AppFolio Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

AppFolio Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at AppFolio

2.9

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Diego, CA) in August 2018.

Interview

This was one of the more positive experiences I have had with interviews. I applied through a career fair and was quickly scheduled for a phone interview with an engineer. Then I visited the office for an onsite interview (3 rounds, 1 hour each). Each engineer I spoke with was very pleasant and made me feel like they were working with me rather than interviewing me. A few days later I was contacted with an offer.

Interview Questions

AppFolio Response

Mar 25, 2019

Welcome to AppFolio! I hope the journey here so far has been awesome. We wish you strong growth and happiness within the company.

Other Interview Reviews for AppFolio

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2018.

Interview

I applied by talking to one of the hiring staff who've come to our university. After 2 weeks, I recieved an invitation for a first round phone interview. After that I immediately received an invitation for the second and final round phone interview. The hiring manager has been very responsive throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Pair programming problem, find one local minimum in an array, which I and the interviewer worked together.   Answer Question

Mar 25, 2019

Glad to hear the experience was positive! Stay in touch with the company if anything changes on your end - we are rapidly growing and always searching for great talent.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Was a phone call interview for one hour. The interviewer asked about my previous experiences and projects. Was then asked a coding question- LRU cache in Ruby, although I did not mention Ruby in my resume.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at AppFolio in January 2019.

Interview

Received a referral for an HR interview with a recruiter for a SWE position. The recruiter was fantastic and I can tell the company has put a lot of work into their candidate experience.

The company scheduled me for a technical phone interview with the VP of Eng for the next day. This is where things got interesting.

I was told explicitly in the scheduling email I could interview in any language of my choosing; however, pretty much the first thing I was told in the interview was that I could not interview in JavaScript, the language I've been developing in for the past year.

Although I have decent experience developing in C++ and Python, I'm pretty rusty on these languages and wish I would have known beforehand so I could review the language semantics. Being told I could not work in JS really threw me off my game.

I was asked to implement JavaScript's setTimeout() function in any language other than JavaScript.

I struggled through it and came up with a mostly-working solution in Python with JS pseudo-code. Not my finest interview. Told in a friendly email they would not be continuing.

Overall, I think the company is excellent and worth interviewing at. A shame I whiffed it on the second phone screen!

Interview Questions

• How would you implement a feature like JavaScript's setTimeout() in any language other than JavaScript?   Answer Question

Mar 25, 2019

Thank you for the detailed feedback! We are also doing our best to improve and will make sure you are given the right information from the start. Glad to hear you think the company is great - I... More

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Informational phone call followed by phone interview followed by onsite. Phone interview was to discuss my skills/knowledge and ask a few conceptual technical questions. Onsite was lots of technical questions, behavioral questions. Definitely prepare for algorithms / data structure questions, complexity analysis, etc.

Interview Questions

AppFolio Response

Mar 25, 2019

Glad to hear the experience was positive! Our interviews are designed to be a bit challenging but fun at the same time. Stay in touch with the company as we are growing like crazy - there might be... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at AppFolio.

Interview

Appfolio held the info session on campus. I talked to the engineer and the HR scheduled the tech interview for me. The interviewer is friendly and patient. There is a coding problem and there is a OOP problem in Ruby. The interview will help you if you do not know Ruby.

Interview Questions

• What difficulty did you meet in your internship and how you deal with it?   Answer Question

Mar 25, 2019

Happy to hear it was a good, easy flowing process for you. Stay in touch with AppFolio and we would love to chat about future opportunities!

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Ann Arbor, MI) in December 2015.

Interview

1 initial behavioral interview, 2 technical interviews over Skype. Overall, the interview process was pretty easy. Interviewers were nice and problems were pretty standard. Needed to know sorting algorithms and their complexities. Be ready to think out loud and speak a lot on the spot. Both of the interviewers I had were really chill and seemed very happy to work at AppFolio. Seemed like there's a really positive culture at the company.

Interview Questions

• Explain one of the projects you've worked on and what did you learn from it?   1 Answer
    • Given a 1D array of chars that represent a 2D matrix, figure out how to flip specific bits on row x and column y.   Answer Question

Dec 6, 2016 – Manager, Recruiting

Thank you for the time you've taken to write a review and we hope you are enjoying your work at AppFolio.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Diego, CA) in July 2019.

Interview

Initially a 30 minutes HR phone screen. Then 1 hour technical phone interview with Senior Engineer. After that 3 hours in person interviews with 2 Senior Engineers and Director.

Interview Questions

• Implement Binary Search   Answer Question
    • Implement Stack using Array/LinkedList   Answer Question
    • Given an array [1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 5] and number x, rotate the array such that all occurrences of x are shifted at the end. For example, x = 3, then output should be [1, 2, 4, 5, 3, 3]   Answer Question
    • Given an array [1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5], find sum such that two consecutive elements are same. For example, 1 + 4 + 4 = 9 as there are two 1s and three 4s   Answer Question

Sep 13, 2019 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

We are so pleased to hear this - thank you for sharing and welcome aboard to the AppFolio team!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AppFolio.

Interview

The interview is conducted for an hour with a senior software engineer. The whole process is positive. The interviewer is kind to provide hints and find the answer together. Also, the hr give the feedback quickly. I received the email just 10 minutes after the interview.

Interview Questions

• How to implement the sign up form which you get from the UI team? What do you need to clarify?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AppFolio (New York, NY).

Interview

Starts with a recruiter screen, followed by a technical phone screen or two. If you solve the problem efficiently and during your first phone screen, you move onto onsite. If you do well but not perfect on your first screen, you're given a second chance. I unfortunately choked on my second phone screen but the process was fast and smooth. The recruiter I spoke with and the engineer I had my first phone screen with were awesome!

Interview Questions

• algorithm questions. my particular questions dealt with stacks and binary search   Answer Question

Sep 13, 2019 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We hope to cross paths in the future should there be an opportunity that may be a fit. Best of luck to you.