American Water Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Water Interview Questions

2.8

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cherry Hill, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Water (Cherry Hill, NJ).

Interview

Interviewed with manager and supervisor and HR Rep. Interview in person. Interview lasted about 1 hour. Questions from each were specific to areas of interest in the job description, supervisor skills and knowledge of business practices and procedures.

Interview Questions

• supervisor skills, water knowledge, construction knowledge, permits, personality questions for supervising.   1 Answer

Contract Positon-Marketing Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at American Water.

Interview

Was interviewed by the Female Marketing Manager and the Female Senior Marketing Manager. I was asked questions about my background then questions about Excel relative to my marketing experience. I was also asked about email campaigns that I have done at my previous jobs.

I could tell I really wasn't getting a good vibe from the interviewers mainly because of my answers to her Excel question. I also figured out pretty quickly the company works with recruiters to hire employees for contract positions- the position used to be full-time. So when it doesn't work out or they don't need them anymore, the company would let the recruiter know they terminated the employees contact. You basically work for the recruiter for about 3-4 months then after a 90 day evaluation the company would make a decision to keep you or not The interviewer pretty much admitted they have hired and let go many candidates for the same position I am interviewing for. I sort of realized this wasn't the right place for me and I got the feeling they knew that. I also didn't like the second interviewer answers to my questions, specifically about growth within the company. She basically said that no one grows in a year or two at American Water.

About an hour after the interview the recruiter called me to let me know "the bad news" that the company has passed on me. The interviewer told the recruiter that she felt I was avoided or spinning the questions she was asking me. I can't say I was surprised but it did feel like a massive waste of time to drive for one hour just for the company to let the recruiter they weren't going to hire only an hour after the interview.

For the people who are interviewing for this position just know that this is a contact position, so at any point they can let you go.

Interview Questions

• Are you more or on the analytical side of Marketing or creative?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Camden, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Water (Camden, NJ) in September 2016.

Interview

My experience with American Water was a dud.

There was a telephonic exploratory call followed by an on-site interview.

Right from the telephonic call to the interview, everything was grossly unorganized and informal. If you are calling an applicant for an interview on-site, you should at the least make sure he/she is formally/properly interviewed.

During the interview, I had a nice interaction with the hiring manager where she told me that she was very impressed with my profile and wanted me to go ahead with the next step of the process. After that I never heard from her/HR for more than a month and post one month I received an auto email stating the rejection of my application for this position.

Firstly, I don't get their point in calling a person (who drove more than 1 hour to their location) and entertaining him for just an informal 10 minutes interview.

Secondly, this rejection email came as a surprise, more so as an auto email and not from the HR. HR should have had some nature of professionalism to politely reply back to me with whatever decision was taken.

Never applying to this organization for any position again till they have people like these in their management.

Interview Questions

• Nothing, just overview of skills.   1 Answer

Water Conservation Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Water.

Interview

The preliminary experience and contact was terrific. American Water is obviously a very professional organization. The headquarters' recruitment department is great but the experience was drawn out because my first interview was bumped three times. Again, the headquarters' recruiter did her best to keep me informed along the way. In the end, an internal candidate was chosen.

Sourcing Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Water.

Interview

Phone interview went very well. First in person interview went well. Very good conversation and understanding. 2nd in-person interview was a dud. One person was looking like he was completely bored an indifferent to the whole process. Kept looking at his phone. 2nd interviewer was late but was engaged. 3rd interviewer was just there as standby since he was present in the first in person. Hr rep was there for all 3 interviews and offered her opinion. Questions were easy yet prodding but really did not have much to do about the job at hand.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to alter your plans on a given project.   Answer Question

Supervisor Customer Advocacy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hershey, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Water (Hershey, PA) in December 2015.

Interview

I received an initial phone interview which lead to an actual interview. The face to face interview was good. The interviewers were engaged and the interview itself was normal. A few weeks after my interview I emailed the HR rep twice to get a status update and didn't receive any response. I only found out that I didn't get the position by checking their web portal. Then I was sent the standard email stating they were pursuing another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult situation   Answer Question

Backup and Recovery Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hershey, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Water (Hershey, PA) in August 2015.

Interview

Interview processes was predictable, interviewed initially with HR and then the hiring manager. Due to the fact that I would have needed to work remote they were not willing to even consider an offer.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Water (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Initial phone interview with behavioral question. Follow interview with manager, and more behavioral questions. The manager didn't care for something I said, she went from laughter to un-pleasant within one question. She then told me she would decide later and would get a call later that day, I never heard from them again.

Operations Tech GPS/Asset Control Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delran, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Water (Delran, NJ) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview came from HR 2 weeks after applying. I met with 2 managers and they were both easy to talk to and it wasn't intimidating at all. First couple of questions were standard; discussing yourself, experience and other things on your resume. The bulk of the interview was more technical and behavioral.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult time where you had to use problem solving skills and how you dealt with it?   Answer Question
    • How would you describe your relationship with previous managers?   Answer Question
    • What kinds of software, GIS and GPS are you most experienced at?   Answer Question

Business Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cherry Hill, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Water (Cherry Hill, NJ) in March 2015.

Interview

first interview was via phone. next stage was a half day of interviews with multiple people. all went well or so it seemed. i followed up with the recruiter who got me in front of the company and then never heard another peep. I followed up with each individual that I interviewed with and still received no reply. not even a courtesy reply via email. not very professional in my estimation. I believe the recruiter had everything to do with me not getting the job, if it was given at all, nor being replied to.
    I will review her recruiting business and have more to say about Kathleen.

Interview Questions

• Biography with performance / results information   1 Answer