American Water Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 25, 2017

2.7

Supervisor Customer Advocacy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hershey, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Water (Hershey, PA) in December 2015.

Interview

I received an initial phone interview which lead to an actual interview. The face to face interview was good. The interviewers were engaged and the interview itself was normal. A few weeks after my interview I emailed the HR rep twice to get a status update and didn't receive any response. I only found out that I didn't get the position by checking their web portal. Then I was sent the standard email stating they were pursuing another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult situation   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Water.

Interview

Filled out paperwork and finally met. Questions where to the point and they did not sugar coat anything. They do expect you to want to move up, even if that means an extra course to improve yourself. No stagnation. Overall It was an awesome interview.

Interview Questions

• How are you looking to advance yourself?   1 Answer

Backup and Recovery Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hershey, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Water (Hershey, PA) in August 2015.

Interview

Interview processes was predictable, interviewed initially with HR and then the hiring manager. Due to the fact that I would have needed to work remote they were not willing to even consider an offer.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Water (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Initial phone interview with behavioral question. Follow interview with manager, and more behavioral questions. The manager didn't care for something I said, she went from laughter to un-pleasant within one question. She then told me she would decide later and would get a call later that day, I never heard from them again.

Operations Tech GPS/Asset Control Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delran, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Water (Delran, NJ) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview came from HR 2 weeks after applying. I met with 2 managers and they were both easy to talk to and it wasn't intimidating at all. First couple of questions were standard; discussing yourself, experience and other things on your resume. The bulk of the interview was more technical and behavioral.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult time where you had to use problem solving skills and how you dealt with it?   Answer Question
    • How would you describe your relationship with previous managers?   Answer Question
    • What kinds of software, GIS and GPS are you most experienced at?   Answer Question

Business Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cherry Hill, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Water (Cherry Hill, NJ) in March 2015.

Interview

first interview was via phone. next stage was a half day of interviews with multiple people. all went well or so it seemed. i followed up with the recruiter who got me in front of the company and then never heard another peep. I followed up with each individual that I interviewed with and still received no reply. not even a courtesy reply via email. not very professional in my estimation. I believe the recruiter had everything to do with me not getting the job, if it was given at all, nor being replied to.
    I will review her recruiting business and have more to say about Kathleen.

Interview Questions

• Biography with performance / results information   1 Answer

Operator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Water in March 2015.

Interview

In person interview with plant supervisor, 2 upper level supervisors and HR rep. It was very business casual and laid back. Did not feel much pressure.

Started off with asking previous expereience, what a typical day entailed, went over plant processes and type of treatment, work involved and what was expected of me.

Then came then the company culture based questions, I answered honestly based on my own values and from past experiences.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Greenwood, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Water (Greenwood, IN) in March 2015.

Interview

Submitted my resume online, was contacted by a project manager, short phone call, I interviewed with the project manager at my university, I was then invited for a "site tour"/second round of interviews with 3 other associates at the firm, most questions were personality based with a few questions about technical experience in certain fields

Interview Questions

• What is one time you encountered a conflict in a team and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate the compensation

Manager Financial Planning and Analysis Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Water (Indianapolis, IN) in February 2015.

Interview

Human resources will call to schedule a phone interview and then if they think you're a good fit, you will get an in-person interview. During the in person interview, you will typically have two to three people asking questions during the interview; human resources, the direct manager, and the manager above the direct manager. They will typically ask two or three questions each, which typically consist of the "tell me a time when" scenarios.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you made a mistake and how you handled the situation?   Answer Question

IT Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Water.

Interview

Was contacted and interviewed by a recruiter and told about the position, seemed like a great fit with my background doing mergers and acquisitions. We settled on a rate and was submitted for the role. Interest and an interview was scheduled with the hiring manager. On the day of the interview with the hiring manager the interview was cancelled 10 minutes after the scheduled time because after further review they felt i was over qualified for the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Could i explain my experience with corporate Mergers and Acquisitons.   Answer Question