American Well Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Well Interview Questions

Updated Apr 25, 2017

2.8

Java Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Well.

Interview

Phone screen which lasted about 30 minutes. American Well is a company from Massachusetts so I was wondering why they were recruiting in other states. They said they were looking for several remote developers. Sounded good, but not sure if they were actually looking to hire in other states. They didn't have an office in my state. The phone screen was quite easy, I was able to answer all questions except one on the front-end. My resume clearly shows that I am a back-end developer and I applied for a back end developer position. Anyways, a few days after the interview the HR person says I was rejected without saying why. I don't understand why I was rejected but the Indian lady I interviewed with clearly didn't think I was a good fit, even for this mid-junior position. Honestly felt it was just a waste of my time.

Interview Questions

• Very basic software engineering questions; difference between final, finally, finalze, difference between DB function and stored procedure, What is a sequence, web services, data structures, etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Well (Boston, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

First was from the HR which was about 5 to 10 minutes . Next was a phone interview which was technical and last about 30 minutes and final was in-person interview with 3 people for 3 hours .

Support Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Well in January 2017.

Interview

It was a little drawn out from the first phone interview then another phone interview and finally an in person interview. There was a bit of time between each step.

Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at American Well (Boston, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

After a breezy phone screen with two people and a glowing feedback given to my agent, I had an interview scheduled in the company office in downtown Boston. Showed up on time, as usual. First person to interview me, apparently, QA Lead, was 14 min late. No apologies given. During the remaining 15 min of conversation it appeared that I don't have specific skills that they need. Skills they were looking for have never been mentioned neither in job description, nor in a phone screen. Wasted three hours of my consulting time plus $40 for parking. Company employees should get better in valuing their potential consultants time.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Well (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

Over the phone interview followed by two in person interviews. All of those interviewing were welcoming and kind. Malleability is important to the interviewers because the company is changing quickly. They want to know that the employee is willing to mold to the needs of the company. In other words, don't assume your role will not change.

Interview Questions

• Do you have an experience with telecommunications?   1 Answer

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at American Well (Boston, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

Although I was rejected this was truly the most enjoyable interview I have experienced.

The phone screen with the hiring manager was informal and relaxed. He told me about American Well and what his team is working on. He also probed a bit regarding my experience and why I'm looking to move. There were no technical questions. He liked what he heard and brought me into the office.

3 days later I arrive at the office for the in-person interview, I met with 2 people: the hiring manager and his direct report which, I assume, would have been my tech lead.

The first in-person with the hiring manager was the phone screen all over again; informal and relaxed and we talked about the same things. The second interview was the technical one.

For technical interview, I was given a simple XCode project which had some bugs and was lacking a crucial feature. With the interviewer's guidance I fixed all but 1 bug (it was a display bug, not a logic bug) and implemented the feature. The project compiled and produced expected output, however, I went over on my allotted 45 minutes by about 10 minutes. The interviewer was truly helpful and gave me clues to point me in the right direction.

At the end, I asked him, "so, how'd I do?". He responds "very well actually. There have been candidates who after 45 minutes can no longer compile the project". That made me feel good.

The following day I was rejected.

Their reason is my technical skills were not strong enough. My guess is the overage on time and not fixing that last bug is what did me in. Or it could have been because I asked for too much help. Or it's because I didn't ask the right questions.

The whole experience was a pleasure. Both interviewers were kind and easy to talk to and I didn't have to write any code on a white board.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Well in January 2016.

Interview

I applied online. After few days I got an email from HR and scheduled initial phone screen. After that we scheduled a phone interview with technical person. They asked me to tell about my previous experience and there was some basic questions about java and databases. I answered everything and thought the interview went excellent. After a week without response I wrote an email and got reply that they need someone more experienced. I was surprised since I know I answered all technical questions, so may be a reason was different.

Interview Questions

• Q: What's difference between final, finally and finalize?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Well (Boston, MA) in January 2016.

Interview

Multiple phone interviews and one in person. The first one was with HR, second face time via video for the next two and in person in Boston. Once in Boston you had to interview with three executives.

Hosting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Well (Boston, MA) in December 2015.

Interview

I first participated in a phone screen to go over some basics about the role. Time commitments, basic overview of the job, and brief resume review to ensure that there was at least some level of a match. This lasted about 20 minutes.

Next was the on-site interview, where I met with the hiring manager, and two other members of groups I would be working closely with. This lasted approximately 90 minutes. The questions were not a technical drill, but they did test for some basic technical competency. Identifying work ethic, interest, and professional presentation seemed to be the bigger goals.

Interview Questions

• How do you see your potential role with American Well contributing to your long-term career goals?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Well in November 2015.

Interview

Applied two years ago. After a few phone interviews and several in person interviews, they went with someone else but never could articulate why. Told me it was a "tough decision" and to keep in touch. Fast forward two years later. SAME thing happened. They knew I had applied before and totally wasted my time by making me go through the interview process again - phone calls, in person interviews, etc. And same thing - couldn't articulate why they went with someone else (assume they hired a much more junior person who was cheaper, even though I was told my salary requirements were in their range). They actually had the audacity to tell me to keep in touch for further opportunities. Yeah, no thanks. I don't think I'll be wasting my time doing a million interviews with you a third time. Advice to marketing management there - don't bring senior level marketers in for jobs you aren't willing to pay them for. It's a complete waste of everyone's time. They want someone with the skill set of a more seasoned marketer, but basically want them to work for nothing even though the company is profitable and growing.

Interview Questions

• Their questions were very basic and generic for the interview.   1 Answer