American University Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

2.7

37 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Assistant Director of Recruitment and Advising Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online with an employee referral. I had a phone interview a couple of days later. I was then invited to submit a writing sample. When I didn't hear back about the writing sample by the Friday deadline, I emailed the point of contact who then invited me to an in-person interview for Monday morning (short notice). I interviewed with different teams and people for 4 hours and found out later that week they were going with someone else.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deliver news about a bad decision someone else made.   Answer Question
    • Would you be able to work with entitled students who disrespect you?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you worked with a person who had a different personality than you.   Answer Question
    • Can you work with people from diverse backgrounds?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want this job?   Answer Question
    • What kind of supervisory style do you prefer in a boss?   Answer Question

Desk Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in April 2017.

Interview

I submitted my resume, cover letter, and references via email, and then signed up for an in-person interview. They asked several structured questions (below) and then clarified specific logistical issues like scheduling concerns.

Interview Questions

• Asked for examples of how I'd handled situations in the past - for example, how I'd handled customers who seemed unreasonable, or balancing priorities.   Answer Question

Agricultural Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC).

Interview

one in person interview with three people, lasted one hour,a variety of substantive and skills based questions were asked. It was not a stress interview. One problem, though, was that I did not meet my future supervisor at the interview because she was on maternity leave.

Interview Questions

• What is agricultural marketing?   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

you need to talk to the professor and arrange an appointment with him. The process is not very hard but you need to knew your professor well and also do well in his class.

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied on the American University website, filling out an extensive application and submitting my resume and cover letter. I was contacted via email by a HR recruiter and we arranged a time for a phone interview. Phone interview took about thirty minutes, and she told me she would be in touch within a couple of days to let me know if I was moving forward to an in-person interview. She called and asked me to come in for an interview the following Tuesday and informed me that the department was conducting all interviews for this position that day, since they were trying to make an offer to someone before the Christmas break. I went to the interview on campus and spoke with a panel of five people - the department chair, 3 tenured faculty members, and a personnel manager. Two days later, the recruiter emailed me asking for references and asking that I let my references know to please answer her emailed questions as quickly as possible. Three minutes after my last reference texted me that she had sent in the email, the department chair called to make me an offer, which I accepted (did not negotiate).

Interview Questions

• How do you handle prioritizing tasks and completing work in a timely manner when multiple people need you at once?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think we should hire you for this position?   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

The process was pretty easy. Started with a phone interview and then a little over a week later, an on campus interview was conducted. It consisted of a campus tour, lunch and individual meetings with 5 members of the senior staff. They asked normal interview questions and it wasn't awkward or intimidating at all.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your past experiences and why do want this job.   Answer Question

Academic Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in May 2016.

Interview

Thorough process with friendly folks. I liked everyone I met during the interview process. The pay, however, is very low at AU. They could keep people longer at their positions if they had higher salaries. Invest in people!

Adjunct Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American University (Silver Spring, MD) in March 2016.

Interview

I met with former professor and director of the Master's program in two separate meetings. Their goal was to review my knowledge base as well as ideas for the course. Questions illustrated concern for commitment to the time required to the course (6 weeks on Saturdays from 9am-5pm), and quality of content. I tried to convey my passion, not only for the material but for education and the college experience overall.

Interview Questions

• How would you structure the 8 hour class day? What ideas do you have to update the course content? What issues do you see in the industry that students should be made aware of?   1 Answer

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online in November 2015. Received email invitation for first interview in early December. First interview took place in mid-December and last an hour and half, mainly due to conversations resulted from my questions. First interview was with the hiring manager and the person from whom I would be taking over the responsibilities. A few days after first interview I received an email from hiring manager requesting references. Then the University closed for winter break and I did not hear anything until January 2016.

January 2016 - Received an email from hiring manager to schedule a second interview. The second interview was with hiring manager and his superior. The second interview lasted 30 minutes. I received the offer within a week.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions: What did you do in this situation? Tell us about the time that you did that.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Received offer. Made counter-offer. Agreed on a middle ground between initial offer and my counter offer.

Financial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

I went to a college career fair and handed my resume to the Student Activities department at American University and then they emailed me several days later to figure out a time for an interview, I had an interview scheduled for the next week and then I interviewed and was told I got the job another several days later.