American Red Cross Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 16, 2017

2.6

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Boston, MA) in October 2013.

Interview

Long, complicated process without prompt follow-up. Questions were convoluted requiring applicant to have questions repeated and make notes of the various parts of the question. Conference call interview wtih 3 people in the room and 3 on the phone from various locations. For internal position with the organization, but it seemed as though successful candidates had already been identified prior to process completion.

Interview Questions

• Not simple questions, but questions that were many parts with multiple scenarios to address. Not provided in written form.   Answer Question

Mud Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Baltimore, MD) in December 2011.

Interview

Short ,straight to the point,not to many questions ,a little about my background, more about my wants ,and needs,and the direction I'm trying to go in. Where do I see my self in five yrs.

Didn't

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

Spent most of the time asking me about very specific job requirements that weren't even on the job posting description then was told I probably wouldn't advance because I didn't have these??? If they were so critical then why aren't they on the job posting? What a waste of our time. Now I can see why they have bad employee reviews on GlassDoor. SMH

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the American Red Cross? What is your experience in this specific area of your field (that wasn't on the job posting)? What is your experience with this particular software (that wasn't on the job posting)? You probably won't advance to the next round. Bye.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hattiesburg, MS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Hattiesburg, MS) in January 2009.

Interview

Tough, the questions were all situational with no real answers

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with co-worker who does not cooperate   1 Answer

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pétionville (Haiti)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Pétionville (Haiti)) in August 2014.

Interview

The screening was transparent and equitable. The whole process was very tough and long enough taking about 3 months to be finalized. Background check was in-depth and competitive salary offer was done right after.

Interview Questions

• Why would you like to work for American Red Cross?   1 Answer

Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Friendly people, very detailed. Expect an HR phone screen as well as 1-3 in person interviews. You will meet your direct supervisor/director in person first and then a group of people that have been selected to interview for this position. They normally work directly with the position.

Interview Questions

• Why did I want to work at the Red Cross? Why am I interested in that position?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your background is it relates to this position.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They always say that they can't budge, but ask them to double check. Always negotiate at least 1-3k more (pending position and your experience). They have a range for each position.

Development Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross in March 2017.

Interview

Contacted by email a few days after applying to schedule phone interview with hr. Email included three questions to be answered prior to interview. Phone call was brief and asked a few questions like what overwhelms you and salary. Salary was super low at $19 hourly. Next interview was to be with Regional Manager/Hiring Manager. A week and a half after I got a generic email saying they moved on to other candidates. I had applied for another position within ARC in between that time. Got another generic email saying they moved on to other candidates with an email an hour after from a recruiter to schedule a short phone interview. Confused at the rejection emails but accepted the phone interview for the next week. Phone interview was a quick conversation and included why ARC? Salary was mentioned at a low of $19-21. After a week I had a long phone interview with the Regional Manager/Hiring Manager. She asked a lot of very detailed questions regarding experience and how it would be used at ARC and why. However, her questions must've been for the first Development position. It was confusing to say the least. They are asking for a lot of responsibilities for the position which should actually be the Director's job meanwhile the pay is basically nothing. Good luck finding someone who is willing to do that with the pay offered. After that interview there was silence.

Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone screening went fantastically, as did the first interview with the director and her team. The second interview totally fell apart. The position, particularly the responsibilities and reporting structure, changed dramatically between the first and second interviews and the interviewer seemed incredibly frustrated that I didn't know about the overhaul (no one contacted me to tell me about the changes, although she assured me that someone must have). The process was disorienting to say the least and I only heard that the position was filled after reaching out three weeks later, receiving a one sentence response, "We chose someone else."

I gather that the individual chapters are beholden to the ever-changing priorities of the national HQ. Everyone was pleasant enough and seemed to enjoy their work. That being said, they admitted that things are constantly in flux and I would need to be open to dysfunction. There's a stark distinction in my mind between being an adaptable employee and accepting normalized chaos. I dodged a bullet on this one; I would have accepted the position on salary alone, even if I was worried for how I'd manage the experience.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with conflicting priorities? Have you ever directly reported to more than three people at once?   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Montgomery, AL) in November 2016.

Interview

Simple. Not to the point. Over a text 3 interviews by higher management. Never once discussed job details or 14-16 hour days. No training in the field nothing explained painted a pretty picture. Very brief off subject

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Nothing

Special Assistant to Executive Office Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Washington, DC) in January 2013.

Interview

A phone interview with HR, an in-person writing and editing test, and final interview with chief of staff, all of which tested my suitability for the role, fit for the executive office, and likeliness to remain in the position for several years