Apple Automation Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apple Automation Engineer Interview Questions

3.4

QA Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Apple (Sunnyvale, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Phone + Skype interview. During the Skype interview recruiter shared a google doc with some screening/test questions and gave me around 10-15 minutes to answer them. The Interview was not very hard if you know Python and Java well.

Interview Questions

• What is the purpose pass statement in Python?   1 Answer
    • How do you look for locators on a page (have you used any tools?)   2 Answers
    • Difference between final vs. finally and finalize in Java? Provide a detailed answer for each.   Answer Question

Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple (Des Moines, IA) in September 2015.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via email. Set up an initial phone screen with the recruiter the following week. Went over resume and described to me the interview process as well as the job. Shared my resume with hiring managers and other recruiters. I didn't get an interview with the hiring manager the initial recruiter was looking for since my C++ background was not strong. What is great is that the recruiters work together and share your resume with other hiring managers.

I did get contacted for another position and had an interview a week later. It was a 45 minute phone screen with a spew of questions being asked. There were two engineers who interviewed me about the skills on listed on my resume. They were trying to gauge my proficiency for each skill set. I am junior developer, so I was shocked that they were interested in interviewing me since I've only worked in software development for 1.5 years, so I didn't know much of the answers to the questions.

The questions that were asked were really fast- like I was being drilled almost. At one point, I heard one of the engineers laughing. I don't know if they were laughing at my response or what, but I thought it was unprofessional.

The questions asked were mostly Big O Notation (what's the Big O of each data structure), differences between each language you listed on your resume, OS knowledge, and a walk through of how I would write a problem to find remove duplicates from a phone number. I thought it would be more of writing code, but I didn't write any code at all.

I knew the interview went terrible because I didn't have deep knowledge of the skills and languages I had listed on my resume, but it was great practice. I still haven't heard back from the interview, so I'm going to assume I didn't get the job. Hope this helps ya all! Best of Luck!

OSX Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

There were three phone interviews with the recruiter, an engineer, and the team manger respectively. All were low-key and straight forward. Most questions were about experience and skills listed on my resume, but there were a smattering of technical questions as well. The onsite technical interview was took most of the day (10:45 - 5:00pm). All in all there were seven rounds including the lunchtime chat with the manager. The coding questions ran the gambit from relatively easy to somewhat difficult, but all were totally reasonable. I never felt too rushed or pressured while writing code on the whiteboard. It helped to maintain a dialogue with the interviewers while coding because they were all willing to nudge me in the right direction if I was not sure of a solution.

Interview Questions

• One of the more interesting questions went as follows. Given an array of nonnegative integers which represents a histogram (bar chart in particular) how much water would it hold in between the vertical bars if you poured water over it?   1 Answer

Building Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Was very long even as an internal employee hire. Several interviews, 10 in total. The whole process took about 3 months. First a phone call, most likely to vet and make sure personalities matched, next was a phone call with the hiring manager. After that months passed when a second phone call from the recruiter set up an onsite interview with eight different people in one day, back to back. Each person was relevant and integral to the position as it would require closely working with them. Each was nice and most were understanding of the difficulty and length or the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Q: What is one experience that wasn't particularly good in a previous job/position that you overcame & how did you do so?   Answer Question

IOS UI Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

Met with a recruiter at a local hiring event. Was contacted after this event for several phone interviews. The last interview involved an online site where I solved a programming problem. Know your stuff pertaining to the specific job you are applying for. All the managers and team members were extremely knowledgable and helpful.

Interview Questions

• How would you test Safari?   Answer Question
    • Write a function that determines which function is a mirror number. i.e. 12321 would return YES   5 Answers

IOS UI Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

I received an email from an Apple recruiter with details about a position that suited my talents and skills (I had been an iOS developer for 3.5 years up until then). I responded with an email and within a week I had a 20 minute phone interview with the manager of the team. This was a very general and high level interview, he was mostly just interested in my CS experience and asked for some anecdotes related to software debugging and automation testing.

A few days later, I had another phone interview (30 minutes) with a different member of the team, who asked me a few general questions about the structure of an App and some specifics about iOS UI. Then, we used a collaborative programming website for a coding question. I solved this in 2-3 lines of Objective-C and then he asked about how I would test it, and what sort of edge cases I should worry about. He was very nice, and the questions he asked were not terribly challenging.

I followed up with a champion email to my recruiter letting him how I thought the phone interviews went and he responded back shortly confirming that they did indeed go well. He immediately asked when I could fly out to Cupertino for a day of onsite interviews. I live in Boston, MA so I was a little worried about the travel process, but Apple takes very, very good care of it's interviewees.

After booking a flight, hotel, and rental car all through a proprietary Apple corporate website, within two weeks I was in CA. They say that one should dress business casual for the interview, which is standard, but don't be confused when you walk in a see everyone (I mean everyone, managers and all) wearing jeans and shorts. Even if you are the most dressed up and feel a tad out of place, it shows you care about the position. If you earn a job offer, that's when you can dress down.

The interview process was intense, but being an Apple enthusiast, I was happy to have my programming skills tested and my computer science thought process picked apart by west coast engineers. There were around 10 interviews total, one right after the other, each about 40-50 minutes long. The first half of the day was with team members (mostly 2 on 1 interviews) each asking me a programming question. There were 5 coding questions total, each solved on a whiteboard, with time complexity and debugging explanations expected. Lunch was in the middle of the day, which was at a fantastic cafe on the campus. They had me eat with two members of the team for a "lunch interview" which was less pressure than the other interviews, it seemed like a general personality test: verifying that you can interact with people on a social level.

The after lunch interviews were mostly one on one, with certain managers. I talked with the manager of the team, his manager, and then HIS manager. I was personally (and pleasantly) surprised how high up the chain of command I was able to go. These interviews were much more business typical interviews (Where do you see yourself in 3 years? When did you have a problem with a team and how did you solve it? Do you see yourself in a leadership position in the future? etc...) and little about actual programming.

At the end of the day, I had probably gone through 5 water bottles and my voice was gone (after essentially talking for 8 straight hours) but everyone I had talked to was incredibly nice and obviously brilliant. I was intimidated as an east coast engineer at first, but was reassured when I ideally solved 4 of the 5 programming puzzles they presented. The 5th I had come up with a naive solution, but stumbled my way to the more efficient solution.

A week later, after returning back to the east coast, I got a call from my recruiter telling me that the interview went very well and they were indeed interested in hiring me onto the team. He said he would call back in a few days with actual numbers (he had called early in the process, they still had to have managers sign off on the offer specifics before he could tell me). Sure enough, he called back with an impressive offer.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of numbers (assume the array has three or more values, and they are indeed numbers), return an index, if one exists, where the sums of the elements on either side of that index are equal.

eg. [2, 3, 4, 4, 1] given the function this array should return index 2 (element with value 4) because the sums on either side are equal (2 + 3 = 4 + 1).
      9 Answers

Negotiation

I was not in a position to negotiate (I didn't have any other offers, I had just graduated, and I was self employed) but the offer he presented was above average even for software engineers.

Characterization and Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by an Apple recruiter about a month after I had initial applied to a position as Touch Hardware Engineer in the Touch and Sensing Group at Apple. The initial phone screening was just to give some more background on the position. She informed me that I was to be given a skills test, and once she had sent it to me, I had 24 hours to complete it. I asked if she could send it the next day.

The skills test was four questions. The first question was an analysis a voltage conversion circuit where a 5V output is stepped down to 3.3V via a voltage divider. You are suppose to give your analysis of this design in terms of pros and cons. The next two question were basic op-amp analysis questions, which were fairly straight forward. The last question was to analyze an attached data file showing the distribution of parts on two assembly lines and makes a sales decision based on the data. They wanted you to complete 1 PowerPoint slide to present your results.

After contacting the recruiter a few days later, I had a follow-up interview via Skype scheduled for the following week. The hiring manager jumped right into the technical questions. The reason they use video chat is because they will draw diagrams on a whiteboard for you to analyze. There were 3 questions: analyze a circuit and determine it's function (a boost converter), talk about the ideal properties of an op-amp (know about Gain-bandwidth product), and how to sample a square wave (know about it's frequency spectrum).

After an additional week and following up with the recruiter, I was asked to come it for an onsite interview. It was at this point that I was sent a different job description, one for the Characterization and Automation Engineer. I had a suspicion that this was a downgrade from the position to which I actually applied. I scheduled all my travel personally through the company's travel portal for an interview date another week out. I was told to study a handful of subjects for the interviews, which were 45 minutes with each staff member from 9am to 4:00pm, except for lunch. It was also at this point that I was also switched between recruiters.

Meeting with 9 people that day, I can say that I met a gamut of personalities. The process was somewhat chaotic, with some interviewers not knowing the conference room we were suppose to be in. The format of each interview was generally 5-10 minutes of questions about your resume/experience, 25 minutes of open ended technical questions, and the remainder devoted to your questions about the job. Questions about the work in the position are futile; everyone is tight lipped about the work going on. The usual answer was that it is a small group that functions like a startup. Some people were much more interactive about digging into your resume while other jumped right into the technical questions This amount of assistance with design problems at the whiteboard was similarly varied. One interviewer was quite happy in being contrary to all of my plausible answers to the open ended problems because they weren't what he was thinking. A good strategy would be to talk through everything and be as animate as possible.

The hour+ lunch with the hiring manager was easy, but my suspicions about this position being a downgrade were confirmed. To paraphrase, they put people in this position for 'a while' till people get used to things. This was deflating, but I kept with the interview.

Meeting with the recruiter was pointless and somewhat unpleasant. When asked about the salary I wanted, I told him I had a rough number in mind but didn't have any data on this position to compare it too. He told me I didn't have to worry because I would be compare to people coming from top-tier (read: better) schools. This didn't bode well, considering 80% of the staff I interviewed with went to Stanford. I did have one very rude interviewer. He showed up late to our meeting and was clearly uninterested in the interview. He was the only person to not have my resume available. While I was working out problems on the board, he was on his phone checking emails the entire time. In retrospect, it should have said something to get his attention.

After sending out thank-yous to the staff, I was informed that they would making a decision in a week and that I would hear back. I followed up after a week to learn they wanted to interview one more candidate but it was between me and him (a suspicious level of detail). They would get back to me in another week. Another week and a half went by so I followed up again. This is when I was informed the position was a better fit for the other candidate (a weird way to let some down).

Overall, it was a really good exercise in a comprehensive interview process, but the inflated ego of some employees and the hand-waving about the position did leave a bitter taste in my mouth about working at Apple.

Interview Questions

• You have a metal sphere hanging from a spring in an elevator. You would like to measure the movement of the ball relative to the carriage throughout the day. A.) Come up with a list of devices you could use to measure the movement. B.) Use the capacitance formed by the ball and a metal plate on the elevator floor to create a measurement device for a microcontroller.   1 Answer
    • Come up with several different circuits (block diagrams) of ways to measure a capacitor.   Answer Question
    • You have a strain gauge with a nominal resistance of 10K and varies by only +/- 1% under maximum load. Design a circuit to measure this sensor with a output range of a full 0-5V.

Part 2: If you needed 1000 different levels of digital accuracy, how many bits would you need in an ADC?
      1 Answer

Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Initial contact was made through a phone screen interview with the Apple recruiter. After deterimining that the opportunity was a good fit, a 1:1 interview was arranged with 2 of the current managers in the organization. The interviews were handled professionally, and the two managers were completely in sync with the needs of the business, and what kind of individual would be a good fit. Both 1:1's lasted 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What equipment safety standards am I familiar with, and describe the differnces between the standards.   Answer Question

IOS Automation/Location Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

INTERVIEW PROCESS:
    ===================
    Usual way is 3 phone screens and one onsite interview with many people

I was initially called through a technical recruiter for a pre-screening to next level of interview and has been screened to next call and the following questions were asked in the next rounds!!
    Few questions in the first round of interview and then to the second round of interview was scheduled.

An interview just said hi and has been just jumped into the too technical questions like a rapid fire round :
    I am ok with C, C++, Objective C and asked about Memory Allocation in C , C++
    Remove duplicates in a list with the best time complexity
    Keyword "@property, synthesize and diff between atomic and non atomic"
    Virtual functions and Overloading, Overriding functions
    Design Patterns
    Diff between hash and array in Perl

It was a 30 min interview process!!

All was kool, but should its more kind of timely questions which you have to answer.
    And finally said will get back to you after discussion with the senior management level !!

Just said we will get back to you and no response..which i assumed to be declined!!

Experience was decent one, but remember you have to be attentive to answer the questions in depth !!

Interview Questions

• Remove duplicates with best time complexity   Answer Question
    • Inheritance, Polymorphism in C. Memory allocation in C, C++. What is the new keyword does?   Answer Question

RF Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

Submitted my resume to an Apple rep at a career fair some time ago. Got a call to set up a phone interview later in the week. The interviewer called on time and was very polite. After sharing some info about the group and position the interviewer asked me a few questions about my resume. Then came the technical questions which weren't that hard. All in all a good experience and will be waiting to hear back in the next week.

Interview Questions

• In C, say you had the string "Hello". Describe how you'd output the string backwards.   2 Answers
    • If you have an int type that's 32 bits, how can you reaarange the bytes?   Answer Question