AppFolio Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

AppFolio Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 9, 2017

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AppFolio.

Interview

Initial phone screening that talked about my resume, past experiences and projects. Talked about what the job role would be. Phone screening went well and technical phone interview was scheduled the next week with a software developer. Talked a bit about past experiences then had me code on a shared google doc.

Interview Questions

• Given an array, how would you return the three largest elements. Then follow up with ways to optimize.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for AppFolio

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Diego, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Sent my resume in at a campus event. Got a phone call and went over my resume and general AppFolio stuff. Got an email the next week rejecting me and giving no reason why.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Diego, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I went to an on-campus event and talked to the recruiter. I was told to also apply online. The nice ting about the event is, they actually showed you how the latest technology is used in the industry. For my case, it was an introduction to ReactJS. Really, this event made it stand out from other tech companies, even ones that are larger and more famous.

About three weeks later, I received an email saying that they want to schedule a phone interview with the recruiter. I was really impressed during the event so I really wanted to intern at AppFolio. The first phone interview went well, then we scheduled a time for technical phone interview.

For the technical phone interview, it was an algorithm question, wrote it on an online coding platform (I forgot the name). The problem was relatively easy (using HashMap and basic array operations, I am not gonna share the problem because if you are a qualifying computer science student you should be able to solve it without seeing it ahead of time) and I guess the focus is more about whether you are able to solve a real world problem, and steps you took to solve it (how your thought process is), than whether you had seen this question and solve it quickly.

A few days later, I received an email from the recruiter inviting me for an onsite interview at the San Diego office. The onsite interview consisted of walking around the company and two technical interviews, both of them require white-boarding. For the first interview, the interviewers were two senior engineers. The question is not too hard nor too easy, if you have studied data structure and algorithm throughly, it shouldn't be challenging. During the interview, I found that the interviewer and I actually shared many interests in technology. So I got excited and talked a lot. I think both the interviewers and me had a good time.

The next interview was with the director. He was a nice person and we solved an algorithm problem together. Again, I don't think it's necessary to show you the problem because if you are a qualifying CS student you should be able to solve it without much challenging. I solved the problem quickly but got stuck at the final improvements. I was thinking about the improvements that could improve the big O, but turns out the optimization doesn't affect the big O. I finally solved it. Then I asked a lot of questions regarding how they pick technologies for the project.

The overall process is very positive, interesting people and interesting technologies. I think it's the best interview process I ever had.

Interview Questions

• A question involves hash table and basic array operations.
      A question involves quick select.
      A question involves set operations.

Feb 24, 2017

Dear Happy Employee, We are so thrilled to hear this - these types of reviews keep us smiling. Welcome to the AppFolio team!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Santa Barbara, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Initial phone screen, followed by a technical interview via GoToMeeting and Google Docs. After the first technical interview, I got an email saying they would not be moving forward with my application. Everyone was relatively quick to respond and nice during the process.

Interview Questions

• Implement a hash table.
      Describe what happens when you click on a link from a Google search.
      What is an outer join?

Feb 24, 2017

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We hope to cross paths in the future should there be an opportunity that may be a fit. Best of luck to you.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio.

Interview

1st phone screen with hiring manager, then two phone interviews with senior engineers . Then skype interview with director of engineering. All 1 hour each. They take a lot of time to respond. took 2 weeks to respond between interviews. Interviewers very friendly

Interview Questions

• 1. function to validate sudoku
      2. print each level of tree on a new line
      3. check if subtree is present in bigger tree
      4. what happens when you enter a website name and press enter

Nov 29, 2016 – Manager, Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us and share your feedback. We are working to improve our interview response times and your insight is valuable. We wish you the best in your job ... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at AppFolio.

Interview

2 technical phone interviews and one behavioral phone call interview with recruiter. Interviews were over Skype or phone call with various engineers at the company. Questions were related to job description and interviewers were helpful and considerate. Recruiter responded quickly. Overall experience was excellent.

Interview Questions

• Describe what happens when somebody clicks a link in a browser.   1 Answer

Nov 29, 2016 – Manager, Recruiting

Congrats to you and welcome to the team!

Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Goleta, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

1 HR phone screen, the recruiter was very nice. then 1 tech phone screen with the chief architect, who was also very nice. no algorithm question asked, but we talked about technical stuff for an hour. Two days later I was invited to onsite interview. The onsite interview had three rounds and I was asked about both algorithm data structure, and OOD.

Interview Questions

AppFolio Response

Dec 6, 2016 – Manager, Recruiting

We are excited to have you join AppFolio - welcome to the team!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goleta, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at AppFolio (Goleta, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I was initially contacted by their corporate recruiter asking if I was interested in interviewing. I first interviewed with the recruiter who conducted an hour long non-technical phone interview. I was then scheduled for an on-site 4 hour long technical interview. The interviews were conducted by two senior engineers and the director of engineering. Each interview was a typical technical question to be solved on a white board. The interview process was generally a good experience, the two senior engineering were engaging and seemed interested in the interview. However, the director of engineering spent a lot of the time texting on his phone and continually asked me to repeat myself when I asked questions or had comments. In my opinion, if he isn't interested in interviewing then he should delegate the process to someone else.

Interview Questions

• Draw an entity diagram for the game of chess. Write a function and tests for the movement of specific game pieces.   Answer Question
    • Write a function that validates a username based on various requirements such as minimum and maximum length, only specific characters, no repeating characters, etc.   Answer Question
    • Write a program that creates continuous circle and square objects and draws them on the screen with each shape is only as large as can be fit inside the previous shape drawn. The program must do this with a square that starts with a side length of 1000 units and go until the final shape area is less than 1. Each iteration must print out the shapes area and upper left starting coordinates on a graph.   Answer Question

Jun 20, 2016 – Director, HR

Thank you for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback regarding your interview experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at AppFolio in February 2016.

Interview

First talk about your experience in my resume, talk about one of my application on iOS. Ask some details about how i implement it.
    After that, give me a coding question, after finishing it, talk about a question about database. Then I ask him question about the company, and the interview ended happily.

Interview Questions

• how to reverse a linked list?   1 Answer

Dec 6, 2016 – Manager, Recruiting

We are happy to have you as a part of the AppFolio team

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio in February 2016.

Interview

First round with HR and two rounds of phone screen technical interviews. Questions related to Ruby were asked. Each one lasted for about 40 minutes. The HR was really efficient and nice.

Interview Questions

AppFolio Response

Dec 6, 2016 – Manager, Recruiting

We take pride in reviews like these. It's great to hear that we were able to provide you a great candidate experience. Thanks for taking time to write a review.