Apple Engineering Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 15, 2017

3.4

23 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Engineering Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Shanghai, Shanghai (China)) in September 2017.

Interview

Reached out by recruiter, after brief talk on phone, set up first phone interview with hiring manager, overall went well, I was moved to next round by hiring manager directly during the phone interview. Next round was on campus, meet with 5team members, each 30mins, more backgrounds and experience questions. One week later, got phone call from recruiter to have face to face meeting with hiring manager, together with another team member. The interview was set right after I'm back from a long holiday leave, not quite my best or even normal condition, didn't do well. Also some questions was pretty tough.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you have some nasty customers you have to work with?   Answer Question
  • What would you do if the vendor cannot delivery according to schedule and core team doesn't approve any schedule delay?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

Pretty long day with 9 consecutive 45-min interviews. Everyone was friendly, very smart. Met with people at all levels and a variety of roles, including engineers, program managers, and QA. Seemed more about the cultural fit, relationship building, and the core part of an EPM duties vs factors to consider when trying to go above and beyond. Overall, a good exprience and welcome people to enjoy it.

Interview Questions

• Case study to think through different variables about next gen technology   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Extremely elaborate and painfully long. Recruiters are subpar and very poor in terms of communication. Often handed off from one recruiter to another.

Recruiter 1 reached out for phone screen with interviewer 1. Interviewer 1 missed the phone screen appointment. Recruiter reached out and set up a followup call. Although I asked for confirmation on the rescheduled time, no confirmation received. So I wasn't expecting the call when suddenly the interviewer 1 calls on the rescheduled date !

After the call went well then recruiter reached out 1 week later to set up phone screen 2. After giving a few dates, phone screen 2 was scheduled 2 weeks later.

Phone screen 2 seemed to go well but things went quiet for 2 weeks. Then a new recruiter reached out to schedule an onsite and after I said yes to onsite it took one more week for the recruiter to ask for dates!

After I provided the dates the recruiter again went quiet for 2 weeks and then came out of the blue to again ask for dates. I provided the dates and again no response for 1 week and then he again comes back and asks for dates ! After I provide the dates again quiet period for a week. I was really surprised when he actually ended up setting me for a in-person interview.

The in-person interview 'seemed' to go well. Most people I spoke to seemed to be either genuinely nice or nerdish in an Apple kind of way. In the end the senior most person on the interviewing team actually told me 'talk to you soon' ! The recruiter told me to reach out and also let him know how things went. Noticeably, the general theme that came across was that the team was not happy with the previous EPM in that role.

And then lo behold, no word, not a single peep from the recruiter after 1 month. That was disappointing but not entirely surprising given how the recruiter had been communicating all along. I know Apple is a most sought after company and they have more people trying to get in than the number of positions available but this is really very unprofessional to leave a candidate hanging, especially after the candidate has invested so much time in the whole process. I have had an opportunity to interview with Apple in the past and the unprofessionalism of their recruiters has been very consistent both times.

My 2 cents - I felt that if they are not moving fast enough then it means that they want to try out the other candidates in the pipeline and want to keep you as a backup in case the other candidates don't work out. So keep that in mind as you work through the process.

Needless to say, Apple recruitment process is not even closely comparable to the user experience of those awesome apple products! Truly unfortunate for such a great company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Santa Clara, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Difficult due to the amount of different people you'd meet every 30 min. Although they asked questions I've answered were right, they didn't seem to fit their Apple Inc. standard.

Interview Questions

• What are the program management steps.   2 Answers

Engineering Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter. He arranged for a 1 hour phone interview with a hiring manager. After that I was invited to the corporate campus for an interview consisting of 8 30-minute long interviews with various engineers and managers. A week after the interview, I was informed that they had selected another candidate, which I do appreciate. I was also given feedback by the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Part of the problem with Apple's interview style is that you tend to get asked the same questions over and over by different people who didn't have a chance to hear you answer previously. Also 30 minutes per person isn't really enough time to get to know one another.   Answer Question

Engineering Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple in October 2012.

Interview

One of my friend forwarded my resume through internal referral system. There were 4 Phone interviews (First HR + Hiring Manager + 2 team members). Then they called me for F2F whole day interview. There were 8 F2F interviews, including 1hr lunch. First 4 interviews were all done by team members for 30mins each. Then 3 members from other team interviewed me again. Finally hiring manager interviewed me for the final 30mins.

After a couple of days, they called me again for F2F with Director and Sr.Director for a quick 1hr interview. They discussed very high level job functions and experience.

Interview Questions

• Team members requested me to draw Network architectures on white board. Tech team members were asking about
      1. CDMA (1X) theoretical data rate (not regular data rate)
      2. LTE activation, call flow, bandwidth
      3. Scenario based questions (Network/Customer issues)
      4. What do you like in iPhone 5 and what new features do you suggest to add
      5. Examples of dealing with difficult employees
      6. Examples of Pro-activeness
      7. CDMA channels (FWD- Pilot, Sync,etc) and its purpose
      8. Why Apple (customized answer -not regular one) ?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, I was able to negotiate a little bit. I requested the HR to see if there is any room for negotiation. They agreed to bump the salary by 5k+.
    I would have taken it without it too.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

I was contacted by an Apple recruiter via LinkedIn and eventually had a 15-20 min telephone screening interview. Two days later, I had a 30 min phone interview with the hiring manager. The next week, I traveled to their campus for an onsite interview with 4 different people who would be peers/one level higher. Finally, I was brought back onsite for another 3 interviews with more senior level (boss of boss) employees.

Interview Questions

• They asked me pretty typical interview questions, nothing too technical since it was for a program management role.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

Very thorough - three separate onsite interviews with multiple people. Initial phone call with recruiter was half an hour long, just a quick resume review and typical "what do you want out of a job" questions. Technical people asked high level technical questions, even though it is not really a technical job, to make sure you understand the technology you will support. Lots of troubleshooting questions, hypothetical situations, etc.

Know your resume! They will read it (all of it) and quiz you about it. Even stuff from a decade ago. Be honest and be enthusiastic about the company and the position.

Everyone I interviewed with was enthusiastic about working for Apple and seemed to enjoy their jobs.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when you find out two weeks before launch that a software feature still hasn't been implemented?   1 Answer
    • How do you go about defining a new SW feature, from start to finish?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

Over the course of 6 weeks, I had two on-site interviews totalling 16 interviewers. After each set of on-site interviews, I would get no response from the recruiter. I was in a very busy time with my current job and I was bending over backwards to make time for them. I finally received a response for a 3rd round of in-site interviews with another four interviewers. 5 minutes after receiving confirmation of the interview (through e-mail) I received a phone call from the recruiter that an offer was accepted by someone else. Who does that? Why would they even tell me I was being brought in for a 3rd round if they already made an offer to someone?

I was constantly reassured by the recruiter that technical questions would not be part of the interview because it was a project management job, not a technical job, but I had 3 interviewers who asked nothing but technical questions and I was ill-prepared for them.

Interview Questions

• You have no extra time and no extra resources but is asked by the CEO to add 20 extra features, what do you do?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in June 2009.

Interview

Initially had a phone interview and then in person interview - I met 10 people including the recruiter. The questions were both technical and non-technical. The interview lasted for about 6 hours. The question that I found difficult was " Where do you see yourself in 5 years and how will this job help you acheive that goal?"

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years and how will this job help you reach that goal?   Answer Question
    • What will you do if the client asked for more features and you are already behind schedule   1 Answer