Amtrak Electrician Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amtrak Electrician Interview Questions

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Island City, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amtrak (Long Island City, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied for various Electrician positions online with Amtrak over a course of (3) months. Was emailed to come in for orientation and interview on the same day. There were 8 electricians in total. 5 of the electricians were very young and had minimal experience. We were first given a mechanical aptitude test, followed by an electrical knowledge test which consisted of a few schematics. Afterwards was an interview which consisted of two people asking questions.

Interview Questions

• Briefly describe a time when you observed someone working unsafe, and what did you do about it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amtrak

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amtrak (New Haven, CT) in December 2013.

Interview

I applied online using the Amtrak Careers web site. I was contacted about two weeks later to schedule a skills test and group informational interview. I took the skills test, which apparently almost everyone passed, and then scheduled a one-on-one interview for the next month. I also scheduled a physical strength test at another location.

On the day of my 1:1 interview, it snowed. The interviewer did not bother to show up, nor did anyone contact me. I showed up at the Amtrak office for the interview only to be greeted by a very confused operations person. They made several calls to find out what was happening, and eventually put me on the phone with somebody. It also turned out that the person who was interviewing me was going to be on vacation for the next two weeks, and any rescheduled meeting would happen after that.

I then went back home (on still mostly unplowed streets) to contact the original HR person. I was told that someone had called me (they didn't, I have caller ID) and sent an email (again no, not even in the spam folder). I was also told that we would be rescheduling. I was not contacted at all to reschedule, and my queries and reminders went unanswered until I gave up about 6 weeks later.

It was an extremely disappointing experience. I went out of my way to take the tests (one in New Haven and one in Fairfield) and made sure I showed up early for the interview even though it had snowed heavily. I was not given the courtesy of a cancellation call, nor was I rescheduled as promised. If the position was simply filled, a simple email, letter, or phone call indicating this would have been appreciated. As it is, the Amtrak hiring process came across as extremely unprofessional, and did not seem to be taken very seriously by the staff involved.

Interview Questions

• There were several questions about vacuum tubes on the skills test!   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amtrak (New York, NY) in August 2011.

Interview

Interview was good. Nice people. Ordinary electrical questions. Will train anyway. But still doesn't matter. They're quicker to hire someone in their family before you. Everyone there is related to someone there.

Interview Questions

• Questions on HVAC, AC, DC, 3 phase, trainline etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very easy. Was offered the job within days.

Anonymous Employee in Long Island City, NY

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amtrak (Long Island City, NY) in June 2008.

Interview

Applied online, got a response a few weeks later to come in and take a written test, the test was a little difficult but if you study before u can pass. then told to call a number in a few days to find out if i passed . i called and got a recording that i passed and was told to call another number to set up appointment for interview, then was given a date and went in for a panel interview with a representative of the HR department and a supervisor of the mechanical department. final determination of hiring status was made a few days later and confrmed with a phone call from someone from HR department. the whole process took about a month and a half.

Interview Questions

• average questions about your backgrond   3 Answers