American Type Culture Collection Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Type Culture Collection Interview Questions

2.6

Associate Biologist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Type Culture Collection.

Interview

I got a phone call saying I would have an interview next week and that I would revive an email with a choice of times to choose from. Got the email, sent my time in, they were able to accommodate it. I was interviewed by two supervisors and an HR rep. Very good interview. About an hour long

Biologist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Type Culture Collection.

Interview

The whole process took around 5-6 weeks. The first round was a brief phone interview with the Research Scientist. This was a combination of technical and HR questions. I was then called in for an on-site interview which included 4-5 one-on-one interviews with the whole team and a 30 minute presentation by me on my research experience. Overall, the interview was a good learning process that focused only on behavioral questions and a few technical questions.

Interview Questions

• How do you work with a team?
      Have you faced any challenges in the past?
      Have you had any disagreements with co-workers?
      Have you had any regrets about your previous job?
      Answer Question

Proposal Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manassas, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Type Culture Collection (Manassas, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

I did a phone interview and then the next week or so went in for a 4 1/2 hour interview. I was "ready to go" as they say, and then I had to start to deal with the HR process. This was so chaotic that I ended up turning the offer down after I had signed the offer letter. The reasons for this centered around three areas:

1. Not telling me before I received the offer letter that I needed to take a blood test. And then telling me and my "to-be" boss that I was told that. NO, I wasn't.

2. Telling me they would check my CURRENT employment reference AFTER I turned in my resignation. This is a bad practice. Monster has a great article up on why this is the wrong way to do this. This struck me as unusual, and once I called the HR Manager I was even more confused. I expressed my concerns in a long email thread, and she responded, and I thought I had agreement that they could check my references from my immediate boss, who was ready and willing to provide that information, but he's not HR. Just my boss that knows my income, etc.

The kicker was after having thought I had agreement via a long email thread to go my boss route to meet their requirements (and even call my "to be" former employer after I had started at ATCC if they wanted), getting a note to say "please let us know after you turn in your notice, so we can call your employer."

3. Screwing up my start date badly at the beginning and during the offer letter process. First I was to start X day, then Y, and finally back to X. Oh, and I was the one that had to update the offer letter with the correct date after being told to "scribble it out." Then THEY sent me the corrected version, after I had scrambled over to Kinko's @ 6AM to meet their deadline.

Despite all of this, I was willing to go forward because ATCC is sooo close to my home. I was literally filling out the Aurico paperwork when I got the email in the second paragraph of #2, at the end of a long thread where I THOUGHT we had established my concerns.

I interviewed with GREAT people. I just refuse to get involved in any more organizations with glaring problems. Glassdoor provides a great service - read the posts about HR issues, etc., and you'll understand my point of view.

Way too many red flags.

Interview Questions

• Many centered around the proposal process. All good questions, asked by good people.   1 Answer

See the process above.

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manassas, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at American Type Culture Collection (Manassas, VA).

Interview

Phone interview, followed up by in-person interview. About 8 back to back interviews, including a seminar. Weird thing was not hearing back from them for 6 months. I had obviously taken another job at that point, but no follow-up for 6 months after flying in for an intensive interview was very odd.

Interview Questions

• Very repetitive HR type questions about conflict situations and how to handle them.   Answer Question

Associate Biologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manassas, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Type Culture Collection (Manassas, VA).

Interview

5 Interviews over a course of 3 hours, about 30 or 45 minuets with each person. With lead biologist, supervisor, and HR. Very informative, welcoming, and understanding! They did a great job in going explaining the position, needs and expectations, if you ask the right questions you will see they provide what you need to be successful in your position. Not too many technical questions but be prepared to explain experiences listed on your resume!

Senior Biologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Type Culture Collection (Gaithersburg, MD) in September 2015.

Interview

Very streamlined, with good communication throughout the entire process. A research presentation to a group of scientists was required at the on-site interview. Multiple one-on-one interviews were also part of the process. The on-site interview lasted about 4 hours and was average in difficulty. There were a number of behavioral questions asked by each of the individual interviewers

Interview Questions

• The behavioral questions were typical of any job interview and not difficult if one is prepared.   Answer Question

Production Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Type Culture Collection (Charlottesville, VA) in July 2015.

Interview

First, I submitted my resume and cover letter. Then, I received a phone interview, then an in person interview. All interviewers were friendly and informative. Made me feel excited and happy that I was going to be offered a job. It looked and sounded like a really good place to work. But then I was not offered a job and given no particular reason why not. I di notice when I went for my in person interview that there were a lot of people just celebrating their first anniversary working there. So quite probably a high turnover rate there.

Interview Questions

• What I liked and disliked about my previous employer. (Most prospective employers tend to ask this.)   1 Answer

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manassas, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at American Type Culture Collection (Manassas, VA) in May 2015.

Interview

Standard process. Primary phone interview. Secondary in person interview. They ended up taking awhile to process my application, which was ok with me because I needed to finish up a project at my previous job anyway.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about specific systems they were implementing, and whether I had any experience with them.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate the pay I wanted successfully. Their benefits are good. I wish I had asked for an up front leave bank because I got hired close to the holidays.

Biologist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Type Culture Collection in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was then contacted a few days later for a phone screening with HR. About a week after this I did a phone screening with the scientist who would be the supervisor for the position, and about a week later a two hour Skype interview with HR, the supervisor, and a few other people.

Interview Questions

• Standard HR questions about working with people, strengths, weaknesses, etc. The phone screening with the scientist focused on technical aspects of the position.   1 Answer

I did not feel their offer was commensurate with my experience or especially with the cost of living in Northern Virginia. They were unwilling to negotiate salary or relocation assistance. The negative employee reviews across multiple job-search sites were also concerning.

Associate Operations Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manassas, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at American Type Culture Collection (Manassas, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was about an hour long, which included an initial interview with a recruiter, followed by an interview with the supervisors for the position. It included a short numbers test to see how quickly the candidate could differentiate between similar numbers and basic interview questions. The immediate supervisor asked questions about my ability to coordinate with other departments as well as working with teammates.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you had to work together with coworkers to fix a difficult or complex problem.   Answer Question