AppFolio Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 25, 2017

2.7

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at AppFolio (New York, NY).

Interview

I submitted an application for the role. One of their coordinators on the team reached out to try to schedule an interview. Unfortunately the email ended up in a junk mail folder and before I realized it, they rejected me in their system. I emailed back apologizing and asking to see if we can still connect. No response.

It looks like a great company to be a part of, but I ended up joining another great company instead. I'd still potentially be interested down the road if another opportunity opens up, but they should consider checking how some of their email communications may end up in someone's junk mail folder and reconsider.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AppFolio in April 2017.

Interview

I applied twice at AppFolio because I read the good reviews about the company. I received an email the first time and my application was rejected. The second time I applied because they have plenty of openings and I received an email first to set up a phone interview and then a phone call with the recruiter very nice and profesional. He set up a phone call with the manger and he called me 24 hours later "Very unprofessional" . He was rude and short and he just talked about himself and he didn't care about me. I haven't received any phone call or email after. Is he a customer service manager? Poor clients very disappointed. Give people te opportunity to work and don't discriminate.
     The interview was in Santa Barbara ,CA

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the product?   1 Answer

Director, Stratgic Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Santa Barbara, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Horrible experience. Had two phone interviews then was asked to come to Santa Barbara to meet with 6 people (3 hours total). I booked rooms and took days off to go there. When I got there I had my first interview, then was told during my second one that the rest of the team was not available anymore and we would do virtual interviews in the coming weeks. I waited about 10 days to hear back and was then told the job requirements had changed and that I would not be interviewed. What a giant waste of time...never again!

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at AppFolio.

Interview

Had a phone call with the recruiter then the VP of Product. After some non-technical questions, it was discovered that they were looking for a Visual Designer, not a UX designer. The company doesn't seem to know the difference. Waste of time.

Interview Questions

• What about the job description excited you?   1 Answer

Feb 24, 2017

We value your time, and I am sorry to hear that regarding the position differences - that is not our goal! We are committed to taking in this feedback and continuously improving. Thank you for ... More

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Diego, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Contacted by email for phone screening interview with a recruiter. Wasn't technical in nature and just a nice talk about the company culture and what I knew. I was set up for a phone interview with one of the QA team members and asked behavioral questions for 45 minutes. It went well and the interviewee was very friendly and relatable. Thanksgiving holiday was coming up within a week and a half, so my onsite interview was postponed 10 days. Apparently, there were too many people on paid leave. Once onsite for a 2 hour interview, I met with a Senior QA Analyst who was very professional and helpful. We talked for over a hour and it ended nicely while she had me answer a few questions and showed me a web application she wanted me to try and analyze. Next, I met with a different QA member who picked my brain on behavioral questions as if my answers weren't meeting his standards. He went over concepts related to the job and didn't ask anything very technical. I left after those 2 hours and 15 minutes since I wasn't scheduled to meet with the Director.

I thought this would be the end of the process, but I suddenly get another email within a week asking me to meet with a different Director. I believe he calls the shots since I thoroughly thought I spent a good amount of time with other team members and it went well. He ends up asking me things from 3 years ago on my resume about a school project and I do my best to explain since he didn't know too much either. The next question was also had me try and write a function on the whiteboard. It was fair, and at first I blanked, but was just confused on what the output would need to look like. I explained my logic of how I would approach it, but since I haven't been practicing programming lately in my courses I had a hard time. He ended up walking through it with me and that pretty much wrapped up the interview with some questions I asked him at the end. Overall, it was friendly but time consuming and unexpected to be asked more typical software engineering questions for an entry level QA position. The amount of time they put into me was immense and I felt like they were unprepared. The first onsite interview had one of the interviewees reading off a document of questions to ask me. They had to postpone my interview process. Lastly, I was told an onsite interview would be the last round, but was invited again on short notice. It's sad because I was genuinely interested in devoting a lot to Appfolio and everything was going smoothly until the last interview, only to be told they are looking for people with more work experience. They knew from the beginning I was a upcoming new grad this month and have access to my resume with only course projects. So, that leaves the question of why I even got so far into the interview process if that was the only feedback I got.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that prints out Folders and Documents in order with subsequent spaces each time you go deeper into a Folder. You have two classes: Folder and Doc both containing strings to their names. In the Folder class you have two arrays defined that will contain folders and docs respectively. e.g. Folder1(root) at first level. Doc1, Doc2, Folder2, Folder 3 at second level. And Folder2 has two children Doc 3 and Doc 4. Output should be similar to

Folder1
         Doc 4
       Folder 3
      1 Answer

Feb 24, 2017

We value your feedback and time - thank you for sharing both with us. We are working with our team to use your feedback to continuously improve our interview experience. We wish you the best in your ... More

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Santa Barbara, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Initial phone screen, followed by a technical interview via GoToMeeting and Google Docs. After the first technical interview, I got an email saying they would not be moving forward with my application. Everyone was relatively quick to respond and nice during the process.

Interview Questions

• Implement a hash table.
      Describe what happens when you click on a link from a Google search.
      What is an outer join?
      Answer Question

Feb 24, 2017

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We hope to cross paths in the future should there be an opportunity that may be a fit. Best of luck to you.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio.

Interview

1st phone screen with hiring manager, then two phone interviews with senior engineers . Then skype interview with director of engineering. All 1 hour each. They take a lot of time to respond. took 2 weeks to respond between interviews. Interviewers very friendly

Interview Questions

• 1. function to validate sudoku
      2. print each level of tree on a new line
      3. check if subtree is present in bigger tree
      4. what happens when you enter a website name and press enter
      Answer Question

Nov 29, 2016 – Manager, Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us and share your feedback. We are working to improve our interview response times and your insight is valuable. We wish you the best in your job ... More

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Santa Barbara, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

The process took about 3 weeks. I had a phone call with the recruiter, then the hiring manager, then was brought on site.

The most disappointing part of the process was how they responded with a "no." It was a form letter with no personal touch. "We don't have an open opportunity for you." The in-house recruiter I was communicating with was just very cold, not much personality.

They then proceeded to provide no feedback, which means it was a huge waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a confrontation with an engineer and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Nov 29, 2016 – Manager, Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us and share your feedback. We are working to make the interview experience and response better following up on interviews. We wish you the best in ... More

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Diego, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Contacted by the recruiter promptly after submitting application. This was for the MyCase team. I was asked about salary requirements and then scheduled for a phone interview which was technical in nature. It went smoothly and then I got the chance for an onsite interview with two of the senior engineers on the team who picked my brain on key technologies on my resume and also a technical design question. This also included a tour of the facility. Finally, I was selected to interview the rest of the team which included a principal software engineer and two senior engineers. This included a lunch, but all three asked in-depth technical questions in design as well as algorithm/data structures. A lot of chances to ask questions, and the process was very friendly the entire time. They really cared to hire the smartest and best engineers out there but they also care for their well being too. Unfortunately, no offer but the recruiter was friendly in offering constructive feedback.

Interview Questions

AppFolio Response

Nov 29, 2016 – Manager, Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us and share your feedback. We are glad to hear that your interview experience with us was positive. We wish you the best in your job search and hope ... More

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AppFolio (Dallas, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

Submitted app, phone screen, scheduled for in person interview. Showed up to their Richardson office and every one was in college apparel as I guess it was college day? Sat down in my interview and was excited because it was suppose to be 2 people interviewing, I really like group interview b/c it's more fair. You might not click with one interviewer or they may not see how your skills carry like someone else will. Well anyways my interviewer was some dry guy that got head hunted to work there and was pretty proud of it. They have a super start up atmosphere and I know in those places how you mesh and interact with teammates matters almost as much as the sales you bring in. So I tried to show more of my personality and I guess that was a mistake. Only thing I was truly bitter was that I emailed the interviewer for a critique and never got anything back. He had me email him answers to these stupid questions but yet I can't even get a reply?

Interview Questions

• What kind of animal would you be?   1 Answer

Feb 24, 2017

Thank you for sharing this review. Our goal is to always provide good response time and communication and I'm sorry that this didn't happen. We will use your valuable feedback to make our hiring ... More