Apple Apple Retail Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 21, 2017

4.3

3 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (Buffalo, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

I received an invitation to attend one of Apple's Retail store hiring events at the Walden Galleria in Buffalo, NY this past weekend. It was, without a doubt, one of the most uncomfortable and infuriating positions I have ever been placed in regarding interviewing for a job. It was, first off, at 7:30 pm on a Sunday night and lasted until 9:45pm going over the two hours they ask you to prepare for.

Here is the run down:

First impressions - Remember that scene from Fun with Duck and Jane where Duck races his interview competitor up the stairs only to discover a line of hundreds of other shmucks already waiting? That's exactly what it was like coming in for this event. There were so many people. We were greeted at the door by semi-rushed looking employees who gave us a questionnaire to fill out and a nametag. After about 15 minutes they called us in and clapped/cheered as we came into the store in a single line. It was bizarre and uncomfortable but whatever; that's what the culture is like at Apple.

The event begins - They led us toward the back of the store where we were seated. They had about 10 nice chairs with back support in the front row which were taken by the first people to make it in and the rest of us were stuck with extremely uncomfortable bar stools to sit on for 80% of the time spent there. It sucked. The hiring manager talked to us for about 10 minutes or so sounding un-prepared regarding what he was going to say, followed by more amateurish presentation by another set of employees who couldn't get the sound to work on their Apple device. Next, they had us split up and answer a 10 question quiz to "get an idea" of where we stood in terms of our technological understanding. We watched several apple videos after this, which are available on their website and received a run down of the different job types and titles offered in the store.

The Interview - For the actual interview portion we were split up into four groups of 4-5 people. The apple employees also split into groups and rotated to each set of potential candidates to "observe" our question and answer process. Essentially, no one at apple asked us a single interview question. They gave us an iPad and we passed it around the table asking each other the interview questions listed. The employees looked bored and were barely listening to anything we were saying. This was extremely unprofessional and discouraging.

The Close of the Event - After the "interviewing" we returned to our uncomfortable seats and the hiring manager came back to give us closing remarks and to answer any questions. He was asked how many positions were available and vaguely answered as best he could that they usually only hire between 20-30% of the people who attend the event. This is generally about 5-6 people out of the 25+ who were there. He told us we would receive one of two emails in the next 48 hours - one to invite us back to continue the process or another saying thanks but no thanks. About half of the 15ish employees there shared that they had applied and attended hiring events multiple times before being offered a position and not to be discouraged if we are not invited back. Here they reiterated Apple's policy that "they don't say 'no,' they say, 'not now.'"

From this experience I lost any interest what-so-ever in working for Apple. The whole process was ridiculous and as I stated before entirely infuriating.

The thing that bothered me the most was the videos they played of "current" apple associates who said things to the effect of "its about being yourself not how technologically advanced you are" and how "you don't stop being you because you work at apple." The hiring manager contradicted these apple "values" when he said the following:

1.) That the associate must be educated.
2.) That the associate must be technologically advanced enough to speak to a "genius," and someone who was "computer illiterate"
3.) When you work for apple it becomes your family and even though your title might be part time you will work anywhere from 30-35 hours a week.

I was really looking forward to this event and was very disappointed that it turned out being such a waste of time. I hope this helps others who are potentially interested in working for Apple and that to those of you who are that you experience is better than mine.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty typical of any professional interview   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

Very intense interview process with several panel interviews. Nothing like the laid back culture that i was expecting.

Apple Retail Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brighton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple (Brighton, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Group session. Started off with quick introductions, followed by a presentation, followed by two group activities.

The first was working in small groups of 3 or 4, and presenting to the room our ideas about what we thought working in the Apple store would be like, and the most important aspects of the company and customer service.

The second was a role-playing exercise between two people. We were given quick-fire scenarios (between roles as a customer and Apple store employee) and had to act them out.

The entire application process is one group workshop, followed by two or three interviews. I did not get invited to a second interview, but the group stage was fairly casual and relaxed.