Apple Hardware Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 19, 2017

3.5

71 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Hardware Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Apple in March 2016.

Interview

Got an email from a recruiter showing interest. 4 rounds of phone interviews with engineers. Got called on site. Interviews from 10 to 5 PM. Mostly technical questions regarding my experience. Some brain teasers/design problems. I was even asked questions as I was eating my lunch.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you dealt with a coworker/teammate who wasn't pulling his/her weight.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you struggled to learn something. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Was a 45 min Phone screen interview, referred by a current employee who's in the same group. Interview was scheduled almost right after they received my resume. There were 3 interviewers, and they asked lots of questions related to my resume and previous experiences, but not limited to. Around a week later, I received a reject email from the hiring manager.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Met on university campus for an on-campus interview. Asked various technical questions about previous projects. You would draw a block diagram of your project, and they would test your technical knowledge of various blocks if they found it interesting. Also asked plenty of technical questions relating to their products. Felt a little rushed since they were on a time schedule.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (San Jose, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

A full day meeting with members of the team, managers, and some cross group members, every 30 minutes a new person arrived. It was very well organized and each person listened well and asked questions about what was on my resume. Know what is on your resume! I did not have a problem with that but this is the simplest of rules.

Whiteboards surrounded the room, so often it was asked to sketch out what you were thinking. This gives the interviewer an idea of how you think and how you can community technical ideas.

Interview Questions

• Describe the components of a boost circuit that you worked on, what does the components do?   Answer Question
    • How would you change your tracks to maintain impedance if your core spacing needed to double   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Apple in December 2015.

Interview

One day night got an email from a recruiter of apple saying a manager from a hardware group would like to set up a phone interview with me. The time between I got that email and the phone interview was less than a week. During the interview, the manager basically asked the project I have done.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Initial screening by an engineer, then went on-site in Apple's headquarter for 5~6 rounds of 1 to 1 interviews. The interview was well organized. All the interviewers were quite nice, and you can tell they are smart and know the techs quite well. Of course, the questions can be quite tough, and mostly technical.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2015.

Interview

On Campus interview, basically it is a total review about the computer architecture ranging from superscalar structure to multi-core processors. In the morning is the first screen, then they offer you an interview in the afternoon. The total interview length is 30 mins. It is a 1 on 1 interview. It is not very questions-oriented. We broadly talked about the cache hierarchy, virtual address, register renaming, branch prediction, load/store bypassing/forwarding, memory coherence in multi-core processors, the basic structure of multi-core processor and a lot of details in processor designs. The interview in general is pretty relaxed. You could draw a lot of figures to help the interviewer to understand your point.

Interview Questions

• Q: Why do we need brach prediction?
      Q: Detailed description about the cache address structures
      Q: Out-of-Order superscalar processor structure   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to my university and I followed up at a career fair. I then had one in person interview with an engineer going over the general kind of work required by the position and testing my ability to think quickly and effectively about testing problems in hardware systems. This was followed by a phone interview with the manager of the position asking more specific technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Give me 5 ways of measuring how much gasoline is in a car.   1 Answer

Hardware Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Apple in September 2015.

Interview

The recruiter first does a phone screen. If that goes well, you have phone screens with the hiring manager and members of their team.

The recruiter phone screen is pretty simple. The technical screens involved drilling me about electronics principles and testing my ability to read schematics.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain what a capacitor does?   1 Answer

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Apple in September 2015.

Interview

He only ask me basic questions and discuss my resume. He ask me about ASIC design and verification. The programming languages and computer architecture. He talked to me about my projects and my work experience. It was only a screening round at the university.