Amity Native English Teacher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amity Native English Teacher Interview Questions

Updated May 7, 2017

3.3

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amity.

Interview

First you apply online then you may have to travel to an interview location if you are contacted for an interview. You then proceed to give a 5 minute teaching presentation in front of your fellow applicants and a recruiter. If you pass you will then have a personal interview, which may include another impromptu teaching demonstration.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amity (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

First, I participated in a group videoconference that detailed how the company works and the duties of a "NET." This lasted about an hour-an hour and a half. Later through email I was contacted to schedule a personal interview. The personal interview consisted of a "song" lesson and another lesson of your choosing targeted for elementary students. The interviewer acted as your student while you conducted lessons. Lesson are timed. Make sure you ooze energy and enthusiasm. Use lots of props. The interviewer also gave some feedback on improvement. Basic preliminary questions were also asked e.g., why do you want to work for us, what challenges have you overcome, will you be able to teach a wide range of students, etc. Overall, it took about an hour and a half. On the whole, I have no prior teaching experience, but I am at the graduate level. Not to toot my own horn, but their loss. I believe that they're looking for individuals who emit super high energy 24/7 and have the ability to engage their audience.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a small group of 3 years old all crying?   Answer Question

Native English Teacher (NET) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amity (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process was comprised of an online application, and initial group Skype screening and introduction to the company, followed by an in-depth one-on-one Skype interview. I was impressed with their Hiring and Interview Process, and it left me with very good first impressions before leaving for Japan. My experience with the company as a whole was very negative, but the interview process was very professional and positive.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in Japan?
      What is a difficult situation that you`ve dealt with when disciplining a child?
      How would you deal with a difficult or uncooperative student?
      What is something you can foresee as being a challenge when living in Japan?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amity (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Applied one afternoon and got the invite to interview in LA the next day. The interview was split into two parts over two days. I think my case is exceptional because I only had one recruiter present during my initial interview where i presented my lesson plan.

Interview Questions

• Having the recruiter pretend to be a child and having to "teach" that child for ten minutes.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amity (Boston, MA) in February 2014.

Interview

It was a long and arduous process... The first part was a group interview, so they stuffed you in a little room and gave you slide after slide of what Amity was all about. Some information was helpful, of course, but some seemed to be a bit much. After about 3 hours of this, we had a "lunch break" but since we were in a hotel in the middle of nowhere, there wasn't any place to eat, really... Thankfully I brought a granola bar and the hotel had free coffee. After lunch, we had to present the lesson that we had prepared. It was fine, but also pretty nerve-wracking considering we had to present in front of all of the other interviewees! Then we did some group work, and finally after filling out a questionnaire we were let go at around 5p.m.
    They called me back for a second private interview, and in this one the recruiter actually asked personal questions and then I had to come up with a lesson on the spot. She gave me about 10 minutes to prepare and then an additional 10 to present. It was awkward because the interviewer pretended to be an 8-year-old Japanese girl, but I guess she did a pretty good job with the role?

Interview Questions

• What challenges do you think you would face, living and working abroad?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amity (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

About a week after I submitted my application, I was invited to interview at the Los Angeles office the following month. The interview was a 2-day process. The first day consisted of a presentation about the company, a video of life at Amity, a grammar quiz, and presenting a mock lesson I had prepared to my interview group and the recruiters. The second day was a one-on-one interview in which I was asked standard interview questions and then asked to prepare a lesson plan with the provided materials in about 10 minutes.

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amity (Jacksonville, FL) in April 2012.

Interview

I attended the group interview in Florida. I had to demonstrate a lesson with the other candidates and also listen to the recruiters speak about Amity and living in Japan.

I was accepted for the personal interview the next day. I met with the other recruiter who had not watched my group lesson. She gave me ten minutes to form a lesson plan, and she stepped out of the room to give me privacy. When she returned, I demonstrated my lesson with her acting as a student.

She asked me questions about why I was interested in teaching in Japan, what value my experiences could bring to Amity, whether I accepted wearing a suit to work, what interested me the most about Japan and teaching, etc.

My recruiter was distant and intimidating at first, but as we warmed up to each other during the interview, I felt more at ease. She even kept me 45 minutes longer!

Interview Questions

• May I ask why you are not wearing a suit today?   2 Answers

Negotiation

There is no negotiation in regards to salary, but you are able to request a region in Japan that interests you. Tokyo is very difficult to attain, but I didn't want to live there anyway. I live in Tottori-city, which is a small suburban community on the Sea of Japan.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amity (Boston, MA) in February 2012.

Interview

It was a long time ago, but we took an English test, watched some videos, had group trial lesson sessions. Then we got a callback and had the most bizarre private trial lesson - the interviewer pretended to be a Japanese child.

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amity (Honolulu, HI) in May 2010.

Interview

First step is a group interview/introduction session to the company. You're told about the company, take an easy grammar test, and watch a video about live in Japan. You conduct a prepared lesson for your interview group - lesson doesn't have to be amazing, you just need to demonstrate you can plan one and execute it. Second step is 1-1 interview, you're asked more about why you want the job and asked to make a lesson on the spot. Again, just demonstrate you can make a lesson that follows their formula and you'll be fine. If you're offered a job they'll ask if you want to be placed in a certain area and you can wait for an opening if you're picky (I personally was allowed to wait 8 months for a Tokyo spot to open). The company will handle your visa processing, though you may need to appear in person at a consulate.

Interview Questions

• How the word "alot" is misspelled.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amity in May 2014.

Interview

all online: Information session that explained details of the job, initial interview that further explained the job and many questions, final interview very short demo lesson and more questions.