Ancestry Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 15, 2017

2.6

Senior Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Ancestry (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Ancestry has recently implemented a new company-wide rule that requires all employees to have a degree, even if that degree has nothing to do with the job at hand. The recruiter said they've even laid off employees who didn't have degrees. I don't have a degree, but the recruiter didn't notice that until the phone screen.

Opinion: requiring that employees have *any* degree to work there is dumb.

Laboratory Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ancestry (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

A very fast moving process. I had 2 phone interviews in less than a week. HR was very good at passing information from our screen on to the hiring manager so that the questions were not repeated.

Interview Questions

• You do know that the position is in Utah   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Ancestry (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied on their website and received an email about 3-4 days later setting up an initial phone call with a recruiter. The call went well and I was immediately moved on to a second call with the hiring manager. That call also went well and I was told before the call ended that I would hear word about next steps within the next week. 10 days went by and no word. I sent a followup email to the recruiter asking for clarification on what was happening on their end. No response. I followed up with the hiring manager via email a few days later. Also no response. It's not been about 4 weeks and I've since gotten another job at another company, but it was one of the least professional experiences I've had.
    They literally stopped responding to emails with no explanation. Aboslutely unprofessional, disorganized and frankly, quite shocking. There are dozens of companies in SF and the Bay Area, Ancestry is not in a position to simply stop responding to candidates, whether they are a fit for the role or not. That is not how you get good talent in the door.

Interview Questions

• They have several different products in addition to their geneology reports. The hiring manager basically asked "How should we make money?".   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ancestry (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied through smartrecruiters and received an invitation for an on site interview maybe a week later. The interview went okay but I suspect they were uninterested to begin with because two of the four people who were supposed to be at the panel interview didn't show up. Basic string manipulation questions that I could have answered more confidently but the interviewers were friendly. They didn't ask any behavioral questions. They never contacted me afterward even just to email a simple rejection.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ancestry (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The hiring manager had a phone interview with me. She ask me to introduce myself and told her about the project. And she also asked me some problem that related in practical.

Senior User Experience Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Ancestry (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online to an open role with AncestryDNA in Jan 2017. About two weeks went by and I received an email from a recruiter. They wanted to schedule a 30min phone screen with a hiring manager. We scheduled a phone conversation for a few days later (mid-Feb by this point). The phone call started about 10 mins late, but no big deal. Things happen. We went on to have a great conversation. The work sounded quite interesting. They let me know they would be in contact to discuss next steps. I got off the phone feeling pretty great about my chances.

Our phone call was mid-week. By mid-week the next week I had not heard anything so I emailed the recruiter. They apologized for the delay, but told me they'd not received any feedback from the phone interview. No worries. Not your fault. After 4 days went by and still no update, I reached out again. Have you heard any feedback yet? Am I still under consideration? This time no response at all. Yesterday I played email roulette and sent an email to what I hoped was the right person's email address. Basically, hey I haven't heard from anyone I've spoken to. What's going on?

Today I got a response to my email saying they "really liked my experience," but they ended up going with another candidate "who had more relevant experience." And you know what? That's absolutely fine. You like another candidate better, you should hire that person. However I've never experienced a hiring process handled so poorly. If you don't want to hire someone, fine let them know so they can scratch you off and keep it moving. Don't leave one person hanging while you wait to see if someone else signs your offer letter. It's bad form and people deserve to be treated with more respect.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. Pretty standard, "Tell me about yourself" type stuff.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ancestry (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

An absolute disgustingly disorganized company and group of people who disrespect the time and value of their candidates. After putting in the time and effort in to what was a very straightforward interview they don't even bother to follow up. A simple phone call or e-mail would be very helpful, let alone a simple professional act after a candidate gives their time. The culture in this company is horrendous, people operate like drones. The people at the interview were nothing but corporate drones who provide no value but expect a paycheck. Despicable company at best.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Ancestry (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

HR phone screen 1 day after online application, then few days later hiring manager phone screen, 2 onsite interviews meet with the team. Smart and nice people, the hiring process was very professional, I was able to get timely update and feedback. This was probably the best interview process that I've gone through.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Ancestry (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online using smart recruiters and a recruiter scheduled for a telephonic screen. Had a brief call on my previous work experience and technical skills. She sent an online coding and asked me to complete within two days. Question was pretty simple and I was able to finish it well before time. However no one contacted me or updated me regarding the status. Tried emailing and called recruiter, but no luck. I guess it is a basic courtesy for a company/recruiter to update the results to the candidates, which was lacking. Disappointed !

Interview Questions

• Basic string question with sub questions.
      1. Read a file and count the words. had given how the output should be.
      2. Get longest word which had same first and last letter from the words which was read from file.
      1 Answer

Technical Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ancestry (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online and Initially had a phone interview with the recruiting manager basically to check the candidate is good with whatever written in the resume. Then had a call with the hiring manager. The interview was good, basic questions then carried on with the previous experience and relevance to the current role. No rigid structure was there in the interview which made the conversation very smooth.

Interview Questions

• How do you see yourself fit in this role having an entrepreneurship experience   Answer Question