Apple Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 7, 2017

3.3

57 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

I got to the group interview where I was able to meet all the team members in the department that I applied to. 25 mins per person, total around 5 hours. My interview went well according to the recruiter, she quickly set me up for the final interviews with other departments. Few days before the interview, the recruiter notified me that the interview got canceled without giving any explanation. I spend a lot time to find out the reason from insider at Apple, turn out that the other department did not think I am quality for the position; I also have a similar background as the other department which could imperil them...according to the insider.

Even though I want to try again and prove myself, after a second thought I think there is no reason to bargain for a job in a company where one department can easily Interference the rest of the department's business. Such political matters will definitely effect my loyalty if I actually work inside that company.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 3 phone screens followed by a 6 hour in person interview. Questions were a mix of technical as well as problem solving related.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

I got an interview with an HR specialist through an employee referral. The interview was more like a screening and mostly focused on how my background and skills matched their current open positions in that particular department. There were a few technical questions, but very high level, and the rest was just a discussion on the job responsibilities and how my background could be a fit or not.
    The whole process was very well organized and the recruiter I spoke to was very friendly. Overall it was a very good and professional experience, even though it seemed that there was not a good fit at the time for either party involved.

Interview Questions

• Have you previously worked on projects related to the description for this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

An Apple HR representative contacted me and told me the Touch Screen group was interested in hiring new grads with a strong background in EE. The position was an Analog EE position; I told her my background was in Digital EE. She informed me that this was not a problem. I was then sent a pre-interview exam to complete within 24 hours. On the exam were analog circuit analysis questions (RLC and op-amps), a probability question, and an open ended economics question. I felt good about the exam and a few days later Apple contacted me saying they’d like to proceed with an onsite interview. We scheduled a date.
    Four days before the interview I received an email disclosing what I should study to prepare for the interview. On the list: tranistors/resistors. Transistors had not been on the pretest. Enter full on study mode.
    The day of: My first interview starts with “So why do you want to work at Apple.” I’m tempted to say “Actually, you guys want me,” but I start off on a good note and talk about the exciting technology, the chance to work with brilliant people, and my potential to really grow and excel in such an engineer-friendly environment – pretty good I think. Next he says “Your background is DSP, so why are you interviewing for this job.” Again, I’m tempted to say “Well, I don’t have a job yet, I am really smart and I could do well – I think – doing just about anything so I figure why not check out my options.” Instead I go on to talk about my passion for EE and my general obsession with science and engineering (honest) and that it was difficult for me in grad school to choose an area at all because everything excited me. Again, true and tactful. He understands. We talk about my background. I describe my research and go over some coursework. Then, on to the “technical” part.
    My first technical question is to solve an Op-Amp circuit. I tell him I have to solve the circuit. He steps back and lets me go. I solve it slowly but surely. We move on to discussing touch screens; we have a nice technical discussion about it. Ends well and he gives me a business card.
    Next, my second interviewer arrives. He again asks me why I want to work at Apple and why I am applying to this job. I bite my tongue about clarifying that I didn’t apply for the job. We discuss background and research and then move on to the technical questions. He puts up a slightly more complicated Op-Amp circuit. Sheesh, I think. I solve it, but the whole thing has taken awhile. He decides to ask me something that “I should be really familiar with.” He then goes on to ask the most ill-posed question I have ever heard. It came with a correspondingly bad block diagram.
    I have thought long and hard on the discussion that followed and have decided that he didn’t know enough to ask a good question. I think he skimmed a wiki article on DSP and thought he knew enough to interview me well.
    My next interview is with HR. They gush over how smart I am, how much “Apple” wants me, etc. It is over all pleasant and a nice break, thought I wonder who "Apple" is and when I get to meet him...
    An engineer comes to interview me over lunch. He fixates on my background and how this position is not a good match. I try to stay positive but he is relentless. I think he hates me. I guess he gets tired of reminding me that I am a poor match for this position and moves on to asking about my research. I tell him what I did, etc. His exact words are then “Well, I am skeptical about that.” How do you politely say “Sorry you don’t understand it; maybe you’d like me to teach you something for the next 4 hours?” I know what I did, the conferences that published my work know what I did, and the team of doctorates that passed me on my M.S. defense knows what I did. I really don’t care if this guy thinks it’s legit. I feel very uncomfortable, very defensive, and starting to wonder how I even got there. I thought these people wanted to hire me; I didn’t come here to beg for a job.
    He draws an op-amp circuit. He doesn’t like how I am solving it – which isn’t wrong it’s just not how he prefers. He interrupts my train of thought, but I manage to get the correct answer. He then moves on to stats questions. I did poorly here. This man was not nice and I didn’t want to be near him.
    Finally, a new interviewer. He asks me another (you guessed it!) op-amp circuit.
    He tries to meet me half way by asking a DSP question, but I really wish these guys would stop doing that. He receives a text message, and then asks me a question about the seasons. Meeting on more neutral ground is comfortable. This guy is nice, and I wouldn’t mind working with him.
    Interview ends and he graciously tells me that we are done interviewing, but HR will be in touch with me about DSP positions.
    We politely say goodbye; then I get the hell out of there.
    Overall, it was weird. I am glad I did it, glad I didn’t get the job, and glad to be interviewing with other companies.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

contacted via LinkedIn. two semi technical phone screens followed. travel was required and arranged very promptly -- flexibility and decent arrangements. next day interview consisted of a 8 1:1s with potential peers and management. it lasted about 7 hours and included lunch at the main cafeteria. really know your resume, which is where most technical questions originated from. obsessive brand loyalty is par for the course and is why you're interviewing with them.

overall experience was positive and a good barometer of where you are on the totem pole.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

2 full days of interviews spread across 2 weeks. The position is fairly senior and cross-functional in nature, interfacing between two major groups. The position required wide range of technical knowledge as well as management experience. I blew the process by not answering in enough detail about team building and management experience. I was concentrating too much on being technical and mis-read the importance of questions from one of the key interviewers.

Apple has many disciplines of talent, make sure your understand the discipline of the interviewer as they look for different traits. An industrial designer make ask the same questions as an electrical engineer, but they don't always expect the same answer.

Good luck.

Interview Questions

• I would you investigate a technology with-out letting anyone know you were investigating it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

Ask questions based on my resume most of the time so that you should really be familiar with your resume. A few questions about how to test the equipment. The questions are not that difficult but some of them are not clear. Actually I knew the answer and I answered, but it seems they didnot understand what I mean,,,

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

Applied online, got a call from recruiter. Had a 1:1 phone technical interview, got an email from HR after one week for an on-site interview. Interview by 15 people(30 minutes each) followed by 3 more phone interviews. Got an offer after one more week. Most of the interviews are purely technical trying to understand my background and cultural fit.

Show enthusiasm and positive attitude during interview. Pay attention to detail and listen carefully to interviewers. Be proactive and ask questions. Be candid in your answers. Good Luck!!

Interview Questions

• Describe the manufacturing process for some of the components in an iphone?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No, offer was higher than i expected and i gladly accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Seattle, WA) in October 2010.

Interview

The Apple Team was in fact more focused towards to the wireless communication and how the Cells in the mobile network are oriented and organized. There were no questions on the software development side. They also asked questions on DSP and Fourier analysis.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in August 2010.

Interview

I'm still in the process of interviewing there.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to figure out how I'd deal with conflict (managerial question).   1 Answer