American Student Assistance Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Student Assistance Interview Questions

Updated May 9, 2017

2.5

Education Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Student Assistance.

Interview

My interview included and initial conversation with current staff working with the organization, followed by an interview with the students i would be working with. During my student focused interview i facilitated a workshop

Market Research Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Student Assistance.

Interview

The internship went pretty well. The supervisor is polite and asked me some easy questions. Basically they want to know something about myself and what I've done before. And lastly, she asked me if I have any questions for her and ASA.

Interview Questions

• 1.Introduce yourself. 2. Why ASA. 3.Go through your resume. 4. Do you have any experience on market research project? 5. Q&A   Answer Question

Campus Engagement Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Student Assistance (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

Phone interview, but was hired from that with no in person interview. Questions were specific and it was clear that the company has very stringent hiring processes. I was impressed with the level of depth that was reached in the interview!

Interview Questions

• Very specific questions outlining experiences with photoshop, excel, powerpoint, communication, etc.   Answer Question

Fall Partner Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Student Assistance in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online and heard back from ASA in less than a week to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was said to last 30 minutes but only lasted around 15. Questions were straightforward without any of them catching me off guard. Although I should have been the nervous one for the interview, the other woman on the phone seemed to be more nervous than I was. She had so much trouble asking me questions that I had to continuously ask her to repeat herself or rephrase the question (example: she could have just asked what my work ethics are like but she went on and on for about 30 seconds trying to ask that question). The interviewer did not give me a very good impression of the company. I was told I would hear back in a couple weeks to see if they wanted to schedule a face to face interview. They got back to me sooner and I was not offered to move forward which I was relieved to hear.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Student Assistance (Boston, MA) in December 2012.

Interview

Brief HR screen
    30 minute phone screen with hiring manager
    2-3 hour onsite. interviewed with hiring manager and her boss, then with the bulk of the team (all at once, which was a bit unexpected). Apparently, that went well enough that they added a conversation with the VP of Marketing.

Interview Questions

• Nothing particularly difficult or unexpected was asked.   Answer Question

I liked the company, which apparently is a perennial "best place to work" winner. Everyone seemed to have bought into the culture and the direction they're moving after effectively having their business model pulled out from under them is intriguing.

However, HR has a really unhealthy stranglehold over hiring and basically will not negotiate. The offer was not at all reflective of the experience level they were looking for and seemed less driven by the current market rates than by what everyone else in the group (who were hired during the recession) was getting.

Accepting it would have been a $10k pay cut for me, all compensation considered. Benefits were slightly above average overall.

Regulatory Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Student Assistance (Boston, MA) in August 2012.

Interview

Both the hiring manager and HR was involved. It took a while, but we finally got an interview date set up. First, I went to meet with the HR rep. She was friendly and outgoing but also had a list of questions. I felt it was a bit too structured. Afterwards, she walked me up to the manager's office. She was quite cold at first and rattled off questions with speed. Finally, she began to tone it down and we could have more of a conversation.

The oddest part of it all was when the manager assigned me "homework." I completed the task as asked, then got a call from HR in about a week. They said they loved the work I turned in and I interviewed well, but they are going to continue their search.

Apparently, the manager did not have a JD. When she found out that I did, she immediately did not want me in position. It is unfortunate that she felt so threatened by a piece of paper.

Content Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Student Assistance (Boston, MA) in May 2012.

Interview

3 interviews, with HR, intern coordinator, and manager respectively. All held in the same room, one right after the other. First two were mainly screenings, but interview with the manager was obviously where the tests came out. Everybody was personable and friendly, so the environment was definitely very relaxed. Offer given over the phone a few days later (excellent turnaround time).

Interview Questions

• Asked to critique copy when shown a set of 3 potential blast emails.   Answer Question

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Student Assistance (Boston, MA) in March 2010.

Interview

Depends on the hiring manager. Some are slow, looking for a specific type of person and willing to pass on very good candidates for no apparent reason. Others are fast, they find a good candidate and move very quickly to bring that person in.

Interview Questions

• Can you do this job?

struck me as odd.. if they didn't think I could, why did they invite me to interview?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very easy. It was clear they had an acceptable range and my request fell easily into that range. Very little back and forth. I got what I asked for.

Technical Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at American Student Assistance (Boston, MA) in October 2009.

Interview

the process was very organized. I interviewd with 6 managers in pairs and then invited back the next day to interview with the Director

Interview Questions

Negotiation

they would not negotiate said they were a non-profit and had no room to negotiate

IT Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at American Student Assistance (Boston, MA) in May 2009.

Interview

Attended a Jopb fair. I had three interviews beyond the job fair. there was a good information exchange and I got a very good feel for the position the the type iof people who would be reporting to me.

Interview Questions

• There really was no difficult question. People were very friendly and HR was especially helpful.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There really was none