AppFolio Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

AppFolio Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at AppFolio

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at AppFolio (Santa Barbara, CA) in November 2007.

Interview

The first interview was with the CTO, who described the general work to be done, with some talks about my background in software. The next was with a remote engineer over the phone, who asked more technical questions about my history and experience with Ruby on Rails and programming in general. After that, a one-on-one with their lead engineer who presented several programming challenges. A less formal chat with the president and CEO, then a follow-up with the CTO again.

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving your current job, when you've only been there for so little time?   1 Answer
  • How would you go about designing a text editor dialog that would let you hop around files easily by just typing parts of their name?   1 Answer
  • How long do you think you would work for this company?   1 Answer

Didn't feel I fit with the company culture.

Other Interview Reviews for AppFolio

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Diego, CA) in July 2019.

Interview

Initially a 30 minutes HR phone screen. Then 1 hour technical phone interview with Senior Engineer. After that 3 hours in person interviews with 2 Senior Engineers and Director.

Interview Questions

• Implement Binary Search   Answer Question
    • Implement Stack using Array/LinkedList   Answer Question
    • Given an array [1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 5] and number x, rotate the array such that all occurrences of x are shifted at the end. For example, x = 3, then output should be [1, 2, 4, 5, 3, 3]   Answer Question
    • Given an array [1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5], find sum such that two consecutive elements are same. For example, 1 + 4 + 4 = 9 as there are two 1s and three 4s   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Jose, CA) in April 2019.

Interview

I applied for the Software Engineer position online and after a month a recruiter contacted me and scheduled a phone screen interview. This week I got the first round technical interview and it lasted for an hour

Interview Questions

AppFolio Response

Jun 10, 2019 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We hope to cross paths in the future should there be an opportunity that may be a fit. Best of luck to you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AppFolio (New York, NY).

Interview

Starts with a recruiter screen, followed by a technical phone screen or two. If you solve the problem efficiently and during your first phone screen, you move onto onsite. If you do well but not perfect on your first screen, you're given a second chance. I unfortunately choked on my second phone screen but the process was fast and smooth. The recruiter I spoke with and the engineer I had my first phone screen with were awesome!

Interview Questions

• algorithm questions. my particular questions dealt with stacks and binary search   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Santa Barbara, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

It is quite a standard interview process. It emphasizes a lot on the breadth rather than the depth of knowledge in CS. All coding questions are reasonable and fair. From HR to CEO, all people there are very helpful and friendly. Their products are also very promising and starting to get a lot of revenue.

Interview Questions

• Various types of sorting algorithms and their complexity. Process of a URL being entered to a page rendered to users.   Answer Question

This is my first offer and given the fact that this is a startup company and the pay is a bit below average.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at AppFolio (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

One on site screening in Richardson and then a Skype video interview with collabedit

Interview Questions

• Division of a map getting results from an area over a map from a service. How would you make it faster   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

on campus recruiting but still need to apply online. They give me a phone interview but later they don't want to forward the interview.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AppFolio (Santa Barbara, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Overall exp was good .initially had 2 phone interviews and 2 skype interviews .then I was asked visit SB office and the interviewers were friendly and lunch was provided .

Interview Questions

• 2 skype interviews and 4 rounds of onsite interviews .Interview was general programming and some questions to test your aptitude .   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio in October 2014.

Interview

Applied online for the Software Engineer Intern position and within approximately a week I had a initial phone screen with a member of the HR team. She was very kind and after that she set me up with a one hour technical phone interview with a senior member of the engineering team. The technical phone interview lasted about 40 minutes and covered questions on my background as well as questions relating to sorting, data management, and object-oriented programming. I was rejected at the end of the technical interview, but the interviewer was very nice about it.

Interview Questions

• Related to sorting an array based on given specifications without creating any new data structures.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

One phone interview with HR about behavior questions, and other 3-turn interviews with engineer, leader engineer and CTO. All the questions are not so difficult, but tricky. Just to make sure your codes are clean enough without bugs!

Interview Questions

AppFolio Response

Mar 25, 2019

Thank you for the feedback! Glad to hear your experience went well with the team. Definetly stay in touch with AppFolio as we are growing! We'd love to consider you for any future opportunities.