American Museum of Natural History Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at American Museum of Natural History

2.7

Museum Curator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at American Museum of Natural History (New York, NY).

Interview

Initial communication by email, interview was a full day, very intensive.
    No feedback during interview. Your job talk is critical, as are strong people skills.

Interview Questions

• How will you collaborate with Curators in other departments and Divisions?   1 Answer

It's incredibly expensive living in NYC. AMNH has no housing benefits.

Museum Educator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Museum of Natural History (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

The staff is very friendly! The interview was not easy, but very comfortable because they focused on my resume and the job expectations. It's more to see if you are a good personality fit. Also it is evident you need good customer service skills because of the number of visitors.

Interview Questions

• What would you do about a difficult visitor? (There was a specific situation I can't remember)   1 Answer

Artist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Museum of Natural History.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted via email approximately two weeks later for a phone interview. Interview with the division manager is like any basic interview with specifics on your education and skill sets.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Museum of Natural History (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

Very normal. Asked specfic questions about my past experiences. She then provided me with a more detailed description of the duties and responsibilities. She was very polite and professional and she did not come off as pretentious or authoritative. The actual internship itself was wonderful.

Interview Questions

• How familiar are you with adobe inDesign and Photoshop?   1 Answer

Administrative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Museum of Natural History.

Interview

Everyone was very direct and honest about the work load, hours, and responsibilities of the position. Very easy and friendly environment for an interview, and interviewed with a few different levels of management within the division. Everyone was open to explaining their role and their experience at the Museum.

Technical Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Museum of Natural History (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I was interviewed by phone and in a small team setting and I did not receive the job. However, the team lead kept me in mind and I was ultimately hired for a different contract position. Everyone on the team was really friendly, kind and passionate about their work!

Interview Questions

• They mainly had me walk through my past projects, and compared the skills I had to their ongoing projects, which they described in depth.   Answer Question

Guide Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Museum of Natural History (New York, NY) in May 2010.

Interview

When you go to this interview make sure you wear dressy business attire no jeans and sneakers ! I went online and applied they asked about school if you do poorly in school do not attempt to apply for any type tour guide, the supervisor will ask you what is your favorite subject , why do you like the museum ... do you come to visit often , just be yourself .... oh yeah one other thing there is a test ! you will have to know where everything in the museum is water fountains , bathrooms , ticket sale points , exhibits everything so grab a map and take a tour before you start !

Assistant Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Museum of Natural History (New York, NY) in August 2011.

Interview

I had previously worked in the museum and therefore got an interview rather quickly after applying through the career online application. The interview was conducted by two individuals and lasted almost an hour where I was asked various questions about my teaching style, administrative skills and supervisory experience. The whole interview was a little off putting as it seemed more like a formality since I had connections rather than a proper interview where I was a legitimate candidate.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult thing about managing others?   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with a problem with a volunteer that has their own teaching style rather than an employee?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Museum of Natural History in July 2012.

Interview

I had been an intern at the AMNH before and met the interviewing supervisor, so it was relatively easy. The best thing you can do is have a personality and be engaging. Be honest, and if you don't know something don't lie, because it's likely the person you are interviewing with does know it and will call you on it. Go in with decent questions, if only to make you seem like you're invested.

Operations Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Museum of Natural History (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

A few weeks after I applied online, I was invited for a phone interview. Right before my scheduled phone interview time, I was asked to reschedule for a week later. Phone interview lasted 30 min or so, and I was asked to come for an in-person interview, which lasted slightly more than 30 min. The in-person was with 2 director-level personnel who asked more open-ended Qs, making the interview a little more challenging than usual.