Amgen Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 15, 2017

3.3

23 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amgen (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Very extensive phone interviews, spoke to several directors and senior scientists.
Invited for a site interview and to present my scientific research. During site visit had face to face interviews all day long. Everyone very nice during interviews.In the end was invited for dinner.

Interview Questions

• Why you want join industry, while most of your experience has been in academia?   Answer Question
  • Questions related to my research   Answer Question
  • Behavioral questions such how you will manage multiple projects   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amgen

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amgen.

Interview

I met 8 people one on one in the group I applied for a position in and I was asked to prepare a 45 minute presentation on their screenshare webpage. One week following the interview I was told that I did not get the position via email directly from the hiring manager. I found that to be very reassuring and I appreciated the feedback. They were looking for someone with more computational bio experience. However, they also let me know they didn't hire my own boss yet (Sr. Scientist/Investigator) and I saw they re-posted the listings again which indicates they are still looking for candidates. Everyone was friendly and I enjoyed the interview but there was a lot of repeating myself throughout the day due to the lack of clear objectives for the one-on-ones.

Interview Questions

• They asked me several technical questions and general questions about my previous work. They rarely asked about my management experience, teamwork, or leadership skills.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amgen (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

It was long and tiring but good. It was whole day interview process. I was taken to dinner at the end of interview. Overall a great experience. Amgen is a great compamy

Interview Questions

• my plans for next 5 years. some general questions. Some scientific questions. Overall everyone was nice and welcoming. Its a big company.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

This interview was Intense, yet was efficient, and very well arranged. I was able to obtain lots of information and resource about this position. The team was very friendly, and I experienced 1st hand warm culture in the organization.

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amgen in June 2016.

Interview

I got a HR interview first. It is about why I am interested in this position and my expectation of my salaries. Then, I got a HM interview one week later. There were mixed questions including both behavior and technic. There was a question: are you a logical person or a people interaction driven person.

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amgen.

Interview

I applied online, 3 weeks later got an email followed by a call from the hiring manager. We talked for ~30 mins about my skills and experiences. He liked me and invited me to onsite interview. 3 weeks later I was flown to the site. I met with the director-asked hard questions-then with the team and principle scientists and managers. I gave a 45 min talk as well. It seemed they liked me but they did not give any hints whether they are going to make an offer or not.
    They were all friendly and professional. They tried to know me better, not to give me a hard time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amgen (South San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

One day trip to the company,
    First, an hour presentation, the presentation was board casted to other company department located all over the US.
    More than 10 face-to-face talk, cheap lunch was offered.

Scientist Interview

Interview

phone interview first and then follow interview at the company. Be yourself and don't try to lie. Be prepared and present your experiences sincerely. Most people are nice until you meet the management.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amgen (Seattle, WA) in September 2013.

Interview

1.Applied via Amgen website.
    2.Being contacted by hiring manager (Executive director of the Dep.).
    3.Being invited for on-site interview. very intensive 2 days of interview with all people on site and in other location (1:1 meeting) + 1 hr presentation + 1 hr Chalk-talk.
       (I felt format-wise it was very similar to academic interview.)
    4.Another phone call from the head of the dep. for 45 mins of science talk.
    5.The Hiring manager did reference check via direct phone calls (45 mins for each of my reference people: 3 refs).
    6.Being invited for the 2nd on-site interview only with the Executive directors of the Dep. + Head of Dep. Being asked so many tough science questions. The Head tried to evaluate my scientific in-depth knowledge in general.
    7.A recruiter contacted me and background-check initiated
    8.Being offered the position

Interview Questions

• I did not expect 1 hr chalk-talk during interview (topic: design of exp. to find out a drug candidate for a disease). I got informed about the topic a day before afternoon (only had couple of hrs to prepare for it, did my best and tried to enjoy it).   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation required since it was THE BEST I can imagine.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amgen (Thousand Oaks, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

Phone interview first and then on-site interview

Interview Questions

• What you will do if you are not agree with your manager or your college?   Answer Question