Apple Hardware Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apple Hardware Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

3.5

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

There were 2 initial phone screens. The first one is purely technical and is moderately difficult. The second one is technical and behavioral. But that is a tough technical interview

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

First phone interview, then a 24 hour assignment, then on-site interview with about 10 different managers. Received and accepted offer about a week after interview.
    Interview questions were very technical and consisted of solving problems live on whiteboard.
    Don't let a bad interview ruin your recruiting process: I believe I blew a couple of interviews but was pretty good on others. I felt like 5 good interviews versus 3 bad ones and I got the job. Just stay polite and answer the questions as good as you can. Tell the interviewers how you think, I believe that's more important than if you solve all the problems correctly. Think structured and pay attention to detail!

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in November 2010.

Interview

The interview process begins with several 30 mins technical phone interviews first (No HR phone screen for my case), the phone interviews are just basic technical background review and simply text-book questions. Hours later, they invited me to do an on-site interview in Cupertino. It is much harder than I expected.
    The on-site interview consisted of 15 people 1:1, each of them has 30mins, from 10am-6pm non-stop with a lunch interview in 12. Each interviewer has different backgrounds so their questions could be very hard at some time.

Just in my point of view,
    1. Don't wing it. If you don't know just say no. You can imagine like 15 guys ask you question from every sides of technical background, you would probably need 3 phd to answer them all correctly. So just be honest and they will really appreciate that. I missed a lot of questions, and some of them I have totally no idea of, all I did is tell them I don't know and show the potential to learn.
    2. Pay attention to detail. That's very important. Be well prepared for your presentation and materials if they interested. Try your best to show them how much you focused on details. Get yourself some extra copies of those printed materials and bind them neatly.
    3. It is all about communications. The communication in an on-site interview is even important than technical part. They want to know who you really are and whether you are good to deal with in the future if they really want you. So when you past the 1st round interview already, be smart and ALWAYS show your good altitude. Keep smile at all time.
    I got the unofficial offer hours later. The interview process overall is positive and all the interviewers are very nice. They shown their enthusiasm about their job during the interview.
    Hope this helps and good luck.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I have no other offers on hand, so accepted this offer with no conditions.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Apple (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

Multiple rounds with some days in between as people were being screened for the next round. 1.) Phone and 2.) Skype. Only technical questions, somewhat difficult for the typical undergrad level student. Asked in quick succession during the phone interview. Phone interview seemed focused on test equipment and methodologies, and other random stuff. Skype interview was more focused on circuit design.

Interview Questions

• Describe how to characterize the power efficiency of a power supply?   1 Answer
    • what is this circuit, and what are the voltage waveforms?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Apple (New York, NY).

Interview

Interviewed for a co-op position. Very technical process throughout with a great deal of emphasis on candidate's abilities and interests. All interviewers were very proficient in going through the entire process.

Hardware Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Apple in March 2016.

Interview

Got an email from a recruiter showing interest. 4 rounds of phone interviews with engineers. Got called on site. Interviews from 10 to 5 PM. Mostly technical questions regarding my experience. Some brain teasers/design problems. I was even asked questions as I was eating my lunch.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you dealt with a coworker/teammate who wasn't pulling his/her weight.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you struggled to learn something. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

First a phone screen with HR, then a technical interview with the leader of a hardware group. It was a phone interview and he jumped right into technical questions without much chit chat.

Interview Questions

• They gave an example of a failed part and asked: When selecting a material what would you take into consideration more, tensile strength or yield strength?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Initial screening by an engineer, then went on-site in Apple's headquarter for 5~6 rounds of 1 to 1 interviews. The interview was well organized. All the interviewers were quite nice, and you can tell they are smart and know the techs quite well. Of course, the questions can be quite tough, and mostly technical.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Met on university campus for an on-campus interview. Asked various technical questions about previous projects. You would draw a block diagram of your project, and they would test your technical knowledge of various blocks if they found it interesting. Also asked plenty of technical questions relating to their products. Felt a little rushed since they were on a time schedule.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

I started at an info session at my college that lead to 3 videochat interviews, followed by and afternoon of on-site interviews. Talked to various persons working on the team and higher-ups. After a week or two, HR came back to me with an offer that I accepted. Well organized interview process.

Interview Questions

• Mostly talked about my background and personal projects, as well as a couple of basic technical questions.   Answer Question