American Water Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.7

50 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cherry Hill, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Water (Cherry Hill, NJ).

Interview

I had a rather casual phone interview where I went over my previous work experience and my expectations for the position. I was then called in for a panel interview with three managers and two directors. They took turns asking questions about my experience, job habits, career goals, etc. It seemed like they each had a "role" in the process. One was a "good cop". One was a "bad cop". One kept asking me to elaborate after I answered a question. I think it was a tactic to see how I would handle pressure. Overall it was intimidating, but not the worst interview I have had.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a few, deep knowledge, technical questions that frankly had me stumped.   1 Answer

Operations Manager Interview

Interview

1 step panel interview with several executive manager for about an hour and then offer made directly afterwards. It was a bit intimidating but I survived and put my best foot firward and it apparently paid off.

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cherry Hill, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Water (Cherry Hill, NJ).

Interview

Interviewed with manager and supervisor and HR Rep. Interview in person. Interview lasted about 1 hour. Questions from each were specific to areas of interest in the job description, supervisor skills and knowledge of business practices and procedures.

Interview Questions

• supervisor skills, water knowledge, construction knowledge, permits, personality questions for supervising.   1 Answer

Field Service Tech Interview

Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Water (Naperville, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online through their career website. A couple of weeks later their HR called and performed a mini interview over the phone checking necessary work history and skill level. After completion of the phone call I was scheduled for a sit down interview the next week. The sit down took about 45 minutes to an hour. During the interview, management informed me of another position within the company that was also available and that I might be better suited for. I was offered the service tech position about a week later and started the background check. A week after that I received a phone call (mini interview) for the other open position. A few days later I did a sit down interview for the other position. At this time the other position was offered to me, which I accepted. Although this may seem like a lengthy process one must take into account the holidays. Everyone that I spoke to throughout the hiring was very friendly and very helpful. If they said they would call or contact HR, they did it.

Interview Questions

• My interviewers had a pre-printed questionnaire pertaining to the position and the "how would you handle" scenarios. These are pretty basic life experience questions.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at American Water.

Interview

Was interviewed by the Female Marketing Manager and the Female Senior Marketing Manager. I was asked questions about my background then questions about Excel relative to my marketing experience. I was also asked about email campaigns that I have done at my previous jobs.

I could tell I really wasn't getting a good vibe from the interviewers mainly because of my answers to her Excel question. I also figured out pretty quickly the company works with recruiters to hire employees for contract positions- the position used to be full-time. So when it doesn't work out or they don't need them anymore, the company would let the recruiter know they terminated the employees contact. You basically work for the recruiter for about 3-4 months then after a 90 day evaluation the company would make a decision to keep you or not The interviewer pretty much admitted they have hired and let go many candidates for the same position I am interviewing for. I sort of realized this wasn't the right place for me and I got the feeling they knew that. I also didn't like the second interviewer answers to my questions, specifically about growth within the company. She basically said that no one grows in a year or two at American Water.

About an hour after the interview the recruiter called me to let me know "the bad news" that the company has passed on me. The interviewer told the recruiter that she felt I was avoided or spinning the questions she was asking me. I can't say I was surprised but it did feel like a massive waste of time to drive for one hour just for the company to let the recruiter they weren't going to hire only an hour after the interview.

For the people who are interviewing for this position just know that this is a contact position, so at any point they can let you go.

Interview Questions

• Are you more or on the analytical side of Marketing or creative?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Camden, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Water (Camden, NJ) in September 2016.

Interview

My experience with American Water was a dud.

There was a telephonic exploratory call followed by an on-site interview.

Right from the telephonic call to the interview, everything was grossly unorganized and informal. If you are calling an applicant for an interview on-site, you should at the least make sure he/she is formally/properly interviewed.

During the interview, I had a nice interaction with the hiring manager where she told me that she was very impressed with my profile and wanted me to go ahead with the next step of the process. After that I never heard from her/HR for more than a month and post one month I received an auto email stating the rejection of my application for this position.

Firstly, I don't get their point in calling a person (who drove more than 1 hour to their location) and entertaining him for just an informal 10 minutes interview.

Secondly, this rejection email came as a surprise, more so as an auto email and not from the HR. HR should have had some nature of professionalism to politely reply back to me with whatever decision was taken.

Never applying to this organization for any position again till they have people like these in their management.

Interview Questions

• Nothing, just overview of skills.   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alton, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Water (Alton, IL) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online thru a temp service and also emailed the recruiter my my resume I had four interviews altogether two over the phone and two face to face for American Water the interview process was pretty easy. They asked questions related to past experiences and situations and have you take a few customer service scenario test, typing test and fill out a sheet answering questions about yourself.

Meter Reader Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Water.

Interview

General Questions about experience. There is nothing else to tell, as it was that easy. The person was dry and timid like. We reviewed my resume on a high level. There wasn't any hard questions. I posted my resume on a career site and was called for an interview. A day later went for interview and received a job offer.

Interview Questions

• What area did you cover? Type of equipment used   1 Answer

Water Conservation Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Water.

Interview

The preliminary experience and contact was terrific. American Water is obviously a very professional organization. The headquarters' recruitment department is great but the experience was drawn out because my first interview was bumped three times. Again, the headquarters' recruiter did her best to keep me informed along the way. In the end, an internal candidate was chosen.

GPS Data Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Belleville, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at American Water (Belleville, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview was on phone and it was easy. Mostly behavioural questions and a couple of technical questions. The process took some time. I submitted my resume in january and got interview call in march. I got a feedback in like 3 weeks.