Analysis Group Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Analysis Group Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

3.5

8 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Analysis Group (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

The first stage was a very chill on campus interview (30 minutes with closest office). I had heard it was largely behavioral, but I was actually asked a case question--no calculations, but what my approach would be. I talked to my friends and most people were just asked behavioral questions. Part two was a superday with my requested office. I had about 6 30 minute interviews with different people, about 50-50 split between quantitative/case and fit/behavioral, as well as lunch. Everyone in the office was incredibly nice. I thought I had not done well on the case, but I heard back within the week that I had received the offer. I think they may weigh the fit questions more heavily.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a research project you worked on. Questions about working on teams, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Analysis Group (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

First round of one 30 mins on campus interview, followed by a super day at the requested office. I met with 6 people on super day. We talked about my previous projects with quantitative experience, data analysis, team work experience, how to explain concepts to people, case study discussion, etc. All the people there are very nice.

Interview Questions

• Talk about project, team-work experience and a small case study with discussion   Answer Question

Associate (Or Senior Associate) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Analysis Group (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Applied through the job market for economists but my online application did not go through. Contacted recruiter but was already too late for the job market conference. She advised me to resubmit for later consideration. Received a phone call 4 days after the conference to arrange a phone screening interview another four days later. It was a 30 minutes screen where I told them about my research. Two days later I received an invitation for a fly-out to the San Francisco and Menlo Park offices (2 consecutive days). The logistics were perfectly taken care of - I had car service starting from my house in Boston to everywhere, stayed at a beautiful boutique hotel in Menlo Park for 2 days. I wasn't so excited about the interviews although I loved some of the people. The vibe in the Menlo Park environment was much better. People in SF seemed too stressed out and disinterested (but then again they do mostly financial cases whereas my work is mostly healthcare-related).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Analysis Group (San Francisco, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

There was a 60 minute first round interview over the phone. The first round interview was led by 2 analysts that worked in the SF office for the last 2 years. The call started with a brief description of my resume then the interviewers drilled down into past experiences. They asked questions pertaining to specific points in my resume to make sure that I knew about everything that presented on my resume. They grilled me on my excel skills to explain my knowledge of specific functions that I mentioned in my resume. I proceeded to final interview and was flown up to SF (black car service included) to interview for a position in their SF/MP office. The joint interview introduced me to professionals from both the Menlo Park and SF office. The Super Day consisted of 5 interviews and 1 excel case study, each 30 minutes timed. In the interviews, I met with directors and 1 VP. The excel case study is a very basic model and requires no studying. It felt like a homework assignment you would have in a 300 level finance course. The interviewers tended to circle around questions relating to prior research. I found it pretty difficult because my experience was based in finance/business internships. They grilled me on econometrics terms that stem from running linear regressions. I felt like I was presenting my prior research to a panel of scientists throughout the interviews. AG is heavy on quantitative research so the more you prepare research examples for interview questions, the better you will do. After all the interviews, I went out to a private lunch with 2 analyst in an non-interview setting.

Interview Questions

• How does a Vlookup statement work? Can you explain a scenario when you would use it?
      What is a Durbin–Watson statistic? How does it work?
      Success is not always about raw intelligence, tell me about a time when you demonstrated pure grit?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Analysis Group (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

2 rounds: first round on-campus (30 minutes); second round in-office (half day)
    Mix of behavioral and technical questions: past research projects, data/statistical package experience, working in teams, problem-solving skills
    2nd round consisted of interviews with associates/managers, and lunch with analysts
    There was also a short "case study" where you work through an Excel file independently and then discuss it (much less formal/structured than management consulting case interviews)

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Analysis Group (Menlo Park, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

30 minute initial interview. Flown out to Menlo Park, CA, office for second round of interview. Lasted 3-5 hours consisting of mostly 30 min interviews with various managers/VPs. Interview also included a 30-min excel test (Don't think it factored much into their decision, plus it was very simple) and one or two case interviews.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

Interview

Final day is a long day- 5 interviews and lunch. All of the interviewers are super nice but they know how to ask tough questions. You need to be ready to discuss your economic research in fine detail. Know specifically how you have 1) worked with the data that you analyzed i.e scatterplots, descriptive statistics, line graphs and what that meant and 2) know all the details of your project. They will ask you questions that you might have never though of before.

To prepare, I went back over the data sets of the projects that I knew I was going to discuss with them. That was probably the best preparation I did. Also, be able to answer any sort of hypothetical scenarios that they throw at you such as: we're doing this anti trust case- what do you think? what should we look at?

Interview Questions

• 1) How would you price the ability to teleport?
      2) They sat me down in front of an excel spreadsheet and there was an hour of questions about the data that I looked at. You don't need to do anything fancy but you do need to know how basic formulas are made. Mostly, they want to see you work with actual data in front of them.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None! Offer was tremendous.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Analysis Group (San Francisco, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

The interview process was somewhat lengthy. I submitted my resume and cover letter and received a phone call requesting a phone interview about 5 weeks later. From there, they scheduled an in-person interview shortly thereafter. While the job was in San Francisco, I was in Los Angeles at the time so the firm paid my way to San Francisco including nice car service from SFO. The employees seemed happy with their jobs and I was overall impressed with the caliber of staffing in the office.

Interview Questions

• Out of the box, creative thinking question that asked how you would price an intangible good: how would you price teleportation?   Answer Question