American Red Cross Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 20, 2017

2.6

Collection Specialist I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Wichita, KS) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted a week later and invited to do a phone interview. 2 hours after the phone interview they called wanting a face to face interview and emailed me DOT paperwork to fill out before I come to the interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at American Red Cross.

Interview

Submitted resume online. Was contacted by Development Director and went in for 2 different interviews. One one on one and my second interview was first with the team and then with the Executive Director and the Development Director. It took months to get through since they were helping with a disaster at the time I applied. The process is not the same anymore since national has taken over protocol at the local level. Everything goes through National HR and they then send the selected resumes to the next level. Some positions are even narrowed down more by divisional or regional before the local level exec or director has any say so with those in the pool.

Interview Questions

• What was your past experience? Prior experience with events, etc.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Red Cross.

Interview

phone interview with hr, separate in person interviews with manager, director, 2 supervisors, and hr. interviews focused on whether i'd stay at the job, gave thorough description of expectations and job duties.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

offer was above what I would have asked so there was no negotiation.

Team Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

Horrible. Arrived at the gate and no one was there to let me in, making me 6 minutes late. That lead to them telling me to reschedule my appointment, knowing I came from an hour away. SIX MINUTES!! I would not recommend this organization, which is a shame because I did believe in their mission. And the salaries are BELOW sub-par.

Interview Questions

• This was from the phone screen: why do you want to work for us?   Answer Question

Donor Services Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross.

Interview

This was a joke, This interviewer had limited English skills. He did not interview me for the position I applied for and when I asked why he replied Human resources did not give information on that position. He also declined the paid training for the position he was interviewing me for.
     Clara Barton would be very disappointed with how far her agency has fallen.

Financial Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

they called me to make a self introduction and tells me to come in person to know more about the projects that I will need to do.

Introduce the job that is voluntary and I can help with the projects.
    It may contribute to future jobs and help to improve personal abilities.

Direct Services Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Seattle, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

Two weeks after submitting my application, I was contacted by the HR department for an interview at my local HQ. The interview lasted about an hour but was very relaxed and low stress.

Interview Questions

• Describe one success and failure from your professional experience.   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Washington, DC).

Interview

Phone interview with panel of three individuals. Scripted questions, very formal and awkward. Numerous scenario questions based on skill set or experiences in previous positions. No chance for real discussion.

Interview Questions

• Several scenario questions: How would you....? When faced with the follow situation....? Tell me about a time when you used X skill.   Answer Question

Didn't feel like a good fit. Interviewers were not very professional. Entire process was awkward an untimely.

Phlebotomist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pomona, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Pomona, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I sent in my resume using the Careers page on the American Red Cross site. Got informed by a Talent Acquisition Manager via email that the American Red Cross HQ in my region was holding a Career Fair from 9AM-3PM. I replied to the email to confirm my attendance.

On the day of, I drove out to the HQ facilities building. I got to the lobby at 8:50 AM. We learned from the Talent Acquisition Managers facilitating the event that the hiring day was for RNs and Phlebotomists. There were only two RNs interviewing for positions and over 50 phlebotomist candidates. They took us all to a big room where they showed us American Red Cross career promotional videos, and took us out of the room one-by-one to do a mini-screening.

During the mini-screening, they informed us of the schedules we would be assigned to if we were hired as well as the amount of traveling we would have to do. They informed us that we would know our schedules two weeks in advance. If we were okay with the information they told us during the mini-screening, we continued on to the actual sit-down interview with the hiring manager.

The actual interview itself wasn't too stressful. The hiring manager selected questions off a handout from corporate. I was actually expecting a lot of quiz-style questions about the Red Cross and why I wanted to work there, but the interview turned out to be lots of behavioral questions. Thankfully, the hiring manager lightened up the environment by making a point to laugh or smile after my responses, even though you could tell he was trying to speed things up a bit (probably since there were so many folks who showed up to the career fair). Overall, not the most painful interview experience I had, but I don't think I got the job. I honestly feel like I should have made more of a point mentioning how my attitude/skills match up with the Red Cross's mission/goals/vision even if the hiring manager didn't ask me outright about the organization.

Interview Questions

• - Tell me about a time you were in a stressful situation.
      - Tell me about how you behave in a negative environment.
      - Tell me about a time when off-work problems affected a co-worker's performance.
      - Tell me about a time you had to change strategies when something didn't go as planned.
      - Tell me about a time everyone else seemed to "catch on to something" when you didn't. (e.g. a training during which everyone magically seemed to understand/do something with ease but you didn't quite take like a fish to water as everyone else).
      - Tell me how you react under pressure.   Answer Question

Development Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Red Cross.

Interview

Just a short week after submitting my resume to the Red Cross, I was contacted by a HR rep to set up an interview. She was by far the nicest HR representative I have ever encountered! She told me she had a really great feeling about me after the interview and would get back to me shortly after speaking with the women who would have become my boss. That Director flat out refused to even speak with me on the phone. I was surprised, especially since the HR rep was so excited about me as a candidate and my experience. I wonder if the fact that my background included some time in rock music discouraged her? Why be prejudice over musical taste? I had more than even direct experience. Oh, well.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to change your strategy to solve a problem. Tell me about a time you faced a dire situation. Tell me about a time you had to influence others.   Answer Question