American Journal Experts Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 27, 2017

2.3

Independent Contract Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waxhaw, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Journal Experts (Waxhaw, NC) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Within 3 days, I received a sample editing exercise, which seemed relatively straightforward. I completed the edit and heard back from them 1 week later that I did not meet their standards. I was never given any idea of possible salary ranges, etc., so I'm not sure I would've even taken the job if offered. I felt that my sample edit was thorough and well done. I wouldn't approach the sample edit any other way if I had it to do over again. So, for this reason, I am sure that it would not have been a good match for me or them.

Independent Contract Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Journal Experts (Durham, NC) in February 2016.

Interview

I did apply to AJE for work as a copy editor, on materials science papers. I have a PhD in physics, from a materials science/solid state physics group at one of the more prestigious universities on AJE's list of approved universities (the company hires as copy editors only those with degrees from a select list of universities).

After submitting a complete résumé which summarized, among other qualifications, recent prior copy editing experience consisting of about 200 ESL papers, I was happy enough to get to the next step, the required submission of a sample--- editing an article that AJE gave me, as a test. The article was by a Korean, and from prior experience I knew well and in detailed ways the kinds of mistakes that Korean authors usually make. Also, a very brief statement of the principles of copy editing AJE-style was sent to me, to which I was to adhere. The rules were all quite ordinary, what any sensible copy editor would do anyway.

And I was pleased to see that the sample was sent by a "real" person, a head copy editor of sorts for materials science papers who used her real name (the prior communications from AJE were anonymously sent). A bit of "Googling" revealed that she was only six years past her PhD, which she had earned doing materials synthesis and analysis procedures in support of her professor's micro-specialty in a materials science backwater--- using commercial instrumentation that comes with software that interprets the results for the researcher. I'm decades beyond my PhD, at a phase in my life that I can take a job that doesn't pay much yet is challenging and interesting. Her old professor has her new job at AJE listed on his website, as if it were an acceptable outcome for a STEM PhD.

Then a remarkable thing happened. Upon submitting my completed sample I did only then receive an additional, lengthier and more nuanced list of AJE rules for editing. And the new rules rather strangely set forth policies advocating a kind of reticence toward fixing problems with the papers. Other than straightforward sentence-level grammar, spelling and word usage corrections, I was to just suggest to the author that he might consider making changes when something worse was wrong. I must say that none of the AJE documents were especially well written, and said nuances were consequently hard to interpret.

I was naturally inclined to suppose that the instruction to not fix problems of meaning in the papers simply meant that I was not to try to deal with the science if there was a problem with the reasoning or analysis. But again, that would be something that every copy editor naturally knows to avoid--- if that were anyone's job it would perhaps be the peer reviewer's job, not mine. And some of the wording was not reconcilable with the need to deal with special problems of ESL authors. Sometimes they so badly bungle wording that you really can't just tell them to fix it--- of course, they bungled it because they don't have any idea how to fix it. It's better to show some wording that you think is correct and then flag it by telling them, in a note, that they should be certain that you have not inadvertently given the sentence the wrong meaning (because everyone reads their second language better than they write it, and so that may work). Otherwise, what we being paid for? To tell them that their English is bad?

So I then realized that perhaps I had been pitched a curveball. The author of the sample that I completed had made two mistakes when citing prior work. He got the dates of two prior experiments by others interchanged. And he described one of the experiments in a misleading way, which could have been due simply to his language limitations. It was just one sentence, and so yes I fixed it (with a note in the margin to explain).

But, as soon as I saw the strange new nuanced directions concerning how to edit I instinctively thought that I was going to get dinged for what I had done. An email came; I was rejected. My offense may have been that I looked up a reference (which is in general a good thing to do just to get a handle on the words of art that are in use by the author's peers). I wrote back to ask for reconsideration given the bum steers that I have just described, but there was no answer from my dear colleague the head AJE copy editor for materials science.

To the owner's of AJE, I don't think that the spectacle of PhD'ed clerks is anything that your customers want to encounter. You know nothing about almost every subfield that you handle (as no one knows much about more than one or two subfields of anything). So how do you know if any one of your head copy editors is better or worse than her subordinates? How do you know if they make the editing better or worse? You don't need, and shouldn't have, PdD'ed clerks.

Interview Questions

• There were no questions. I submitted the sample and other qualifications as is discussed above. The entire process was online.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Journal Experts (Chapel Hill, NC) in November 2015.

Interview

After submitting an application to become a contract editor, I was contacted within a few weeks and asked to perform a practice editing test of a scientific paper. I was given the option to choose among several different papers in different disciplines. AJE provided clear instructions on what kind of edits they were looking for, as well as the process for doing so. The test itself took a few hours. After a few more weeks, I was then contacted and told that I had passed the test and could edit for them, and was given the orientation to their internal website. It was a very easy, efficient interview process.

Academic Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at American Journal Experts (Durham, NC) in September 2015.

Interview

First submitted a sample edit, followed by Skype and in-person interviews. Began the in-person session with (I think?) an informational-type interview/chat with current employees, but the purpose was never completely clear. A Proper interview followed with two managers who maintained a very (perhaps deceptively?) relaxed tone. The manager indicated they'd have a response within a week, but it took more like 2.5/3.

Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Journal Experts.

Interview

Applied online and had the name of a reference who currently worked there (I don't know if this helped). I received an email shortly after with a ~500 word test edit. I edited it according to the guidelines provided in their editing guide. My test edit was scored within a week and I scored well enough, so I was hired.

Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Journal Experts.

Interview

The process was straight forward, I applied online with AJE, submitted my resume and a writing sample. I was contacted by the staff about two weeks later and received a test edit, which was very similar to a regular editing assignment you would receive once hired. I had a few days to complete and submit the assignment. A few days after submitting my test edit I was hired.

Scientific Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at American Journal Experts (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

Recruited at on campus interview, then filled out online form. Phone interview with managing editor. They reviewed the skills required and the review process. I then edited a series of journal articles to assess my abilities and determine how to taylor my writing to certain fields.

Interview Questions

• Interview was very reasonable and friendly. No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Contract Editor Interview

Interview

No interview per se. Online application is straightforward if you're from one of their qualifying schools (CV, basic info). They then ask you to submit a writing sample, and then you get a test edit. Once you pass that, you start getting assignments.

Contract Editor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at American Journal Experts.

Interview

I was recruited through a campus wide email. After an initial resume and writing sample review, you are given access to their editing guide. You are given a multiple choice test on this guide that you must pass to continue in the process. Next, you do a test edit that you are compensated for. If they like that they give you a temporary positions, and after 3 more "watched" edits, I became a team member.

Quality Control Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at American Journal Experts (Raleigh, NC) in August 2013.

Interview

There were no off-the-wall questions. This was a long time ago, but they sent me a test edit due to the nature of the work I was going to be performing for them. I submitted the test edit, got a phone interview, and then came in for a face-to-face interview. Everyone was very responsive, and my total time from application to signing my contract was three days!