AppFolio Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

AppFolio Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at AppFolio

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Diego, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

First spent 30 minutes with an internal recruiter. He subsequently set me up with an on-site interview the hiring manager in the San Diego office. It was non-technical in nature and lasted just over an hour. Two weeks later I came back for a technical on-site, which went for about 3.5 hours.

First portion was with a relatively sr. developer creating a sudoku solution checker. That went well enough.

Second portion was with a jr. developer who was a sub for another sr. developer who couldn't make it. It was just a discussion of my experience.

Third portion was with the hiring manager. I was asked to create a roman numeral convertor. I had built one for an interview 6 months earlier, mentioned that I had, but he asked me to continue. Unfortunately while I made it much of the way through, I was having some trouble remembering the exact solution. He gave me some hints at an alternate approach but at the same time was showing some frustration -- got the feeling it was implied I had lied about solving this before just to get out of the exercise. I became quite flustered, even said it out loud, so he elected to stop the exercise so we could discuss the position further. Then I was asked what I thought of the other engineers who interviewed me earlier. I answered. He asked again in a slightly different manner, seemingly unsatisfied with my answer. And this manner of passive aggressiveness continued until I left about 15 minutes later.

I knew the interview had not gone well, but I tried to be courteous and professional as I was walked out. The manager mentioned they would be contacting me within a few days.

6 weeks later I received an automated response from the "AppFolio Recruitment Team" which says:

"Thank you for giving us the opportunity to consider you for the Sr. Software Engineer. We have reviewed your background and qualifications and find that we do not have an appropriate position for you at this time. We appreciate your interest and wish you success in your job search."

Absolutely classless response from this company. I gave up 6 hours of my time and not even the internal recruiter could bother to personally contact me.

Interview Questions

AppFolio Response

Nov 29, 2016 – Manager, Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us and share your feedback. We are working with our team to use your feedback to make the interview experience better and response following up on... More

Other Interview Reviews for AppFolio

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Diego, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Contacted by the recruiter promptly after submitting application. This was for the MyCase team. I was asked about salary requirements and then scheduled for a phone interview which was technical in nature. It went smoothly and then I got the chance for an onsite interview with two of the senior engineers on the team who picked my brain on key technologies on my resume and also a technical design question. This also included a tour of the facility. Finally, I was selected to interview the rest of the team which included a principal software engineer and two senior engineers. This included a lunch, but all three asked in-depth technical questions in design as well as algorithm/data structures. A lot of chances to ask questions, and the process was very friendly the entire time. They really cared to hire the smartest and best engineers out there but they also care for their well being too. Unfortunately, no offer but the recruiter was friendly in offering constructive feedback.

Interview Questions

AppFolio Response

Nov 29, 2016 – Manager, Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us and share your feedback. We are glad to hear that your interview experience with us was positive. We wish you the best in your job search and hope... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Santa Barbara, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

They called me in for two interviews which went well - one whiteboarding and one coding one on the computer. Looks like first interviewer was looking for me to code in certain way (for vs while loop).

I thought I did great, but the recruiter never got back to me for more than a week. After I followed up, I heard that they moved on with other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm to find out trailing zeros in fib(n)?   Answer Question
    • Solve for random password generator with different criteria   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Diego, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me and talked about the Engineering positions at AppFolio. I accepted to talk to their Director. The first round was a Technical Phone Screen. Then I had 3 onsite 1:1 interviews, then another onsite technical interview along with a team lunch. The final interview was with the VP of Engineering.
    Finally they made me an offer but it was less than what I make in my current job, so declined it.

Interview Questions

• Design the database schema for an application similar to Google Calendar.   Answer Question