voicemail and he gives me the same spiel and promises he won't leave me hanging. I never heard from them again. I thought it was incredibly rude and disrepectful of my time to promise me I would get a rejection call from them and then leave me hanging indefinitely. If they had been upfront about it at the outset and said "due to the high volume of applicants, we only plan on notifying people who have been accepted" I would have understood, but they specifically said dozens of times that they would notify people even if they had been rejected, and that turned out to be a blatant lie.

Interview Questions

• Describe to us the research process of a study that you've conducted.   Answer Question

Health Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online and heard nothing. I met a recruiter (PhD Researcher) who came on-campus for an info-session and finally got in touch with an HR person. The whole process was not what was described during the info-session. The HR called out of the blue for a phone screen without prior notice. After the phone screen, it was another two weeks before I had a 2 hour interview with 2 researchers. They mostly wanted me to describe a previous projects and asked if I had questions for them. The second interviewer didn't seem to be interested, and didn't ask many questions. Around 2-3 weeks later, the HR got in touch with me to schedule an on-site interview. We had set the date for two weeks later, and a week before the interview, I received a rejection email (which seemed to be mass-mailed). I was confused to why this happened and reach out to the HR person and found out that she had left AIR. I reached out to the PhD Researcher who only told me that everything over in the HR side is confidential, and even though I followed up with another HR person, I never heard back. Overall, their HR seems to be pretty disorganized and unresponsive.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Interview

applied online
    Contact by HR 4 weeks later.
    HR contact was very professional.
    Flew in 2 weeks later, hotel and flight paid.
    Met with a handful of people: direct boss, colleague, phone interview.

Since it is a research institute, I was expecting very bright question and meeting ivy-league level people. Wrong math notation. Unaware of new methods. I asked to see the project, it's something I could do in a day with coffee. Data analysis is equivalent to 3rd year college level.

They sensed I am not too excited, asking for high pay. No offer next day.