Apple Design Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apple Design Interview Questions

Interviews at Apple

2.8

Design Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

I applied and heard back after a couple of weeks about scheduling an interview. The interview was a walk-through of your portfolio and was pretty straightforward. I presented a portion of my portfolio and then answered specific questions about my process. They also provided feedback on what could be improved in my portfolio.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in November 2019.

Interview

Last November, I interviewed at Apple and it was a very negative experience. Their recruiters and schedulers made critical oversights at every step of the way.

After several weeks of phone screens, I was invited for an onsite. Despite repeated emails to the recruiter requesting prep information, nobody responded until literally the night before, and even then did not include basics such as where to go, park, who to ask for, etc. This was especially stressful given the fact I was flown in from out of state. Thankfully I knew what the interview itself would consist of based off of the fact I'm an interviewer in a similar capacity at a different company. Compare this process to somewhere like Amazon, where they are extremely structured and clear regarding how to communicate expectations to the interviewee.

The team I met was very pleasant to interact with. My portfolio presentation had over 30 people in it which was unusual; every other loop I've done only has your 1:1 interviewers present in the folio review. There was also not really any structure to my 1 on 1s. I just talked to a handful of people where it seemed like they were trying to get a sense of my personality but they did not ask pointed questions related to a topic.

Ultimately, despite feeling like I had to overcome sabotage from the recruiting team, I felt pretty good about the experience and thought I had a really great shot. Then fast forward a week and find out that apparently the recruiters missed a crucial step of having me complete a design exercise prior to the onsite.

First of all, I despise design homework. If you can't learn enough about a designer's process and approach in an onsite & their portfolio then you don't know how to interview. Second of all, it's now Thanksgiving. I was told to complete this exercise in 2 days on Thanksgiving weekend, missing time with my family. Also, the team did not know what kind of design homework to even give me, given that this was for a specialized role on their team- they had to scramble to contrive an exercise after consulting with outside teams. If you don't even know what to look for in an exercise, why bother having me do it?

Despite this, I still managed to create a 70 page design deck that explored 10 different scenarios they provided. That's right, 10 scenarios in 2 days on Thanksgiving. This is a taste of some of that infamous Apple WLB I've read so much about.

After the rush to complete this exercise, I submit on Monday morning just to find out that the team is now on Christmas break and I will not be able to present the work to them for another month. Thanks, recruiters!

Fast forward to mid-January, I'm invited to present my design homework to the team remotely from a satellite office near where I live, and then follow up with a 1 on 1 with a PM who had joined the team in the 2 months since I last interviewed. What a trainwreck. On the call were designers from an outside team whom I've never met, and they took the opportunity to really jump down my throat to see how I'd react. It's not the first time I've had someone behave in such a way in a design crit, but it was definitely telling as to what their culture is like. There was just generally such an air of dismissiveness and disdain which isn't OK, even in crits. It certainly didn't help that I had to defend work I did 2 months ago.

After that, my 1 on 1 was a stark contrast from the onsite I had in November. The PM I met with was extremely rude and standoffish - she had just come from Amazon a month prior and you could tell she still carried that culture with her. The entire visit just left me feeling blindsided; the vibe and attitude from everyone was so starkly different from my initial visit.

Ultimately, things did not work out. Speaking to friends within the company, I had the job up until the final design exercise. I strongly believe the recruiters did not put me in a position to succeed, but I was also so thirsty to work for Apple that I overlooked numerous red flags. I don't know if anybody who was on my interview was even aware of all the obstacles I had to face, not that it matters, but some understanding would have been nice.

After investing 4 months of my life during holiday season just to see how disorganized and at times unprofessional Apple behaved throughout this process was a pretty big blow to my confidence and perception of self-worth as a designer. After a month, I got back on the horse and received offers from literally every other FAANG company. I'm very excited to be working for a direct competitor on a much stronger team.

If there's one lesson you can take away from my review, it's this: Don't let the allure of a brand get in the way of your judgement. Culture and WLB matter, and a company's treatment of you throughout the interview process speaks volumes as to how they will treat you as an employee.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2019.

Interview

I had 2 phone calls first. Each was about 45 minutes. Then I was invited for an onsite. Apple pays for everything. I went there, did a portfolio presentation. Afterwards soemone from the team took me out for lunch. The rest of the afternoon, I was sitting in a tiny room, interviewing with 6 different people. They were all nice and respectful. Then I also had screen call with their director.

Design Interview

Interview

I had a phone interview with John and he is so friendly and nice. Recruiter kept contact with me all the time. Even though I didn't get the job, it's a wonderful experience interviewing with Apple.

Designer Interview

Interview

Apple contracts out recruiters for positions. One of the questions the recruiter asked me was to provide the year I finished my college education?

Why does Apple need to know this? To discriminate based on age? Tim Cook wants to discriminate on age? Really, wow, what kind of company are you running Mr Cook?

Design Interview

Interview

The overall process is good, but it took too long -- The overall interview process took around 2 months and I did not get the offer in the end. I first talked with one designer on the team, and received a design challenge two weeks after, and then talked to a design manager about the challenge.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

Started with a recruiter phone screen who was very open about the company and team. Next spoke with the hiring manager and a senior designer in consecutive phone screens. Was given a homework assignment and eventually came an on-site portfolio review and face to face interviews with about 10 people from the team.

Designer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Got an interview with employee referral. Questions are mostly basic RTL design technique. An interviewer was kind and the questions are not that difficult, but the position is not matched to me.

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I've been dragged through this process a few times. In two cases I got a lot of enthusiasm from the recruiter and promised interviews with specific hiring managers. Then... nothing. No updates, no replies to my emails. In another instance I was brought in to interview and offered a job the next day. I had a job so I said I would put in my 2 weeks notice when I got the official offer. Then I waited, and waited,the recruiter kept shrugging at what was taking so long. Two weeks later the offer was rescinded to move the req to a different department. The recruiter assured me that they would follow up with the manager to let them know I was already chosen for the role. Then silence. I never got replies to my emails and just had to assume the process had stopped. They've jerked me around so many times I can't believe they hire anyone.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Don't know, they dropped the ball and the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process was fun, helpful and pleasant! I met a great team and they asked a lot of great questions regarding the job. It was so much fun and pleasant.