American Red Cross Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 17, 2017

2.6

Regional Disaster Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Tampa, FL) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied for the position and was contacted for an initial screening interview by an HR representative about three weeks later. About one week later, I was asked to schedule a phone interview with the Hiring Manager (Regional CEO). About one week after that, I was invited for an onsite interview. This was a panel interview with the Regional CEO, two Division-level Disaster Program Officers and four leadership volunteers. Approximately two weeks later, I was asked to participate in another onsite interview. This was a panel interview with a new interim Regional CEO, and a mixture of new and repeat Division-level Disaster Program Officers and leadership volunteers.

A few days later, the Hiring Manager (interim Region CEO) made an informal offer to me as part of his response to my note of thanks for the latest interview. He indicated that if I agreed to the informal offer, HR would begin the "formal process". I agreed to the informal offer. At this point, the interim Regional CEO informed me that his supervisor (Divisional VP) would like to set up a time to speak with me. Based on the fact that I had received an informal offer and the description of this short phone call, my impression was that the Divisional VP would be giving me some type of "welcome to the team" best wishes. This was not the case. It became very clear after just a few minutes that this was an additional interview. After referring to the phone call as an interview, and approximately 45 minutes of routine interview questions later, the Divisional VP informed me that she had narrowed down the search to two candidates and that I would receive word of her decision within two weeks. I was so stunned by what had transpired that I just went with the flow of the conversation and did not say anything to the Divisional VP about having received an informal offer. I consulted with mentors later and elected to just follow the process through to completion without ruffling feathers.

About one week later, I received an update from the HR rep that confirmed that a decision would be made in one more week (two weeks total). At about the three-week point, I asked the HR rep for an update, and he stated that the team was doing some additional interviews the next week, and hoped to get to a decision by the following week. I asked the HR rep to clarify my status since I had received an informal offer and was told I was one of two candidates remaining. He confirmed that all of my interviews had gone well and that I was a top candidate. He made no mention of the informal offer that was extended.

Approximately two weeks later (five weeks from the final interview with the Divisional VP), I finally received word that I was no longer being considered for the position.

The total time from application to being eliminated from consideration was 3.5 months.

Overall, I was very disappointed by the level of professionalism of the American Red Cross.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with leading volunteers?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for the Red Cross?   Answer Question
    • We've had a lot of trouble with military veterans adjusting to working at the Red Cross, how do you feel that you will adjust to a working environment where most of the team members are unpaid volunteers?   Answer Question

Research Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

contacted for a phone interview. during the first 5 minutes of the interview I was told about the position, at which time I realized I was not interested. interviewer then proceeded to ask me about 8 very formal situational questions, not asking at all about my position or experience or whether this was something I'd be interested in. I asked a few vague questions. Received an offer a week later but declined. Needed to relocate for the position and was not feasible not was I interested in the position.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you disagreed with a rule or procedure and how you handled it   Answer Question

Lab Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Red Cross in January 2017.

Interview

I was first given a phone screening interview then offered an in-person interview at their facility. The phone interview asked about my personal experiences in different laboratory settings. The in-person interview focused on personality and motivation.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you solved an issue while working in a lab.   Answer Question

Disaster Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross (New York, NY).

Interview

Telephone interview with hiring manager. Discussion of the job details and ability to travel. It was basically a very nice conversation. It flowed from conversation, to interview questions, back to good conversation. It was probably the least stressful interview I have had.

Interview Questions

• What are the three pillars of building a strong volunteer base (or something like that)   1 Answer

Phlebotomist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Asheville, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Asheville, NC) in December 2016.

Interview

It was fairly easy. I got really nervous though. I was suppose to be interviewed by a man, but it magically changed to a woman instead.Just be prepared and dress business casual.

Interview Questions

• ·What's your 3 strongest characteristics
      ·What's your weakest
      ·Why do you want to work for us   1 Answer

The man who called to give me the address for the interview, told me "all" the details of the job, but apparently left out a REALLY BIG detail. I was going to train for the job there, but the woman who interviewed me said that I would have to go to Charlotte for 3 weeks straight. I automatically changed my mind. It was kindly ridiculous that they can't get on the same page. I have a family,i can't take off 100 miles away.

Donor and Client Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Charlotte, NC) in December 2016.

Interview

I received a phone call from Red Cross HR. I received a brief phone interview and was told I would be receiving a face to face interview. I went for a face to face interview. I was interviewed by the Senior Manager and the work floor Manager. I thought the interview went well.

Donor Notification Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

This was a one-on-one interview with my Supervisor. He explained the position, responsibilities, shift I'd be working, etc. we went through my resume and discussed my education and work history. I was asked the standard interview questions-"name a time when you made a mistake and how did you react" etc.

Data Entry Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

Just face to face interview in an office. Very relaxed feeling. Interviewe'd with the management of the department. Standard interview questions. Took about 15 minutes. Manager was very pleasant. Discuss their story at the red cross and how they've enjoyed it thus far.

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Montgomery, AL) in November 2016.

Interview

Simple. Not to the point. Over a text 3 interviews by higher management. Never once discussed job details or 14-16 hour days. No training in the field nothing explained painted a pretty picture. Very brief off subject

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Nothing

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross.

Interview

Applied online to their internship program, where you can select your top three departments that you'd like to work with. I received an email setting up a phone call a few weeks later from the communications department. They consisted of classic behavior questions, and I received a email afterwards that I was officially an intern.