AppFolio Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 14, 2017

2.8

Director, Stratgic Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Santa Barbara, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Horrible experience. Had two phone interviews then was asked to come to Santa Barbara to meet with 6 people (3 hours total). I booked rooms and took days off to go there. When I got there I had my first interview, then was told during my second one that the rest of the team was not available anymore and we would do virtual interviews in the coming weeks. I waited about 10 days to hear back and was then told the job requirements had changed and that I would not be interviewed. What a giant waste of time...never again!

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at AppFolio (New York, NY).

Interview

I submitted an application for the role. One of their coordinators on the team reached out to try to schedule an interview. Unfortunately the email ended up in a junk mail folder and before I realized it, they rejected me in their system. I emailed back apologizing and asking to see if we can still connect. No response.

It looks like a great company to be a part of, but I ended up joining another great company instead. I'd still potentially be interested down the road if another opportunity opens up, but they should consider checking how some of their email communications may end up in someone's junk mail folder and reconsider.

Data Quality Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at AppFolio (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I went through a phone screening, an in-person interview, video interview, and final interview. The interview process was quite simple. All 3 interviewers were very friendly, welcoming, and professional. I really wanted to work for Appfolio and ecstatically accepted the offered position. However, after careful consideration and much thought, I turned down what I initially accepted. I'm extremely grateful they gave me the opportunity to work there and would gladly apply again!!

Interview Questions

AppFolio Response

Mar 27, 2017

We are so pleased to hear that you had a positive experience - thank you for sharing and welcome aboard to the AppFolio team!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goleta, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Goleta, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Phone interview was a general "get to know you" one. The onsite was fair, with the basics of Data Structures and Algorithms. Studying is a must as well as just practicing coding under pressure. The interviewers were really nice and helpful

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at AppFolio.

Interview

The interview process was great. Easy to speak to, and were very intriguing, however it is very underpaid in my opinion. The atmosphere of the work place is great. everyone seemed very down to earth.

Low pay

Feb 24, 2017

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us - we are very pleased that you enjoyed the environment here and got a good vibe. We hope to cross paths in the future should there be an ... More

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AppFolio (Dallas, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

Submitted app, phone screen, scheduled for in person interview. Showed up to their Richardson office and every one was in college apparel as I guess it was college day? Sat down in my interview and was excited because it was suppose to be 2 people interviewing, I really like group interview b/c it's more fair. You might not click with one interviewer or they may not see how your skills carry like someone else will. Well anyways my interviewer was some dry guy that got head hunted to work there and was pretty proud of it. They have a super start up atmosphere and I know in those places how you mesh and interact with teammates matters almost as much as the sales you bring in. So I tried to show more of my personality and I guess that was a mistake. Only thing I was truly bitter was that I emailed the interviewer for a critique and never got anything back. He had me email him answers to these stupid questions but yet I can't even get a reply?

Interview Questions

• What kind of animal would you be?   1 Answer

Feb 24, 2017

Thank you for sharing this review. Our goal is to always provide good response time and communication and I'm sorry that this didn't happen. We will use your valuable feedback to make our hiring ... More

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at AppFolio.

Interview

Had a phone call with the recruiter then the VP of Product. After some non-technical questions, it was discovered that they were looking for a Visual Designer, not a UX designer. The company doesn't seem to know the difference. Waste of time.

Interview Questions

• What about the job description excited you?   1 Answer

Feb 24, 2017

We value your time, and I am sorry to hear that regarding the position differences - that is not our goal! We are committed to taking in this feedback and continuously improving. Thank you for ... More

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio in March 2016.

Interview

Initial phone screen to get a general sense of you as well as to confirm you researched the company / position. Common interview questions with friendly manager of team interviewing for. Interviewed with additional manager after. Then proceeded to interview with two additional superiors of the initial manager.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would be a good fit for this position?   Answer Question

Feb 24, 2017

We are happy that you are happy and we couldn't agree more with the friendliness of the managers! Welcome to AppFolio and we wish you continued success.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Diego, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I went to an on-campus event and talked to the recruiter. I was told to also apply online. The nice ting about the event is, they actually showed you how the latest technology is used in the industry. For my case, it was an introduction to ReactJS. Really, this event made it stand out from other tech companies, even ones that are larger and more famous.

About three weeks later, I received an email saying that they want to schedule a phone interview with the recruiter. I was really impressed during the event so I really wanted to intern at AppFolio. The first phone interview went well, then we scheduled a time for technical phone interview.

For the technical phone interview, it was an algorithm question, wrote it on an online coding platform (I forgot the name). The problem was relatively easy (using HashMap and basic array operations, I am not gonna share the problem because if you are a qualifying computer science student you should be able to solve it without seeing it ahead of time) and I guess the focus is more about whether you are able to solve a real world problem, and steps you took to solve it (how your thought process is), than whether you had seen this question and solve it quickly.

A few days later, I received an email from the recruiter inviting me for an onsite interview at the San Diego office. The onsite interview consisted of walking around the company and two technical interviews, both of them require white-boarding. For the first interview, the interviewers were two senior engineers. The question is not too hard nor too easy, if you have studied data structure and algorithm throughly, it shouldn't be challenging. During the interview, I found that the interviewer and I actually shared many interests in technology. So I got excited and talked a lot. I think both the interviewers and me had a good time.

The next interview was with the director. He was a nice person and we solved an algorithm problem together. Again, I don't think it's necessary to show you the problem because if you are a qualifying CS student you should be able to solve it without much challenging. I solved the problem quickly but got stuck at the final improvements. I was thinking about the improvements that could improve the big O, but turns out the optimization doesn't affect the big O. I finally solved it. Then I asked a lot of questions regarding how they pick technologies for the project.

The overall process is very positive, interesting people and interesting technologies. I think it's the best interview process I ever had.

Interview Questions

• A question involves hash table and basic array operations.
      A question involves quick select.
      A question involves set operations.
      Answer Question

Feb 24, 2017

Dear Happy Employee, We are so thrilled to hear this - these types of reviews keep us smiling. Welcome to the AppFolio team!

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio.

Interview

I spoke to all three directors of value-added services, as well as the VP of value added services for the company. One of the directors was my potential manager. I also met a few of the team members that I would be working with. The whole thing took about an hour.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of a time you made a big positive impact?   Answer Question

Feb 24, 2017

We are so pleased to hear this - thank you for sharing and welcome aboard to the AppFolio team!