Amgen Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amgen Scientist Interview Questions

Updated Jan 12, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amgen (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

It was long and tiring but good. It was whole day interview process. I was taken to dinner at the end of interview. Overall a great experience. Amgen is a great compamy

Interview Questions

• my plans for next 5 years. some general questions. Some scientific questions. Overall everyone was nice and welcoming. Its a big company.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amgen

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

This interview was Intense, yet was efficient, and very well arranged. I was able to obtain lots of information and resource about this position. The team was very friendly, and I experienced 1st hand warm culture in the organization.

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amgen in June 2016.

Interview

I got a HR interview first. It is about why I am interested in this position and my expectation of my salaries. Then, I got a HM interview one week later. There were mixed questions including both behavior and technic. There was a question: are you a logical person or a people interaction driven person.

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amgen.

Interview

I applied online, 3 weeks later got an email followed by a call from the hiring manager. We talked for ~30 mins about my skills and experiences. He liked me and invited me to onsite interview. 3 weeks later I was flown to the site. I met with the director-asked hard questions-then with the team and principle scientists and managers. I gave a 45 min talk as well. It seemed they liked me but they did not give any hints whether they are going to make an offer or not.
    They were all friendly and professional. They tried to know me better, not to give me a hard time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amgen (South San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

One day trip to the company,
    First, an hour presentation, the presentation was board casted to other company department located all over the US.
    More than 10 face-to-face talk, cheap lunch was offered.

Scientist Interview

Interview

phone interview first and then follow interview at the company. Be yourself and don't try to lie. Be prepared and present your experiences sincerely. Most people are nice until you meet the management.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amgen (Seattle, WA) in September 2013.

Interview

1.Applied via Amgen website.
    2.Being contacted by hiring manager (Executive director of the Dep.).
    3.Being invited for on-site interview. very intensive 2 days of interview with all people on site and in other location (1:1 meeting) + 1 hr presentation + 1 hr Chalk-talk.
       (I felt format-wise it was very similar to academic interview.)
    4.Another phone call from the head of the dep. for 45 mins of science talk.
    5.The Hiring manager did reference check via direct phone calls (45 mins for each of my reference people: 3 refs).
    6.Being invited for the 2nd on-site interview only with the Executive directors of the Dep. + Head of Dep. Being asked so many tough science questions. The Head tried to evaluate my scientific in-depth knowledge in general.
    7.A recruiter contacted me and background-check initiated
    8.Being offered the position

Interview Questions

• I did not expect 1 hr chalk-talk during interview (topic: design of exp. to find out a drug candidate for a disease). I got informed about the topic a day before afternoon (only had couple of hrs to prepare for it, did my best and tried to enjoy it).   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation required since it was THE BEST I can imagine.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amgen (Thousand Oaks, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

Phone interview first and then on-site interview

Interview Questions

• What you will do if you are not agree with your manager or your college?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Amgen (Thousand Oaks, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Process began by being contacted by a principal scientist about scheduling a phone interview. Had phone interview later that day, which was very positive and included a discussion about my current research projects. Then got contacted a month later about scheduling an on-site interview. Flew out the day before, had dinner that night, with interview the next day. Interview consisted of a research presentation (1 hr), followed by a series of 1-1 interviews throughout the day. Really enjoyed the interview process overall. Never felt any tough pressure, it was more just an intense, dynamic discussion of science all day. Interview was very technical, and also included discussion about what life was like at Amgen.

Interview Questions

• "Walk me through your rationale for the enhanced stereoselectivity in your process with your new set of conditions."   Answer Question

Negotiation

Call from HR alerting me of an offer. Follow up call from director congratulating me on offer. Thought it over the weekend with another pending offer, then accepted the Amgen offer.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amgen (Seattle, WA) in July 2012.

Interview

Hiring manager will conduct the phone interview first. If they like you, then you will be invited for an onsite interview. It is a full day interview, multiple 1:1 or 1:2 interview with the higher title staff, then a group interview with the remaining of the department. Collective feedback is asked. But if someone strongly against the hiring, then the hiring manager will consider that opinion.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example to show how you solved a challenge problem.   1 Answer