AppFolio Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

AppFolio Software Engineering Interview Questions

Interviews at AppFolio

2.9

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Diego, CA) in July 2019.

Interview

Initially a 30 minutes HR phone screen. Then 1 hour technical phone interview with Senior Engineer. After that 3 hours in person interviews with 2 Senior Engineers and Director.

Interview Questions

• Implement Binary Search   Answer Question
  • Implement Stack using Array/LinkedList   Answer Question
  • Given an array [1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 5] and number x, rotate the array such that all occurrences of x are shifted at the end. For example, x = 3, then output should be [1, 2, 4, 5, 3, 3]   Answer Question
  • Given an array [1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5], find sum such that two consecutive elements are same. For example, 1 + 4 + 4 = 9 as there are two 1s and three 4s   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for AppFolio

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at AppFolio (Santa Barbara, CA) in November 2007.

Interview

The first interview was with the CTO, who described the general work to be done, with some talks about my background in software. The next was with a remote engineer over the phone, who asked more technical questions about my history and experience with Ruby on Rails and programming in general. After that, a one-on-one with their lead engineer who presented several programming challenges. A less formal chat with the president and CEO, then a follow-up with the CTO again.

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving your current job, when you've only been there for so little time?   1 Answer
    • How would you go about designing a text editor dialog that would let you hop around files easily by just typing parts of their name?   1 Answer
    • How long do you think you would work for this company?   1 Answer

Didn't feel I fit with the company culture.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AppFolio (New York, NY).

Interview

Starts with a recruiter screen, followed by a technical phone screen or two. If you solve the problem efficiently and during your first phone screen, you move onto onsite. If you do well but not perfect on your first screen, you're given a second chance. I unfortunately choked on my second phone screen but the process was fast and smooth. The recruiter I spoke with and the engineer I had my first phone screen with were awesome!

Interview Questions

• algorithm questions. my particular questions dealt with stacks and binary search   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Santa Barbara, CA) in February 2019.

Interview

I met the recruiters at an info session at my university. I had around two rounds of remote technical interviews. After this, I was invited for an off-site interview which was also the last step of the process. The interview process was pretty smooth and quick. They were proactive with all the communication and at the end, they were kind enough to provide me with feedback from each recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Most of their questions were surrounding testing your technical and problem-solving abilities. No restriction on language.   Answer Question

Mar 25, 2019

Thank you for the feedback! We are glad to hear you had a great experience and that our team was responsive to your interview feedback and growth advice. We hope you stay in touch with AppFolio and... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio in April 2019.

Interview

Though I have 5 months of working experience, I would still be considered new grad status, as my hr told me. But my interviewer asked me a design question and asked in detail about networking, which isn't my expertise and wasn't listed in the required skill either. I made some mistakes in the coding question (which is very simple) but corrected myself immediately, but the interviewer still penalized me for it. Lastly there was a SQL question, pretty difficult one I would say. I was expecting mostly coding questions and algorithms, but none of my preparation was helpful.

Interview Questions

• Design a interview platform similar to codeinterview.io   Answer Question

Jun 10, 2019 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Our goal is to always ensure candidates feel fully prepared and I'm sorry that this didn't happen. We will use your valuable feedback to make our hiring process better going forward. We wish you the... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Jose, CA) in April 2019.

Interview

I applied for the Software Engineer position online and after a month a recruiter contacted me and scheduled a phone screen interview. This week I got the first round technical interview and it lasted for an hour

Interview Questions

AppFolio Response

Jun 10, 2019 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We hope to cross paths in the future should there be an opportunity that may be a fit. Best of luck to you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2018.

Interview

I applied by talking to one of the hiring staff who've come to our university. After 2 weeks, I recieved an invitation for a first round phone interview. After that I immediately received an invitation for the second and final round phone interview. The hiring manager has been very responsive throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Pair programming problem, find one local minimum in an array, which I and the interviewer worked together.   Answer Question

Mar 25, 2019

Glad to hear the experience was positive! Stay in touch with the company if anything changes on your end - we are rapidly growing and always searching for great talent.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Informational phone call followed by phone interview followed by onsite. Phone interview was to discuss my skills/knowledge and ask a few conceptual technical questions. Onsite was lots of technical questions, behavioral questions. Definitely prepare for algorithms / data structure questions, complexity analysis, etc.

Interview Questions

AppFolio Response

Mar 25, 2019

Glad to hear the experience was positive! Our interviews are designed to be a bit challenging but fun at the same time. Stay in touch with the company as we are growing like crazy - there might be... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at AppFolio in January 2019.

Interview

Received a referral for an HR interview with a recruiter for a SWE position. The recruiter was fantastic and I can tell the company has put a lot of work into their candidate experience.

The company scheduled me for a technical phone interview with the VP of Eng for the next day. This is where things got interesting.

I was told explicitly in the scheduling email I could interview in any language of my choosing; however, pretty much the first thing I was told in the interview was that I could not interview in JavaScript, the language I've been developing in for the past year.

Although I have decent experience developing in C++ and Python, I'm pretty rusty on these languages and wish I would have known beforehand so I could review the language semantics. Being told I could not work in JS really threw me off my game.

I was asked to implement JavaScript's setTimeout() function in any language other than JavaScript.

I struggled through it and came up with a mostly-working solution in Python with JS pseudo-code. Not my finest interview. Told in a friendly email they would not be continuing.

Overall, I think the company is excellent and worth interviewing at. A shame I whiffed it on the second phone screen!

Interview Questions

• How would you implement a feature like JavaScript's setTimeout() in any language other than JavaScript?   Answer Question

Mar 25, 2019

Thank you for the detailed feedback! We are also doing our best to improve and will make sure you are given the right information from the start. Glad to hear you think the company is great - I... More

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Was a phone call interview for one hour. The interviewer asked about my previous experiences and projects. Was then asked a coding question- LRU cache in Ruby, although I did not mention Ruby in my resume.