American Red Cross Disaster Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Red Cross Disaster Specialist Interview Questions

Interviews at American Red Cross

2.7

Disaster Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Red Cross.

Interview

Phone interview lasted about 20 minutes from a recruiter, interviewer was personable and professional. Asked about 10 questions. At the end of the interview sent me an email to fill out additional information for background check.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience leading volunteers?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for American Red Cross

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Detroit, MI) in June 2015.

Interview

Began with the person whom I thought would be the sole interviewer telling me she had about 30 minutes to ask an hour's worth of questions. It evolved to be a seven-person panel lasting over an hour. They asked the gamut of questions, and was generally stress free. They did ask a question regarding my background as a social worker, and how that may impact my work as a disaster services specialist. The seven-person panel ranged from current volunteers to Senior Disaster Program Managers.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked in a Matrix environment?   1 Answer
    • Describe yourself in one word.   1 Answer
    • What is your experience in managing volunteers?   1 Answer
    • Are you available to be on-call, respond to emergencies 24/7/365?   1 Answer
    • Are you fluent in computer programs such as Word, Excel?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Grand Rapids, MI) in June 2015.

Interview

Initial phone interview. Person conducting interview was HR calling from central location. Interviewer was very polite and professional. Lasted about 15 minutes. General questions about background and experience. Discussion on salary relatively early revealed this wouldn't be the right fit for me. Interviewer was very helpful discussing other ARC positions that would be better suited and encouraged me to keep an eye on their positions.

Disaster Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Red Cross.

Interview

Takes a very long time. Interview process is pretty routine (along length gaps with no communication). The hiring process was a little clunky with salary negotiations being reduced at the last minute (unethical)

Negotiation

not a good negotiation. felt a little deceived and double-crossed. not very ethical.

Disaster Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross.

Interview

I interviewed some time ago so I may have forgotten a few details. I applied online and I was selected by an HR representative from Washington D.C. who conducted a brief phone interview/screening. Then I had a 1:2 interview at the local headquarters with the Disaster Director and a senior volunteer. The questions were not about my work or education experience, they were somewhat abstract like "what are three words that best describe you" and "why do you want to work at the Red Cross." I then did some minor computer tests like created an excel spreadsheet. I then waited about three weeks before the same HR rep from D.C. called and offered me the job contigent on another interview at the local headquarter. He then offered a salary which was just below what I originally told him was my minumum. I believe this was strategic because he said he would see if he could raise it to my minimum and get back to me (tip: don't tell him your absolute minimum because that is what they will try to offer you). Another week or so went by and the HR guy was able to raise the salary to my minimum and scheduled me another interview. I "interviewed" with the same two people at the headquarters which was more of a get to know each other session than an interview.

Disaster Specialist Interview

Interview

I was initially turned down through HR screening without even an interview. I was eventually offered an interview after passing my resume along to the actual hiring manager and bypassing HR. Had initial HR interview with very basic questions. Moved on to panel interview over the phone because was out-of-state.

Interview Questions

• Challenges associated with volunteers and ways to get community involved.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Norfolk, VA) in April 2013.

Interview

Had to fill out an Application, and sign up for a Introduction class. The class explained the different areas of Red Cross and the fields we could select to volunteer and the qualifications for each. At the end of the class, we were asked several questions to match us with a field that would best suit are skills.

Interview Questions

• What are my available hours and how much time can I commit to each and every month?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Dallas, TX) in May 2009.

Interview

The initial interview was a 1:1 interview with the associate director where the responsibilities of the position were outlined and qualifications reviewed. Because the Dallas-area chapter is very strong in volunteer leadership, the next round of interviews involved a group interview where both staff and senior-level volunteers in my activity interviewed me, asking questions subjects like: how would I work with my volunteer partner to improve my area, how would I resolve a difference in opinion or a conflict with my volunteer partner, which of my skills were most suited for the position, and what my greatest weakness is. They also outlined the position's top priorities.

The hiring process in general is much slower than other organizations, but the work can be very rewarding. The range for the position's salary level was published to their web site, leaving little room for negotiation. Particularly in the case of their Disaster organization, they are very keen on seeing volunteer partners as equals, which might or might not be a bonus for an individual.

Interview Questions

• How would you resolve a conflict or difference of opinion with your volunteer partner?   Answer Question
    • What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question