American Student Assistance Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

Sort:

IT Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at American Student Assistance (Boston, MA) in May 2009.

Interview

Attended a Jopb fair. I had three interviews beyond the job fair. there was a good information exchange and I got a very good feel for the position the the type iof people who would be reporting to me.

Interview Questions

• There really was no difficult question. People were very friendly and HR was especially helpful.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There really was none

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Student Assistance (Boston, MA) in March 2010.

Interview

Depends on the hiring manager. Some are slow, looking for a specific type of person and willing to pass on very good candidates for no apparent reason. Others are fast, they find a good candidate and move very quickly to bring that person in.

Interview Questions

• Can you do this job?

struck me as odd.. if they didn't think I could, why did they invite me to interview?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very easy. It was clear they had an acceptable range and my request fell easily into that range. Very little back and forth. I got what I asked for.

Market Research Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Student Assistance.

Interview

The internship went pretty well. The supervisor is polite and asked me some easy questions. Basically they want to know something about myself and what I've done before. And lastly, she asked me if I have any questions for her and ASA.

Interview Questions

• 1.Introduce yourself. 2. Why ASA. 3.Go through your resume. 4. Do you have any experience on market research project? 5. Q&A   Answer Question

Technical Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at American Student Assistance (Boston, MA) in October 2009.

Interview

the process was very organized. I interviewd with 6 managers in pairs and then invited back the next day to interview with the Director

Interview Questions

Negotiation

they would not negotiate said they were a non-profit and had no room to negotiate

Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Student Assistance (Boston, MA) in April 2009.

Interview

career fair then two interviews

Interview Questions

• i think the person asking me this question did not work in HR but they wanted to know who I lived with. I was still living with my parents at the time, but wish I didn't say it because the question is illegal and I got the feeling it affected my salary. (because I was young and perhaps they thought i needed less money)   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Student Assistance (Boston, MA) in December 2012.

Interview

Brief HR screen
    30 minute phone screen with hiring manager
    2-3 hour onsite. interviewed with hiring manager and her boss, then with the bulk of the team (all at once, which was a bit unexpected). Apparently, that went well enough that they added a conversation with the VP of Marketing.

Interview Questions

• Nothing particularly difficult or unexpected was asked.   Answer Question

I liked the company, which apparently is a perennial "best place to work" winner. Everyone seemed to have bought into the culture and the direction they're moving after effectively having their business model pulled out from under them is intriguing.

However, HR has a really unhealthy stranglehold over hiring and basically will not negotiate. The offer was not at all reflective of the experience level they were looking for and seemed less driven by the current market rates than by what everyone else in the group (who were hired during the recession) was getting.

Accepting it would have been a $10k pay cut for me, all compensation considered. Benefits were slightly above average overall.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brockton, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Student Assistance (Brockton, MA) in July 2018.

Interview

Relatively quick phone call for an interview. Reverse discrimination was apparent when I was asked how many "diverse" people have I worked with as peers in the past (as peers not as clients/students). I was overqualified for the position. They are still advertising. Unprofessional ghetto unemployment office.

Interview Questions

• How many diverse people have you worked with in the past? How many people of color have you worked with in the past?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Brockton, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Student Assistance (Brockton, MA).

Interview

Slow process, and extreme unprofessionalism. First interview at the company went well, but I was shocked there was no phone interview. Second interview was about 1 month later. I had to do a presentation for everyone in the office. I was told my the hiring manager at the Brockton branch that I would hear back by that coming Friday. Nothing. I emailed. Nothing. I eventually gave up on them. Then I get a call from HR "Are you all set with the offer?" I was SO CONFUSED. It turned out, I got the job. No one ever notified me and the hiring manager never responded to my emails. I tried to negotiate salary, and the HR guy told me the hiring manager was not willing to. I still went with the job. I notified them I had a vacation coming up that would be about a month into the job. The hiring manager was SO rude to me over the phone about it. "You couldn't discuss this with HR? Why are you coming to me with this?" oh and my favorite "is that all?" then hung up. I was kind of like WHAT JUST HAPPENED!? So then I call the HR guy who apologized for her attitude and told me it should be fine - after all, it was only 5 business days. I even said I would come in on weekends/ work later etc. to make up for it. He said it should be fine and made it known that she has an attitude problem. I started to have my doubts about this job. He later called me to notify me the hiring manager was not ok with it and that I would have to choose. I chose my vacation and to dodge that bullet. Don't bother with this place. No matter how desperate you think you may be! The people in the office look MISERABLE. Management is awful and the hiring manager was even rude and condescending to some of her employees IN FRONT OF ME WHEN I WAS INTERVIEWING. NOT OK, NEVER OK.

Interview Questions

• What forms of advocacy are you passionate about?   1 Answer

Education Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Student Assistance.

Interview

My interview included and initial conversation with current staff working with the organization, followed by an interview with the students i would be working with. During my student focused interview i facilitated a workshop

Content Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Student Assistance (Boston, MA) in May 2012.

Interview

3 interviews, with HR, intern coordinator, and manager respectively. All held in the same room, one right after the other. First two were mainly screenings, but interview with the manager was obviously where the tests came out. Everybody was personable and friendly, so the environment was definitely very relaxed. Offer given over the phone a few days later (excellent turnaround time).

Interview Questions

• Asked to critique copy when shown a set of 3 potential blast emails.   Answer Question