Apple Engineering Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 15, 2017

3.4

23 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Engineering Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple in June 2017.

Interview

First, there was a recruiter discussion (screening effort), followed by a call with a peer role. The call was about 40 minutes long, and focused mainly on my experience and a description of the position being applied for (all pretty straight forward). Feedback was tailored towards communication and thinking methodologies. The next call (committed to during the first call) was with the position's direct supervisor, and was structured much differently. It was more conversational, discussing in detail a technical challenge in my experience. The interviewer asked many probing and curiosity based questions, which seemed to be a conversational test of my knowledge and thinking strategy, as well as a performance of my communication skills. This call concluded with an invitation to visit the campus.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a technical challenge you've encountered, and how you overcame it."   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Engineer Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

I got the phone call from the HR recruiter, she scheduled the phone interview with hire manager for me. The hire manager was quite nice. He asked me about the general working experience, there are several technical questions were asked, maybe i didn't answer it very well, haven't hear from HR since the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• What will do if one of the key parts failed the spec two weeks before the product launch. What will be your actual plan, which department will you contact?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

Pretty long day with 9 consecutive 45-min interviews. Everyone was friendly, very smart. Met with people at all levels and a variety of roles, including engineers, program managers, and QA. Seemed more about the cultural fit, relationship building, and the core part of an EPM duties vs factors to consider when trying to go above and beyond. Overall, a good exprience and welcome people to enjoy it.

Interview Questions

• Case study to think through different variables about next gen technology   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Extremely elaborate and painfully long. Recruiters are subpar and very poor in terms of communication. Often handed off from one recruiter to another.

Recruiter 1 reached out for phone screen with interviewer 1. Interviewer 1 missed the phone screen appointment. Recruiter reached out and set up a followup call. Although I asked for confirmation on the rescheduled time, no confirmation received. So I wasn't expecting the call when suddenly the interviewer 1 calls on the rescheduled date !

After the call went well then recruiter reached out 1 week later to set up phone screen 2. After giving a few dates, phone screen 2 was scheduled 2 weeks later.

Phone screen 2 seemed to go well but things went quiet for 2 weeks. Then a new recruiter reached out to schedule an onsite and after I said yes to onsite it took one more week for the recruiter to ask for dates!

After I provided the dates the recruiter again went quiet for 2 weeks and then came out of the blue to again ask for dates. I provided the dates and again no response for 1 week and then he again comes back and asks for dates ! After I provide the dates again quiet period for a week. I was really surprised when he actually ended up setting me for a in-person interview.

The in-person interview 'seemed' to go well. Most people I spoke to seemed to be either genuinely nice or nerdish in an Apple kind of way. In the end the senior most person on the interviewing team actually told me 'talk to you soon' ! The recruiter told me to reach out and also let him know how things went. Noticeably, the general theme that came across was that the team was not happy with the previous EPM in that role.

And then lo behold, no word, not a single peep from the recruiter after 1 month. That was disappointing but not entirely surprising given how the recruiter had been communicating all along. I know Apple is a most sought after company and they have more people trying to get in than the number of positions available but this is really very unprofessional to leave a candidate hanging, especially after the candidate has invested so much time in the whole process. I have had an opportunity to interview with Apple in the past and the unprofessionalism of their recruiters has been very consistent both times.

My 2 cents - I felt that if they are not moving fast enough then it means that they want to try out the other candidates in the pipeline and want to keep you as a backup in case the other candidates don't work out. So keep that in mind as you work through the process.

Needless to say, Apple recruitment process is not even closely comparable to the user experience of those awesome apple products! Truly unfortunate for such a great company.

Engineering Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

After an Apple recruiter phone screen and a phone screen with the hiring manager, I interviewed with 17 people over two days. The first day was interviewing with people in the same team as the open position, and people in other teams that I would work with. The second day was interviews with higher-level people (senior managers, directors, etc.).

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process occurred in 3 rounds. The first two rounds consisted of 30 minute phone interviews with a manager and then a team member. Multiple reschedules occurred due to people being unavailable. I was then flown out for the final onsite interview round. The onsite interviews were basically a series of 45 minute cross functional interviews with engineers, managers, and team members. There was a pretty good mix of technical questions, program management situational questions, and questions regarding prior PM experience.

Although I wouldn't say the questions were particularly difficult or unexpected, the onsite interview was exhausting due to having to handle about seven 45 minute interviews in a row. They were even asking interview questions during lunch. That being said everyone on the team was very friendly and accommodating. Overall, I left the place with a positive vibe regarding the team. I heard about 1.5 weeks after the final round that they were moving forward with the offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe three key things that you believe are essential to being a good program manager. Describe the process of deciding when to escalate an issue.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Santa Clara, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Difficult due to the amount of different people you'd meet every 30 min. Although they asked questions I've answered were right, they didn't seem to fit their Apple Inc. standard.

Interview Questions

• What are the program management steps.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I had a casual interview with the director of project management, the hiring manager and then the formal interview process started.

I then interviewed with the hiring manager's boss, two other team member, who would be my peers, an engineer and the engineering manager and then the hiring manager again. Each session was for 45 min.

Interview Questions

• What is your project management style?
      How would you protect the engineering group?
      Why do you want to change / apply for this position?
      Describe how you would approach a project with just a high level, vague requirement.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Long day, met with about 8 members of the team, back to back... about 30-45 min with each person. All were very friendly and setting was very casual. Not much focus on prior experience. The on-site followed phone screenings with the two managers. Final interview of the day was with the head of the department who was very nice.

Interview Questions

• asked specifics about sensors and a few physics type questions with whiteboard work necessary   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

I was referred via an emplyee a week before I was contacted by a recruiter. She right away scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager without interviewing me. My phone interview (20min) with the hiring manager went well. He asked about my current position and why did I fit with their position. At the end of the call he also explained about his two job openings. I had two onsite interviews. One was Full day, and the other was half day. The full day inteview was tough. Every half an hour a new person would come in and almost none of them had read my resume so I had to go over all my experiences and education. Questions were both about my experience and personal. The second day was more technical. Interviews were so frustrating I must say. I would say out of 10 people whom I saw 7 of them were constantly looking at their cell phones and were distracted. But all of the people whom interviewed me were so nice and reasonable. Next day after the second interview I got a call from the reruiter to discuss my salary and I was told that I'm being hired. The whole process took a month.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions were asked! Probably the technical questions were a bit difficult but expected...   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was too good to be true that I didn't have to negotiate it. I felt well wanted and they appreciated my years of experience and education!