Apple Hardware Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 19, 2017

3.5

71 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Lots of general questions of systems engineering. Questions spanned from analog electronics, optical engineering, sensing technology, image sensors, characterization. People who interviewed me seemed very prepared in their field, but were from a variety of specialties. Overall they were fair and nice, but I had the impression that they were looking for somebody who is expert/specialist on everything.

Interview Questions

• How would you remove cross-talk between channels in a CMOS image sensor?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

There were 2 initial phone screens. The first one is purely technical and is moderately difficult. The second one is technical and behavioral. But that is a tough technical interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

First phone interview, then a 24 hour assignment, then on-site interview with about 10 different managers. Received and accepted offer about a week after interview.
    Interview questions were very technical and consisted of solving problems live on whiteboard.
    Don't let a bad interview ruin your recruiting process: I believe I blew a couple of interviews but was pretty good on others. I felt like 5 good interviews versus 3 bad ones and I got the job. Just stay polite and answer the questions as good as you can. Tell the interviewers how you think, I believe that's more important than if you solve all the problems correctly. Think structured and pay attention to detail!

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in November 2010.

Interview

The interview process begins with several 30 mins technical phone interviews first (No HR phone screen for my case), the phone interviews are just basic technical background review and simply text-book questions. Hours later, they invited me to do an on-site interview in Cupertino. It is much harder than I expected.
    The on-site interview consisted of 15 people 1:1, each of them has 30mins, from 10am-6pm non-stop with a lunch interview in 12. Each interviewer has different backgrounds so their questions could be very hard at some time.

Just in my point of view,
    1. Don't wing it. If you don't know just say no. You can imagine like 15 guys ask you question from every sides of technical background, you would probably need 3 phd to answer them all correctly. So just be honest and they will really appreciate that. I missed a lot of questions, and some of them I have totally no idea of, all I did is tell them I don't know and show the potential to learn.
    2. Pay attention to detail. That's very important. Be well prepared for your presentation and materials if they interested. Try your best to show them how much you focused on details. Get yourself some extra copies of those printed materials and bind them neatly.
    3. It is all about communications. The communication in an on-site interview is even important than technical part. They want to know who you really are and whether you are good to deal with in the future if they really want you. So when you past the 1st round interview already, be smart and ALWAYS show your good altitude. Keep smile at all time.
    I got the unofficial offer hours later. The interview process overall is positive and all the interviewers are very nice. They shown their enthusiasm about their job during the interview.
    Hope this helps and good luck.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I have no other offers on hand, so accepted this offer with no conditions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I met some Apple recruiters at an event at my school, then got an email a couple of weeks later to schedule a phone interview. The interview was very technical and asked very specific questions about cantilevers and beams and such. There were very few personal/behavioral questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

Interviewed for one of the iPhone hardware teams. Was an intern at the time, so there was no phone interview, went straight to onsite interview. Several interviews included being shown a board of electronics and identifying different components on these boards and what their functions are.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Apple in August 2013.

Interview

A few tele-conversation before flying into China for second and third round interviews. 2x Design test, 6-8 formality interviews. The design test was into details explanation. always ask questions to clarify if there is any doubt, this shows that you are a careful person.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to travel a lot for business trip?   Answer Question
    • Are you willing to relocate to different country for this job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Was a 45 min Phone screen interview, referred by a current employee who's in the same group. Interview was scheduled almost right after they received my resume. There were 3 interviewers, and they asked lots of questions related to my resume and previous experiences, but not limited to. Around a week later, I received a reject email from the hiring manager.

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Two phone interviews and then got call for onsite. Onsite interview was grueling. Back to back 8 interviews, 45 minutes each. Surprisingly, no behavioral questions. Overall, I was not happy with the process and how HR treats candidates. Didn't accept the offer.

Interview Questions

• Questions were related to the job descriptions but you need to go into details to explain everything on white board.   1 Answer

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Apple (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

Multiple rounds with some days in between as people were being screened for the next round. 1.) Phone and 2.) Skype. Only technical questions, somewhat difficult for the typical undergrad level student. Asked in quick succession during the phone interview. Phone interview seemed focused on test equipment and methodologies, and other random stuff. Skype interview was more focused on circuit design.

Interview Questions

• Describe how to characterize the power efficiency of a power supply?   2 Answers
    • what is this circuit, and what are the voltage waveforms?   1 Answer