Apple Engineering Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apple Engineering Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 20, 2017

3.4

51 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple in June 2017.

Interview

First, there was a recruiter discussion (screening effort), followed by a call with a peer role. The call was about 40 minutes long, and focused mainly on my experience and a description of the position being applied for (all pretty straight forward). Feedback was tailored towards communication and thinking methodologies. The next call (committed to during the first call) was with the position's direct supervisor, and was structured much differently. It was more conversational, discussing in detail a technical challenge in my experience. The interviewer asked many probing and curiosity based questions, which seemed to be a conversational test of my knowledge and thinking strategy, as well as a performance of my communication skills. This call concluded with an invitation to visit the campus.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a technical challenge you've encountered, and how you overcame it."   Answer Question

Engineer Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

I got the phone call from the HR recruiter, she scheduled the phone interview with hire manager for me. The hire manager was quite nice. He asked me about the general working experience, there are several technical questions were asked, maybe i didn't answer it very well, haven't hear from HR since the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• What will do if one of the key parts failed the spec two weeks before the product launch. What will be your actual plan, which department will you contact?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

Pretty long day with 9 consecutive 45-min interviews. Everyone was friendly, very smart. Met with people at all levels and a variety of roles, including engineers, program managers, and QA. Seemed more about the cultural fit, relationship building, and the core part of an EPM duties vs factors to consider when trying to go above and beyond. Overall, a good exprience and welcome people to enjoy it.

Interview Questions

• Case study to think through different variables about next gen technology   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Extremely elaborate and painfully long. Recruiters are subpar and very poor in terms of communication. Often handed off from one recruiter to another.

Recruiter 1 reached out for phone screen with interviewer 1. Interviewer 1 missed the phone screen appointment. Recruiter reached out and set up a followup call. Although I asked for confirmation on the rescheduled time, no confirmation received. So I wasn't expecting the call when suddenly the interviewer 1 calls on the rescheduled date !

After the call went well then recruiter reached out 1 week later to set up phone screen 2. After giving a few dates, phone screen 2 was scheduled 2 weeks later.

Phone screen 2 seemed to go well but things went quiet for 2 weeks. Then a new recruiter reached out to schedule an onsite and after I said yes to onsite it took one more week for the recruiter to ask for dates!

After I provided the dates the recruiter again went quiet for 2 weeks and then came out of the blue to again ask for dates. I provided the dates and again no response for 1 week and then he again comes back and asks for dates ! After I provide the dates again quiet period for a week. I was really surprised when he actually ended up setting me for a in-person interview.

The in-person interview 'seemed' to go well. Most people I spoke to seemed to be either genuinely nice or nerdish in an Apple kind of way. In the end the senior most person on the interviewing team actually told me 'talk to you soon' ! The recruiter told me to reach out and also let him know how things went. Noticeably, the general theme that came across was that the team was not happy with the previous EPM in that role.

And then lo behold, no word, not a single peep from the recruiter after 1 month. That was disappointing but not entirely surprising given how the recruiter had been communicating all along. I know Apple is a most sought after company and they have more people trying to get in than the number of positions available but this is really very unprofessional to leave a candidate hanging, especially after the candidate has invested so much time in the whole process. I have had an opportunity to interview with Apple in the past and the unprofessionalism of their recruiters has been very consistent both times.

My 2 cents - I felt that if they are not moving fast enough then it means that they want to try out the other candidates in the pipeline and want to keep you as a backup in case the other candidates don't work out. So keep that in mind as you work through the process.

Needless to say, Apple recruitment process is not even closely comparable to the user experience of those awesome apple products! Truly unfortunate for such a great company.

Engineering Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by Apple after their recruiter saw my profile on LinkedIn. The recruiter informed me of a position that I may be a match. I sent my most resume to the recruiter to pass along to the hiring manager. I was contacted a couple of weeks later and a phone interview was arranged. I was sent some non-disclosure forms and permissions to perform a background check. The project is a new product with a lot of secrecy surrounding it. I understanding that is standard for each new product release. The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes. The hiring manager indicated there were several items in my resume that were of interest to her. We discussed at a high level the jobs that were available and she determined from my more detailed description of my experiences which positions should thought would be a fit. She said she wanted to discuss my resume and her thoughts with her director and she would get back to me.

After about 5 weeks, I received an email from the recruiter indicating they were interesting in have me come in for a day-long interview. She gave me a short description of the interview process, a key being a technical presentation I was to make to some of the staff. It could be a topic of my choosing, to last up to 30 minutes. I arrived at Apple and was met by the recruiter who described how my day was laid out. I met with 9 interviewers of varying levels of influence and experience, for about 30 minutes each. The questions ranged from discussing my roles in various projects I worked on, interaction with project team members and customers, how I dealt with various stressful situations and my philosophies on project management methodologies. Technical questions about various tools were asked but not in very great detail. I was able to ask the interview team any questions not specific to the project for which I was interviewing. Lunch was provided and I was joined by one of my interviewers so that we could also spend part of that time interviewing. After lunch was my presentation. Three of my interviewers attended and occasionally asked questions about different aspects of the project I chose to speak about.

The process was not as intimidating as I expected. The interviewers were engaging and I felt at ease during the process. After the interview, I waited almost 2 months before receiving notification that I did not get the position. They were looking for someone with a different skillset. I asked for feedback on my interview (nothing project specific), but was told because of the secret nature of project they could not give me any additional feedback. That was a bit disappointing, since I did not get any negative indication during the process.

Interview Questions

• How do you put in place testing for a product that might cause personal injury to the user?   3 Answers

Software Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

I interviewed with the IS&T division, which has a pretty poor reputation. I found the interviews, both phone and in person, to be reasonable and fair, although not the high-caliber type of technical questioning I was expecting from reading other reviews of Apple Interviews. IS&T is mostly shoved into some ugly, noisy and crowded buildings in Sunnyvale and is a thoroughly unpleasant place to interview. I've been in other campuses and this is about as far from Apple as you can imagine. The smell of sweat, harsh lights and bare concrete floors, while every hall, corner, breakout rooms, lunch area, etc., filled with very tired-looking Indian contractors.

But despite the IS&T conditions, I found the whole process extremely frustrating, and ultimately declined, because of Apple HR. In my mind, any company with as dysfunctional an HR department shows how they really feel about their resources and is not one I want to work at.

I had applied for several positions through Apple's recruitment portal, but this was actually the third time that Apple HR reached out to me about a position I had NOT applied for. Each time the hiring manager for the position seemed baffled that I had been given to them for consideration, making for some awkward conversations. The third time they reached out to me I was extremely reluctant to proceed and had two offers in hand, so I was very clear that I was under time constraints. They said "no problem, we can do this very quick".

Every step of the process was met with mystery delays. They set up an initial phone screen then delayed it without explanation. Then set up an on-site - knowing I was running out of time - for a week later - and then delayed it also without explanation. A week later they let me know that they were interested and would like to make an offer - but did not actually make an offer, just a verbal so that I would turn down the other offers. Over the next week I sent emails and left voice mails asking for any kind of updates, with absolutely no response.

At this point I had had enough and took a really terrific offer in the south bay.

Five weeks later (!) Apple HR sent me a written offer, and I was more than a little pleased to turn them down.

Interview Questions

• Really mediocre technical questions - and they got two of them wrong! Management questions were typical "how would you handle this..." type of questions, but I got the impression they weren't really listening to the answers.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

After an Apple recruiter phone screen and a phone screen with the hiring manager, I interviewed with 17 people over two days. The first day was interviewing with people in the same team as the open position, and people in other teams that I would work with. The second day was interviews with higher-level people (senior managers, directors, etc.).

Software Engineering Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple in December 2015.

Interview

I had 2 rounds of phone interviews. The hiring manager chatted a bit about my current job and some architectural design questions followed by a couple of simple algorithm questions. A few days later, a software engineer asked some technical questions, many specific to Java, and a couple of simple algorithm questions.

The on-site interview was 6 hours long. 5 interviews, each with a panel of 2 plus lunch. The hiring manager drilled down on the architectural design questions, followed by 2 interviewers on DB related questions and 7 interviewers on algorithm questions.

The positives: I felt the interviewers respected me as a candidates, their body language were mostly positive. A brief tour around the campus was also very good. The recruiting process was quick and no repeated visits was required.

The negatives: I was treated like a robot to solve algorithm questions. I have nearly 20 years of coding experience in server side Java yet no one asked about my resume, the technologies and processes I've used or my leadership experience. Some didn't even read my resume before the interview. I asked what technologies they're currently using and let's just say the answers didn't excite me very much.

Finally, a note to the Apple engineers: Smile! You're human beings, not robots. And you're hiring human beings, not robots.

Interview Questions

• Not the actual question, I've modified a bit:

Find the element(s) in an integer array such that if it's removed, the rest of the array can be divided into 2 sub-arrays of equal sums. The sub-arrays need not contain contiguous elements. There may be 0 or more answers.   2 Answers

Engineering Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Super nice people. They want to know about you and your personality and if you will fit before moving on to technical questions. Pretty interesting interview. The manager calls you in talks to you about the role asks some questions and gives you the opportunity to ask questions. No discussion of products.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle fitting in in the first 90 days.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process occurred in 3 rounds. The first two rounds consisted of 30 minute phone interviews with a manager and then a team member. Multiple reschedules occurred due to people being unavailable. I was then flown out for the final onsite interview round. The onsite interviews were basically a series of 45 minute cross functional interviews with engineers, managers, and team members. There was a pretty good mix of technical questions, program management situational questions, and questions regarding prior PM experience.

Although I wouldn't say the questions were particularly difficult or unexpected, the onsite interview was exhausting due to having to handle about seven 45 minute interviews in a row. They were even asking interview questions during lunch. That being said everyone on the team was very friendly and accommodating. Overall, I left the place with a positive vibe regarding the team. I heard about 1.5 weeks after the final round that they were moving forward with the offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe three key things that you believe are essential to being a good program manager. Describe the process of deciding when to escalate an issue.   2 Answers