American Public University System Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 28, 2017

2.5

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charles Town, WV

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Public University System (Charles Town, WV) in February 2017.

Interview

Very friendly and engaging. Participants were inquisitive about skills and background. Lots of give and take by all involved. Interviewer talked about the University and what it had to offer potential employees

Interview Questions

• Typical questions: strengths/weaknesses, how I handled various situations, assessment of skills and interest in position. Where did I see myself professionally/personally in 5-10 years   Answer Question

Liaison Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charles Town, WV

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Public University System (Charles Town, WV) in April 2016.

Interview

Sent in my application, received a writing screen request that was easy and just required answering a couple additional questions. Then I had a phone interview, which was easy, and was invited for an in-person interview. The in-person interview was a little strange, and there was no opportunity for me to ask questions; they just asked their own questions and then showed me out. They told me I'd hear "early next week" but it took three weeks to finally tell me that I didn't get the position (by e-mail).

Interview Questions

• What have you disliked about people you've worked under in the past?   Answer Question

Online Instructor Interview

Interview

Unpaid training is illegal in the US, yet the application asks if you are willing to participate in it, and it seems they do require it. One is entitled to report illegal practices such as unpaid training to the DOL, as well as report retaliation for applicants or employees unwilling to participate in illegal practices such as unpaid training. I'm not sure how they've gotten away with this for so long, but the DOL clearly states that and there have been plenty of court cases to back it up. This is true federally, even in right to work states. I believe this information is on-topic and meaningful to a person who is seeking to understand what it is like to work or apply at this particular company.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to participate in unpaid training for several weeks?   1 Answer

IT Helpdesk Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charles Town, WV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Public University System (Charles Town, WV) in October 2012.

Interview

phone interview, followed by 3 on site interviews. Wasted almost a week's vacation time on this place, they were very disorganized. Hiring manager seemed to be a total micro manager, not letting any of her subordinates make any hiring decisions. High turnover in the IT group as well. My experience was similar to the other comment seen here, except for the fact that the person I started the interview process with quit after only 2 months on the job. What does that tell you about the management here?

Interview Questions

• never had any real technical interview questions, very general   Answer Question

Associate Vice President - IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charles Town, WV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Public University System (Charles Town, WV) in May 2012.

Interview

The interview process started out rather standard. Very generic emails generated out of recruiting system to setup a time for phone interview. Had interview, very easy back and forth conversation discussed my background, told me about the position, etc. 2 days later got another generic email from recruiting system to schedule an in-person interview. After providing dates and times, received an invitation for an in-person interview scheduled for an hour. The day of the interview I met with the CIO first, then the hiring manager. I was there for over 3 hours which was fine, but unexpected. I was told after that interview that they should have a decision made within a week. I followed up with recruiting, and a few days later got an email from an HR person saying that they're going to send me an email to provide names for an automated recruiting system.Provided the information and within 2 days had all my references provide feedback. Nothing heard for about 2 weeks then got an email that they wanted me to meet with 3 senior staff and 3 staff that would report to me. The interview with the most senior person was very interesting - she walked through my resume from college, through every job. Feedback received later was that I sure moved around a lot. (interesting because I've been with my current company for 9 years). I was told they'd have a decision by the end of the week. I followed up the following week and kept getting responses that we can talk tomorrow, we can talk the next day. This went on for over 2 weeks with me waiting around for her call. Finally I get a call from the CIO and VP of IT telling me that leadership wanted to go another direction with the focus of the position and I wasn't a fit. However, they both felt I was a great fit for their organization and they would find me another role.
    2 weeks later I get an email asking me if I was still interested in that position - to which I replied I was. I came in the next day and spent about 1 1/2 hours discussing the position. Next we setup 3 30 minute phone calls with the staff who would report to me for the next day. I asked whether they were the decision makers and was told they weren't. The following day i called into a conference bridge and had the calls with the 3 managers. I thought the calls went very well.
    Was asked Friday whether I could talk Tuesday (Monday was a holiday) and answered that I was available all day. No call on Tuesday (which I guess is just the norm). Wednesday AM get an email asking if we could talk in the afternoon. Well after being 10 minutes late calling me, i was told that the staff didn't feel a connection with me. Now I'll be honest with you - in my entire career the one thing I bring to any job is my ability to connect with people and build relationships with them. So basically - the staff didn't want this position filled (new position between them and the VP) so they decided to block me. What's interesting is the connection I had with both the CIO and Hiring manager was very strong and they both admitted that to me. The staff was obviously successful, but was very surprised that the VP would let them make the hiring decision.
    I'd really watch out with this place - especially in the IT department. If you are coming into a senior position you are at the mercy of the lower level staff.

All in all it was a waste of time and energy. I would have rather them say no, no thank you early on and let me move on. Instead they dragged it out and wasted an incredible amount of my time.