American Institutes for Research Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

American Institutes for Research Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated May 28, 2017

2.9

48 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC).

Interview

Met with four senior level folks. We discussed my project management skills. They wanted to know about my technical skills. They asked about my education background. They asked about my past experiences. They wanted to know if I worked on multiple projects at the same time. They wanted to know if I had experience with folks from outside engineering.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC).

Interview

Two rounds of phone screen followed by an onsite interview. They asked a lot of technical questions on SQL and some questions on Excel. The overall experience was very professional and efficient and people there were very nice.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online. I had one screen interview with HR, followed by phone technical interview and onsite interview. Questions on Data structure, Algorithms, C#.Net, SQL, Multi threading, Problem solving skilss, Database queries.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

Phone screening with the recruiter followed by phone interview with two senior software engineering managers. They mainly asked theoretical technical questions and had specific answer in mind. Any alternative valid options were not taken seriously. It was obvious that the interviewers were not able to evaluate analytical problem solving creative thinks skills.

Interview Questions

• What is the minimum and maximum number of entries in a JOIN operation?   Answer Question
    • What is a good indexing method for word-search in documents to populate a list of documents as you type?   Answer Question
    • What is the time complexity of a binary search algorithm?   Answer Question

Psychometric Support/Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

The total process once I received the first call from the recruiter took about three weeks, it was very quick. I applied online through Indeed and got a random call a few weeks later asking me to do a brief, easy phone screening. The next step was a 30 minute phone interview which was also very easy and straightforward, asking mostly about my interest in the position and my research experience.
    The final step is a 3 hour in-person interview; since I was traveling out of the country we scheduled a skype interview, and I spoke with 6 different individuals for 30 minutes at a time. Fairly straightforward and mostly similar, asking me mostly about my research experience, why I was interested in working for AIR, and my future plans etc.
    I found out a week later I got the offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your undergraduate research experience and talk a little about working independently and with others   1 Answer

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

a recruited contacted me and scheduled a 30 minute interview with the IT director. basic questions mostly on my background and on the job description. passed that and got another 30 minute technical interview. was good and got a third face to face interview with 6 people who i work with each with 30 minutes.

Item Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in June 2016.

Interview

Three interviews, one face to face, two by phone. They had an editing task where they had random writing samples which were to be edited. The expectation was that the item writer knows obscure science facts by rote.

Test Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in May 2016.

Interview

Screening interview with HR, phone interview with manager, flew me out for third interview during which time I took a one hour test and had a half hour interview with 5 different team members. It was almost s 4 hour process.

Psychometric Support/Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC).

Interview

There were three interviews in total. First a brief (15 min) phone interview, then a 30 minute phone interview the following week, followed finally by a 3 hour interview on sight.

The first interview was pretty standard (why are you interested in working here, etc.); the second was more about my experience; and the third was fairly similar to the second but on sight and with more people.

Interview Questions

• What are your research interests?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle a situation where someone on your team was doing something you knew was incorrect?   Answer Question

Linux Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

I have done many phone interviews, but nothing has been as odd as my experiences with AIR. First call was a quick series of technical questions that were almost unrelated to the job offered. The questions were programming oriented questions for a Linux systems administrator job. I thought that was the end of it and was sent a email stating I was not selected. Shortly after I was emailed again asking for a second phone interview. They canceled that one at the last minute. It was rescheduled and we started talking about my past experience. Mid way though me talking they said it was 'not a match' as they were looking for 10-15 years of experience in the Linux systems administration field and I had about seven.

I hear that AIR is a great place to work but they have a pretty unusual set of gatekeepers there.