AppFolio Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

AppFolio Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at AppFolio

2.9

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Diego, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I went to an on-campus event and talked to the recruiter. I was told to also apply online. The nice ting about the event is, they actually showed you how the latest technology is used in the industry. For my case, it was an introduction to ReactJS. Really, this event made it stand out from other tech companies, even ones that are larger and more famous.

About three weeks later, I received an email saying that they want to schedule a phone interview with the recruiter. I was really impressed during the event so I really wanted to intern at AppFolio. The first phone interview went well, then we scheduled a time for technical phone interview.

For the technical phone interview, it was an algorithm question, wrote it on an online coding platform (I forgot the name). The problem was relatively easy (using HashMap and basic array operations, I am not gonna share the problem because if you are a qualifying computer science student you should be able to solve it without seeing it ahead of time) and I guess the focus is more about whether you are able to solve a real world problem, and steps you took to solve it (how your thought process is), than whether you had seen this question and solve it quickly.

A few days later, I received an email from the recruiter inviting me for an onsite interview at the San Diego office. The onsite interview consisted of walking around the company and two technical interviews, both of them require white-boarding. For the first interview, the interviewers were two senior engineers. The question is not too hard nor too easy, if you have studied data structure and algorithm throughly, it shouldn't be challenging. During the interview, I found that the interviewer and I actually shared many interests in technology. So I got excited and talked a lot. I think both the interviewers and me had a good time.

The next interview was with the director. He was a nice person and we solved an algorithm problem together. Again, I don't think it's necessary to show you the problem because if you are a qualifying CS student you should be able to solve it without much challenging. I solved the problem quickly but got stuck at the final improvements. I was thinking about the improvements that could improve the big O, but turns out the optimization doesn't affect the big O. I finally solved it. Then I asked a lot of questions regarding how they pick technologies for the project.

The overall process is very positive, interesting people and interesting technologies. I think it's the best interview process I ever had.

Interview Questions

• A question involves hash table and basic array operations.
    A question involves quick select.
    A question involves set operations.   Answer Question

Feb 24, 2017

Dear Happy Employee,
We are so thrilled to hear this - these types of reviews keep us smiling. Welcome to the AppFolio team!

Other Interview Reviews for AppFolio

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Santa Barbara, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Initial phone screen, followed by a technical interview via GoToMeeting and Google Docs. After the first technical interview, I got an email saying they would not be moving forward with my application. Everyone was relatively quick to respond and nice during the process.

Interview Questions

• Implement a hash table.
      Describe what happens when you click on a link from a Google search.
      What is an outer join?   Answer Question

Feb 24, 2017

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We hope to cross paths in the future should there be an opportunity that may be a fit. Best of luck to you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goleta, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Goleta, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Phone interview was a general "get to know you" one. The onsite was fair, with the basics of Data Structures and Algorithms. Studying is a must as well as just practicing coding under pressure. The interviewers were really nice and helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Santa Barbara, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

Standard initial screening + 4 on site interviews, each 1 hour. The coding questions are pretty easy if you've done any form of preparation. The question that got me is mentioned below. Took a very long time to get back to me; had to email to get results.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio in September 2018.

Interview

After application, it would have 3 interviews in total before the onsite. The first one is talking about your experience, like your project, and your education. The next two interviews are technical, which means you need finish programming coding with the interviewer, but not very hard. Then if it is a full time position, you will have the final technical interview - onsite.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Applied for software engineer role with Appfolio in July/August. Interview process went pretty smoothly, first interview was a coding assignment done on the phone and a shared screen text editor. Was a variation of stock price question, and questions about Appfolio and myself.

Was then invited for an onsite, thought I did well with the first two interviewers, last interviewer asked me to write a web scraper for him in 1/2 hr (no clue why he thought that was reasonable).

Interview Questions

• First interviewer - UTF-8 Encoding
      Second Interviewer - Password Validation
      Third Interview - Write a Web Scraper   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The recruiter went through my resume first and asked me to introduce some projects I put in the resume. And then the interview process is followed by behavioral question, which probably took minutes. The 30 minutes left is for coding challenge

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Santa Barbara, CA) in February 2019.

Interview

I met the recruiters at an info session at my university. I had around two rounds of remote technical interviews. After this, I was invited for an off-site interview which was also the last step of the process. The interview process was pretty smooth and quick. They were proactive with all the communication and at the end, they were kind enough to provide me with feedback from each recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Most of their questions were surrounding testing your technical and problem-solving abilities. No restriction on language.   Answer Question

Mar 25, 2019

Thank you for the feedback! We are glad to hear you had a great experience and that our team was responsive to your interview feedback and growth advice. We hope you stay in touch with AppFolio and... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Jose, CA) in April 2019.

Interview

I applied for the Software Engineer position online and after a month a recruiter contacted me and scheduled a phone screen interview. This week I got the first round technical interview and it lasted for an hour

Interview Questions

AppFolio Response

Jun 10, 2019 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio in April 2019.

Interview

Though I have 5 months of working experience, I would still be considered new grad status, as my hr told me. But my interviewer asked me a design question and asked in detail about networking, which isn't my expertise and wasn't listed in the required skill either. I made some mistakes in the coding question (which is very simple) but corrected myself immediately, but the interviewer still penalized me for it. Lastly there was a SQL question, pretty difficult one I would say. I was expecting mostly coding questions and algorithms, but none of my preparation was helpful.

Interview Questions

• Design a interview platform similar to codeinterview.io   Answer Question

Jun 10, 2019 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Our goal is to always ensure candidates feel fully prepared and I'm sorry that this didn't happen. We will use your valuable feedback to make our hiring process better going forward. We wish you the... More