Ameriprise Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ameriprise Interview Questions

Updated May 16, 2017

2.8

Interview

Campus fair followed by two rounds of interview, one over the phone, the other at their corporate headquarters. Overall behavioral questions, nothing unexpected; there was also one excel based technical question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Ameriprise (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2017.

Interview

A brief phone interview followed by a 5 hour in person company day with 2 half hour interviews. Also went on a tour of their headquarters. Multiple candidates were there throughout the day.

Finance Leadership Development Program Interview

Application

Interview

My recruiter Shawna was great! She communicated every step of the way. When she called to let me know I didn't get the role, she even provided me with feedback on the areas I could improve upon.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of time when you had to deal with someone who was difficult to get along with.   Answer Question

Product Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ameriprise (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter within a week. We scheduled a brief phone screening, and then I was brought in for an in-person interview. My only complaint was that I was told I was meeting with one person, when in fact I was meeting with three. There was also a writing exam portion that I was not informed of in advance, but it was fairly straightforward. I didn't end up getting the job, but the recruiter called to tell me I "couldn't have done anything differently," they just went with someone with a financial background instead...can't blame them. Overall, an incredibly positive experience and I liked every Ameriprise employee I met.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle change? Give an example of a time you had to handle a last-minute change.   Answer Question
    • How do you feel about being in a supporting role?   Answer Question

Paraplanner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ameriprise.

Interview

Pretty odd. Asked questions that seemed to be taken out of a "How to Interview Someone for Jobs" book. They spoke of the position as if it was impossible. I'm not sure what they were looking for, but it must not be someone who is registered with experience in the industry.

Interview Questions

• In the past, we've hired people with your work experience and they didn't work out. What makes you different?   1 Answer
    • We have meetings during the day, how can we know that you'll be on time?   1 Answer
    • What kind of books have you read to better yourself?   1 Answer
    • What's the difference between a value stock and a growth stock?   1 Answer
    • We require you take a math test, is that okay?   1 Answer

Client Service Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ameriprise.

Interview

One phone interview and two in person interviews. They were very open and honest. A little over a week between each interview. Communication was through their hr department at corporate headquarters.

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ameriprise (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2016.

Interview

I got a interview via a staffing agency, before which I had to clear their technical screening interview (webex). Clearing the technical screening had two more rounds both webex. Must have xcode running system so that they can see you write code. Situational questions asked that can be answered verbally. The interviewers are very supportive, very strong & experienced professionals.

Interview Questions

• Show storyboards + autolayout demo as per their need.   Answer Question
    • Parse json from locally added file to project. Write a custom method to parse json quicky & easily.   Answer Question
    • Create UITableView with dynamic height rows as per content in cell.   Answer Question
    • How would you perform unit test on UITableView?   Answer Question
    • Write a BLOCK method that takes 2 parameters as string and returns a string with appending received 2 strings from parameter.   Answer Question

Receptionist Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ameriprise.

Interview

They cared about how you as an individual would fit in to their office just as much as they cared about your experience. They were willing to work with you and train you until you felt ready to take on responsibilities. A very pleasant experience for my first official interview out of college.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you went over and beyond the call of duty for a client.   Answer Question
    • Give me a creative solution you have come up with to solve a problem you have encountered at work.   Answer Question

Field Contact Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Ameriprise (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2016.

Interview

1. Online screening
    2. Phone Interview
    3. Final Interview

The whole interview process was very fast and very smooth except the final interview. In the email, I was supposed to interview with two managers and one ended up being out of the office when I arrived. The manager then pulled in a sales coach who did not say anything except read off two questions. Most of the interview was about the job role and then there were about five questions that follow afterwards. Those questions were behavioral ones - you had to state examples from your own experience which reflected the skill they were looking for. The manager did not show any enthusiasm , did not smile, and seemed a little tired of the job. I have taken interviewing classes from my management position at Wells Fargo and it seemed like this manager was there just to get through the interview.
    After contacting my recruiter, it turns out the manager did not want to move me forward. I was confused because I had met every skill and felt I interviewed very well. The only feedback I got was that I said "work life balance" in the interview and the manager felt I wouldn't keep work a priority. First of all, Ameriprise Financial have advertised programs on their Career Center which speak to Work Life Balance. If I knew it would have been an issue and wasn't a true value, I would have steered clear of saying anything about it. Secondly, I only said work life balance once and the manager twisted it out of proportion and put her own judgement on it. My recruiter was great and listened to my side and promised to speak to the manager. I asked if there was any I could clear up the miscommunication or re-interview with someone else. The position was literally perfect for me and everything I was looking for to make a career change. I was informed that the training would take 17 weeks, M-F, it was a very independent and structured environment. My recruiter contacted me and let me know that he spoke to the manager and she still said no.
    I find it very surprising how a company could go against its own values, refuse to clear up a miscommunication or give me a second chance to clarify when I have shown enthusiasm for the position. They still have open positions as well. I am very disappointed how a personal opinion can be used to disqualify a candidate.

Interview Questions

• They asked for behavior examples when you showed that you handled conflict   1 Answer

Senior Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Ameriprise (Minneapolis, MN) in January 2016.

Interview

Had a phone interview with HR and then an in person interview. The interview was over an hour and panel style with the hiring manger and another manager. They asked behavioral type questions, and a lot of them. After the interview they asked for my references and even called a few of them. I was expecting to get a job offer, instead the HR person emailed me and said they decided to hire an internal candidate. Who calls your references and then doesn’t give you an offer? My references had only good things to say about me so that was not the issue. A few weeks later, they called me to interview for another position. I did another phone interview with a different HR person. I was told I would be called back for an in person interview. After a week, I checked back with HR and was told I would hear something soon. However, I never heard back anything and after that never bothered to follow up again. I would not want to work for this company if they can’t even show respect to candidates by following up. Also the fact that they called my references and then did not make an offer was very annoying!

Interview Questions

• How well do you deal with ambiguity?   1 Answer