Apple Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apple Engineering Interview Questions

Interviews at Apple

3.3

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple in August 2018.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn about a networking event for students and attended (mid summer). I wasn’t able to talk to a lot of employees due to long lines but I gave my resume out to three people and talked with two recruiters. A month later I was contacted through email asking if I was still interested/wanted to schedule an interview. I had my interview a week later on site with two members of the team. Two weeks later I received a call from the manager and the university recruiter saying I would be receiving an offer letter soon. This may have been slightly different because this internship is a co-op and I’ll be taking time off of college to intern here for 9 months. The interview itself was pretty casual and although there were supposed to be 4-5 interviewers, half couldn’t make it so there were only 2 team members interviewing me.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about X on your resume?   3 Answers
  • It looks like you are involved in a lot of things, will you have time if offered the internship?   1 Answer
  • What coursework have you taken?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple in December 2017.

Interview

Interviewed with someone from Apple on campus, but was not chosen to proceed with that team. He seemed to have passed around my resume around and I heard back from two other teams that were interested in interviewing me. Had a very rough first phone interview with one of the two managers but passed to the second round. Had 3 back to back 45 min interviews on coderpad. All three were technical though none asked me to compile my code. Heard back two days later through a phone call that I was made an offer! I’ve interviewed with Apple before and back then it took them three weeks before they gave me a no. I think they move really fast when they’re actually interested in you but quite slow otherwise. Overall still really good experience. Learned a lot about the environment and expectations through the interviews. Interviewers were very friendly, one of them was especially nice and encouraging even when I couldn’t answer the question in full.

Interview Questions

• Computer systems, algorithms, oop   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Apple (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

IT was a long process. They had three stages, first for phone interview then skype then on site. Overall the interview process was not long. They hired me right away after the third interview.

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Apple in August 2016.

Interview

One phone interview, one FaceTime interview. Asked a mix of technical and behavioral questions. There was no design challenge, but they did put me in a few hypothetical situations to see how I would react.

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple in October 2015.

Interview

I had an on-campus interview at a networking session. All went well, I had an enjoyable and intriguing conversation with the design engineer. I showed him a machine that i had built and we talked about why I made the choices that I made.
    My next step is the phone interview. I was told that I got one approximately three months after the in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Most questions related to my design.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Ann Arbor, MI) in September 2015.

Interview

After talking to them at the career fair I got a text later that day asking to do an interview with the person I talked to at the fair in the following days. It was 30 minutes and about 20-25 were straight up just the interviewer whipping off questions. After that I did two phone interviews with interested managers at Apple spaced about a week apart from each other. In the phone interviews it pretty much just ended up being me telling them about my resume and what I've done, usually they were interested in a specific part of it and wanted to talk more about that.

To me, it seems that if you make it past the first technical interview, you're pretty much in and the phone interviews are just to place you somewhere as long as you know your stuff when it comes to what's on you resume.

Interview Questions

• Material properties, structures, beam bending in the first interview   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

An Apple HR representative contacted me and told me the Touch Screen group was interested in hiring new grads with a strong background in EE. The position was an Analog EE position; I told her my background was in Digital EE. She informed me that this was not a problem. I was then sent a pre-interview exam to complete within 24 hours. On the exam were analog circuit analysis questions (RLC and op-amps), a probability question, and an open ended economics question. I felt good about the exam and a few days later Apple contacted me saying they’d like to proceed with an onsite interview. We scheduled a date.
    Four days before the interview I received an email disclosing what I should study to prepare for the interview. On the list: tranistors/resistors. Transistors had not been on the pretest. Enter full on study mode.
    The day of: My first interview starts with “So why do you want to work at Apple.” I’m tempted to say “Actually, you guys want me,” but I start off on a good note and talk about the exciting technology, the chance to work with brilliant people, and my potential to really grow and excel in such an engineer-friendly environment – pretty good I think. Next he says “Your background is DSP, so why are you interviewing for this job.” Again, I’m tempted to say “Well, I don’t have a job yet, I am really smart and I could do well – I think – doing just about anything so I figure why not check out my options.” Instead I go on to talk about my passion for EE and my general obsession with science and engineering (honest) and that it was difficult for me in grad school to choose an area at all because everything excited me. Again, true and tactful. He understands. We talk about my background. I describe my research and go over some coursework. Then, on to the “technical” part.
    My first technical question is to solve an Op-Amp circuit. I tell him I have to solve the circuit. He steps back and lets me go. I solve it slowly but surely. We move on to discussing touch screens; we have a nice technical discussion about it. Ends well and he gives me a business card.
    Next, my second interviewer arrives. He again asks me why I want to work at Apple and why I am applying to this job. I bite my tongue about clarifying that I didn’t apply for the job. We discuss background and research and then move on to the technical questions. He puts up a slightly more complicated Op-Amp circuit. Sheesh, I think. I solve it, but the whole thing has taken awhile. He decides to ask me something that “I should be really familiar with.” He then goes on to ask the most ill-posed question I have ever heard. It came with a correspondingly bad block diagram.
    I have thought long and hard on the discussion that followed and have decided that he didn’t know enough to ask a good question. I think he skimmed a wiki article on DSP and thought he knew enough to interview me well.
    My next interview is with HR. They gush over how smart I am, how much “Apple” wants me, etc. It is over all pleasant and a nice break, thought I wonder who "Apple" is and when I get to meet him...
    An engineer comes to interview me over lunch. He fixates on my background and how this position is not a good match. I try to stay positive but he is relentless. I think he hates me. I guess he gets tired of reminding me that I am a poor match for this position and moves on to asking about my research. I tell him what I did, etc. His exact words are then “Well, I am skeptical about that.” How do you politely say “Sorry you don’t understand it; maybe you’d like me to teach you something for the next 4 hours?” I know what I did, the conferences that published my work know what I did, and the team of doctorates that passed me on my M.S. defense knows what I did. I really don’t care if this guy thinks it’s legit. I feel very uncomfortable, very defensive, and starting to wonder how I even got there. I thought these people wanted to hire me; I didn’t come here to beg for a job.
    He draws an op-amp circuit. He doesn’t like how I am solving it – which isn’t wrong it’s just not how he prefers. He interrupts my train of thought, but I manage to get the correct answer. He then moves on to stats questions. I did poorly here. This man was not nice and I didn’t want to be near him.
    Finally, a new interviewer. He asks me another (you guessed it!) op-amp circuit.
    He tries to meet me half way by asking a DSP question, but I really wish these guys would stop doing that. He receives a text message, and then asks me a question about the seasons. Meeting on more neutral ground is comfortable. This guy is nice, and I wouldn’t mind working with him.
    Interview ends and he graciously tells me that we are done interviewing, but HR will be in touch with me about DSP positions.
    We politely say goodbye; then I get the hell out of there.
    Overall, it was weird. I am glad I did it, glad I didn’t get the job, and glad to be interviewing with other companies.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

contacted via LinkedIn. two semi technical phone screens followed. travel was required and arranged very promptly -- flexibility and decent arrangements. next day interview consisted of a 8 1:1s with potential peers and management. it lasted about 7 hours and included lunch at the main cafeteria. really know your resume, which is where most technical questions originated from. obsessive brand loyalty is par for the course and is why you're interviewing with them.

overall experience was positive and a good barometer of where you are on the totem pole.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

2 full days of interviews spread across 2 weeks. The position is fairly senior and cross-functional in nature, interfacing between two major groups. The position required wide range of technical knowledge as well as management experience. I blew the process by not answering in enough detail about team building and management experience. I was concentrating too much on being technical and mis-read the importance of questions from one of the key interviewers.

Apple has many disciplines of talent, make sure your understand the discipline of the interviewer as they look for different traits. An industrial designer make ask the same questions as an electrical engineer, but they don't always expect the same answer.

Good luck.

Interview Questions

• I would you investigate a technology with-out letting anyone know you were investigating it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

Ask questions based on my resume most of the time so that you should really be familiar with your resume. A few questions about how to test the equipment. The questions are not that difficult but some of them are not clear. Actually I knew the answer and I answered, but it seems they didnot understand what I mean,,,